It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Doomsday Prepper Test

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I don't care for the question How many guns do you have?
Or How much ammunition do you have?
If the government wants this information they WILL get it.

Don't take the test unless you don't care what the government knows about you already.
Sorry, otherwise it would be interesting.

Uhm, they didn't ask for an email, or any other info. I felt rather anonymous, and barring the fact that they logged my IP addy (which is dynamic anyways), I felt it was a rather unintrusive poll. (I didn't check the fine print to see if they were collecting information.)

I also was conservative in my numbers. They didn't ask about compound bows and blackpowder stores, so even though they were going by guns and ammo for their results, they forget some people are going primitive once modern stockpiles get depleted.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Total score of 67, 8-12 additional survival time, but I may not have been completely honest in a couple areas. It probably evens out so yes I would say mid 60's with my skill sets would be about right. Never prepped enough though.
edit on 10-1-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
lol one week here

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dirtydog
I've got 2-4 months oh hell. I think i will just drink the booze instead of bartering it. rofl

Meet your twin.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
2 to 4 months here...not bad

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Strange that they didn't ask how much toilet paper you had in stock. I got a one to two month rating, just where I figured I was. 47
edit on 10-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Actually, a year of supplies is enough to get by while the mess runs it's course. I'm rural too, two lakes stream fed and constantly running water. 28 acres of farmland and woods.

To resolve the lack of fuel, which will be left to scavenging from underground tanks at gas stations by manual pumps once the grid goes down, and only probably last for the first three months anyway, I have dogs for mushing. (Note to self: Do a thread on "Urban Mushing" someday. Google the term as a prelude. You'll be surprised.)

Horses are going to be rare, and are expensive to feed, but dogs are a dime a dozen. I have three treadle machines, foot powered, and make harnesses for dogs. Once you hook them to a gang line, they fall into a pack mentality, and as long as you have one dog who knows the "mushing" commands as lead, the others follow accordingly. It's a phenomena, but also the future of transportation in the post SHTF world.

A quick video:

I train dogs to "mush", for their owners. I had a GSD that would run at 35 mph, as I have a speedometer on my mountain bike, and with a single gang and one dog, I was amazed. Sorry for wandering off topic, but when we are worried about fuel for our vehicles, there are alternate modes of transportation that I am sure of. A three dog gangline can run for 10 miles at a stretch, at a nice 10 mph pace. The commands are basically the same as a horse, "gee" for right, and "haw" for left, but I'll have to do a thread listing the details.

Basically, I'm not relying upon having a motor vehicle to run that is EMP hardened, or even worrying about fuel for it. When the SHTF, I'm going directly to urban mushing for transportation after the fuel runs out.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Interesting test. I checked out the questions but was too paranoid to answer any of them. Who knows? Could be a front for gathering info. In this day and age you can never be too safe.

ROLF! Wow you too?
2nd

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I overstated my supplies.

I scored a 15. They give me 1-2 weeks. Got a generator for hurricanes and right now with no gas. LOL.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
score of 66
8-12 months.

even though i have 1 gun, my tip was to have more guns and ammo...

i think with the meager, yet all around plans i have, i could live much longer then a year.
the test is pretty misleading, storage of items dosnt necessarily = more time lol

my plans even had year round gardening, infinite clean water, bug out location.
and yet i still only get a year? the rest is just wit and skill.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Answering the questions truthfully, I get 57 points. 4 to 8 months.

This is what I gathered by looking at it from the designers point of view.

Maximum score is 100 which is 20 points each section. That will yield 24 months.

Scoring is …

Water…………

Storage.
200G = 10

water supply.

sources max 5
Well 5
Spring 4
River 3
Lake 2
Pond 1

Distance slider will zero source points out for any distance greater than zero.

5 for purification.

Food………………..

Storage. Max 10
4 meat
3 veg
3 grain
10 MRE

renewable food
2 garden
1 livestock
1 orchard
1 fish.

Means to replenish. Max 5 if one of the above selected.
Canning 2
Jarring 4
Dehydrating 1
Year around gardening 4

Shelter……………….

