It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Doomsday Prepper Test

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Scored 8-12 with just the stuff I happen to have and where I happen to live.

I think it's funny there were no questions about physical health/fitness.

To watch a show like "Doomsday Preppers" one would conclude morbid obesity were a requirement to survive.

Maybe grizzly hibernation style?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I scored 53, 4-8 months. I need to figure out how to generate electricity, hmm. Maybe I could construct a hamster wheel type thing for my lab to run on (just kidding). Thanks OP for the posting, the quiz was fun.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by havok

I thought the power/generator question to be mute as well. Oil lamps from rendered fat, candles from beeswax, and wood for heat. Honestly, true preppers won't need electricity. Give up the grid.

I agree to that. Electricity is a Luxury.

We have means to it with hydro power on the property powered by the river but in the winter it will freeze up. So thats why you have the back up wood stove and trees as far as the eye can see.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Most of this did not apply to me.

They asked for a bug out vehicle and I have horses that I would drag out of the training stable, and do a bit of horse camping in the mountains If people want to steal from me that will need to get close enough to me to do it and horses are great early warnng systems. Fuel for them is growing out of the ground fuel for the rider 'ditto' a few rabbit snares, a couple of ropes and the old cavalry methods and I'm golden.

You ever eat a pine tree?
Food is out there of you are not picky.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i had a friend here score 1-2 weeks.

this is odd considering the average person accidentally has enough water and heat for 2 weeks, even if they dont know it.
and you dont even NEED food for 2 weeks, so why would a person quickly die out?

but then i think about sandy and how east coasters were digging into dumpsters for food after only 3 days...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
got 16-20 months, but my score was being brought down because I answered no to all the "bug-out" questions.

Must be nice to have 100s of gallons of water per person, 100s of gallons/pounds/cords of fuels and that is a lot of food, not to mention you must be special forces with a degree as a doctor....lol

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The survey is BS.

If you answer the best for every question you get a score of 100 and only 2 years survival !!

So if the SHTF and society totally breaks down, then all of humanity is dead after 2 year - because even the best special forces doctor super prepared people are dead, so what hope do the rest have.

Surely someone that prepared could last longer, how have humans been living for millennia?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I scored 4 to 8 months LOL! and I am 60 years old. I need to buy booze to barter with LOL! I don't have any horses but I do have a donkey, I don't think an EMP will hurt ole "Quincy".
edit on 12-1-2013 by grumpydaysleeper because: forgot something

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

got 16-20 months, but my score was being brought down because I answered no to all the "bug-out" questions.

Must be nice to have 100s of gallons of water per person, 100s of gallons/pounds/cords of fuels and that is a lot of food, not to mention you must be special forces with a degree as a doctor....lol

wow, someone is bitter because they got a low score on a BS test.
The test just goes up to EMT I believe and 100 gallons is really not that much.
www.homelandpreparedness.com.../dbase1.exm&template=qk/prod_supp_water_sr2.htm&0_option=1&0=2C< br /> 2 of those don't take up a whole lot of space

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

wow, someone is bitter because they got a low score on a BS test.
The test just goes up to EMT I believe and 100 gallons is really not that much.
www.homelandpreparedness.com.../dbase1.exm&template=qk/prod_supp_water_sr2.htm&0_option=1&0=2C< br /> 2 of those don't take up a whole lot of space

Actually I was just kidding...the water thing is easy to fix if you have supply somewhere and get a filter system. I have a year round stream from mountain run off 2 min walk from my house so I scored close to max on water...not sure why not max though I only keep about 10 cases of bottle water in the house, but a running stream (and two rivers not too far away) with a reverse osmosis filtration should last a long while.

Food wise I run with about 3 month supply of freeze dry and 200 pounds of white rice. I'm not into canning yet, but my friends say that home canned meat is really good, so I'm going to look into that since I buy my meat by the 1/2 cow from a friend, and if I lost electricity I would want to can it so it does not spoil. Also, I have ability to fish and hunt near my house.

Gun wise I'm good... and I would expect hunting to be a big part of my survival, but the test doesn't really differentiate between a place where a guy can hunt deer and 50 other types of animals with lots of fish and a place where people will have house dogs and cats as about the only game available.

Honestly I feel if you are surviving well at 3 months then you are GTG for however long you need. The whole bug out idea is one for the big cities, and though I'm near Vancouver Washington I'm well on the outskirts, so just where am I to bug out to? How do I carry all my food gear fuel? I find that part funny in they seem to suggest you need a fortified shelter somewhere in the woods for long term survival. I don't see roads as a viable option and I would rather make my stand at my house than in my car if need be.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Gun wise I'm good... and I would expect hunting to be a big part of my survival, but the test doesn't really differentiate between a place where a guy can hunt deer and 50 other types of animals with lots of fish and a place where people will have house dogs and cats as about the only game available.

Honestly I feel if you are surviving well at 3 months then you are GTG for however long you need. The whole bug out idea is one for the big cities, and though I'm near Vancouver Washington I'm well on the outskirts, so just where am I to bug out to? How do I carry all my food gear fuel? I find that part funny in they seem to suggest you need a fortified shelter somewhere in the woods for long term survival. I don't see roads as a viable option and I would rather make my stand at my house than in my car if need be.

Yeah I felt the test really left out some important things and placed too much importance on others. Like the whole bug out thing and you should have a bunker or a safe room AND a bug out vehicle. Then for some reason the number of guns really effects things. I don't see why someone would need more than 3. For those on a budget you can get a handgun and rifle that use the same ammo and a shotty. Plus why in the hell would you need non-lethal weapons? The only non-lethal weapon I would use is a warning shot and whatever John Wayne or Clint Eastwood-esque quote I could think of.
I don't get the whole 2 year thing, I mean honestly if you can make it the first couple weeks and find out the best way to get food and water in your area then you will live until disease or someone else kills you and personally I think the number of people that will be out killing everyone will be pretty low.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Total Score: 44 - 2 to 4 months, mainly down to medical training, supplies and experience. No fire arms here though

edit on 17-1-2013 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join