It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Microsoft Being Sabotaged From The Inside?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks to daskakik for saying pretty much what I would re bloatware. I would just add one thing, I also define bloatware as residual code that has been left in place in an OS in the fear that it impacts negatively in some way when taken out.

I don't believe MS has been rebuilt from ground up for years (I may be wrong, but I don't think so). On my current system I can use all peripherals without adding additional drivers. The software I have added I would have added to any MS system.

I believe the main issue to be the principle behind the relevant OS. For MS this is to protect their property rights and extrude the maximum profit from their platform. This philosophy, in my opinion, will always lead to the detriment of a system as it will focus more on protection than development.

The opensource model focuses on development. They actively encourage users to provide tech support to the community. This means you have a wide audience of developers that contribute their own time and effort into taking the OS forward.

As for the opinion that a lot of users don't know what they are doing with computers so shouldn't try Linux. How is that any different from MS. If you only use your pc for web browsing and media playback then Linux is ideal. A small footprint that utilises your hardware well without degrading user experience by running a horrendous amount of background services.

If you are reading this thread and wondering what I am talking about then go to the Linux Mint/Ubuntu (have to admit I am not a fan of the latest Ubuntu release) website download and burn an install cd/dvd and try it. It allows you to try the operating system without installing (live version), installing within windows or setting up a dual boot system (a bit more advanced but manageable with some experience).

As for the OP. Yes MS is being sabotaged from the inside, but not deliberately. Its own size, need to protect itself, stranglehold on hardware market is what is creating the issue. The fact that MS have to ensure it is compatible with everything means the user is suffering.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I've been tinkering around with Windows 8 for the past few days now. My wife and I both hate it. So we are downgrading her laptop back to Windows 7.

I'm sure it is a fine operating system, it is just not for us. It feels like it was designed more for tablets than laptops and desktops.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Windows 7 is brilliant...i have a sub $400 Asus laptop running it, and it totally rooks.

Apple?

Well a certain military wins whichever product you buy.....

Why not just program your own Os?

Its not that hard.

In the old days, wow, you dialled a number.
edit on 10-1-2013 by OrionsWitness because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join