Rual 4

Bunker 3

Generate electricity max 4
Gas 4
Solar 3
Hydro 3
Wind 3

Heat max 3
Wood 3
Propane 3
Solar 3
Geo 2

Cook max 3
Wood 3
Propane 2
Solar 1

Bug out location
Fuel to get there 1
Plan to get there 2

Security…………….
Training
Basic 2
Swat 5

Firearms
Five guns 2
Standardized 1
Thousand rounds 2

Enhancements
Night vision 1
Body armor 1
NBC 1
Fortified 1
Non lethal 1

Group
Twenty people 2
Survivalist 3

X factor…………..

Prepared for medical. Max 4
Medicine 2
Kit 2
Trained
Basic 1
EMT 2

Communications
Short range 3
Long range 1

Bug out vehicle
Fuel and capacity 1
Diesel 1
4wd 1
EMP proof 1

Bartering. Max 4
Ammo 1
Food 1
Medical 1
Alcohol tobacco 1
Currency 1

How well can you handle emergency
Max 4

According to them, you can get 8 to 12 months with zero water and zero food.

You will be well sheltered, secured, and cared for.
But you will make it 12 months while you die of thirst, and starve to death from day one.

edit on 11-1-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think anyone who has 4-6 months of supplies will outlast the average joe citizen. The first 3 months will be the most telling. Beyond that, you will be doing enough to ensure your groups survival.

Just keep it together for three months while the world around you goes crazy. Aye?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Total score 58

Survival...4-8 months

My security score is low at 6, which I knew it would be. I don't intend on my family and myself staying put in a doomsday scenario. We have a bug out location. My prepping was and always has been geared toward making it to that location.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
got 16-20 months, but my score was being brought down because I answered no to all the "bug-out" questions.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Score of 79. 12-16 months. The only thing I am shy on is food, but I plan on hunting and fishing, and preserving, but I can support 10 people for roughly a year. Nice to know.

I'm in the middle of nowhere 30 miles one way and 100 miles the other way to the next town
said i was low on food but here I can get 10 to 20 fish a day no problem summer or winter

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
got 16-20 months, but my score was being brought down because I answered no to all the "bug-out" questions.

Ya same here I'm don't need a bug-out place
I'm there already

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
well I did the test again but this time I lied. I gave the max on what would improve the score while putting in the minimum and yes to all the stuff that improved the score.
The thing said 24 months and my water score was low even though there was no way to make it higher with the BS answers I gave it.
If you really were in the position to fill out the test the way I did in the part 2 BS version you would live a hell of a lot longer than 2 years. So the test is really just a stupid flash game.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Gazrok

Actually, a year of supplies is enough to get by while the mess runs it's course. I'm rural too, two lakes stream fed and constantly running water. 28 acres of farmland and woods.

To resolve the lack of fuel, which will be left to scavenging from underground tanks at gas stations by manual pumps once the grid goes down, and only probably last for the first three months anyway, I have dogs for mushing. (Note to self: Do a thread on "Urban Mushing" someday. Google the term as a prelude. You'll be surprised.)

Horses are going to be rare, and are expensive to feed, but dogs are a dime a dozen. I have three treadle machines, foot powered, and make harnesses for dogs. Once you hook them to a gang line, they fall into a pack mentality, and as long as you have one dog who knows the "mushing" commands as lead, the others follow accordingly. It's a phenomena, but also the future of transportation in the post SHTF world.

A quick video:

I train dogs to "mush", for their owners. I had a GSD that would run at 35 mph, as I have a speedometer on my mountain bike, and with a single gang and one dog, I was amazed. Sorry for wandering off topic, but when we are worried about fuel for our vehicles, there are alternate modes of transportation that I am sure of. A three dog gangline can run for 10 miles at a stretch, at a nice 10 mph pace. The commands are basically the same as a horse, "gee" for right, and "haw" for left, but I'll have to do a thread listing the details.

Basically, I'm not relying upon having a motor vehicle to run that is EMP hardened, or even worrying about fuel for it. When the SHTF, I'm going directly to urban mushing for transportation after the fuel runs out.

Dogs are great. Great ideas there. I figured I could use my dogs for packing but they could still run will nilly. Your idea is super, keep them in line, focused and together - they could pull a cart of some sort. I know you can build a carrier so that even a heavy load can be pulled quite easily. Another great thing with my dogs is they are trained to hunt their own food (which they would share with me
) so one more plus.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The only thing about the test was it should have included "Are you willing to eat people" that would get us another few weeks each

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
4-8 months. Not bad I guess for just the junk I have laying around the house.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join