It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Microsoft Being Sabotaged From The Inside?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
For a long time I have been wanting to get a new laptop. I was all set to get the baddest laptop money could by. Something along the lines of an Alienware M18x but I have been holding off because of the bad experience I have had with Windows Vista. I thought maybe Microsoft would clean up their act and improve later operating systems but no.

Valves Gabe Newell Calls Windows 8 This Giant Sadness

"The thing about Windows 8 wasn’t just [Microsoft's] distribution. As somebody who participates in the overall PC ecosystem, it’s totally great when faster wireless networks and standards come out, or when graphics get faster. Windows 8 was like this giant sadness. It just hurts everybody in the PC business. Rather than everybody being all excited to go buy a new PC, buying new software to run on it, we’ve had a 20+ percent decline in PC sales -- it’s like "holy cow that’s not what the new generation of the operating system is supposed to do." There’s supposed to be a 40 percent uptake, not a 20 percent decline, so that’s what really scares me. When I started using it I was like "oh my god..." I find [Windows 8] unusable."

He is right and now I'm begging to think there is something more going on over at Microsoft that just crappy programming.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
MS is not responsible for the decline of PC computing, mobile computing is the culprit. Gabe Newell is just butt-hurt that MS now has a software store and he has to compete with them when it comes to selling games. Windows 8 is a great operating system, I know because I use it every day and work as an I.T. Professional. In fact if you look at Steam (Gabe's game distribution service), Windows 8 already has a greater share of his user-base than Apple and Linux combined. This is just a fat rich dude crying because he has some more competition. MS isn't being sabotaged from within, they are moving forward and I expect that 2013 will be a benchmark year for them.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Just get a Macbook Pro and call it done.

Smartest thing I ever did was get away from MS. I never have any problems with virus's, spyware, registry errors...Everything. Just. Works.

The "user experience" is also nicer, the materials are better as well.

It seems the only people that dump on OSX are the people that can't afford it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Don't worry this is all part of the show, there is a golden rule in the business world. I forgot whats it called but almost every single company uses it in one way or the other.

Basically its the rule of 2 it started out really early as a way to relieve stress from your employee's, when a company produces a product and its a success that's good, however this puts allot of stress on the people who need to relaunch another product later on. So what did they figure out was basically on good product one bad.
This way in the long term you keep productivity.

Now I know its hard to believe but do the test, lets count backwards.

Windows 8 Failure
Windows 7 huge succes
Windows vista Terrible
Windows XP huge success
Windows ME/2000 biggest flop in microsoft history.
Windows 98 huge success
etc.

Same goes for apple or most products in the world. Iphone 4, Iphone 4S ?lol

Same goes for tv's
3D tv's huge flop
LED hd tv's huge success
Plasma tv's huge flop^
LCD tv's huge success

EDIT: Lol at poster above, MAC is a religion/cult not a software company, and if you wanna pay more for less ( outdated technologies ) then go mac.
It may look better but in the end its basically windows lite lol.
But if you like its that's what matters in the end.

edit on 10-1-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
windows 8 does suck

I use windows 7 highly modified, alienware m17x R4 :d shes a beast Jim!

I run OSX, backtrack, and winxp in virtualbox on here also overtop of win7 runs like a dream.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Windows 8 is not a failure it's been out for 3 months and has sold 60 million copies to date; it's no Vista. And Windows 2000 was a great success for MS and is a completely different OS from WIndows ME. Check your facts.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

along the lines of what you are saying, i believe that microsoft is more corrupt on the inside.

based on the inflated and growing size of every new release, i would think that every department there has to continually present an defensive argument why their piece of code that they contribute is absolutly important .
they continually add lines to their own precious code in an effort to remain employed and feed their families, never admitting that what they are doing could be simplified if not eliminated to make an OS that would be streamlined , much faster using less resources.

windows 8 is a larger program than the older computer's hard discs could even hold.
i don't think they realize how far they have strayed from producing a sensible product.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Windows 9 will be sweet tho, their already working on it. Will also be the last OS they'l ever launch ( google project blue)

I use cracked 8 and gaming wise it does( believe it or not gives some extra fps ) and in allot of ways its faster then 7, but if feels so clunky with the metro system + desktopt. the metro should have been standalone, no point really in using desktop anymore, So i'm sure they will completely remove desktop in 9.

Also windows is just starting to build a whole eco system.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
In my opinion, who cares. Open source is the future. Current bloatware distros like windows/mac os are falling behind consumer needs in so many ways. Due in part to conflicting interests with partners/proprietary software requirements and stagnant non-adaptive developmental paths.

People will argue but I cant do this or that (mainly gaming and high end graphics design) on opensource software. You will be surprised. Yes its not there yet but with the recent developments working with nvidia arch we are not that far off.

Try it and be pleasantly surprised. Current favourite is Linux Mint. The thing is, the more people use this the more it gets attention and the more hardware manufacturers come on board and release source code for development.

Just imagine running a system which you can add endless software to for free, upgrade to latest version for free, get good support for free and don't have to download loads of addition bloated software that benefits hardware retailers more than the end user.

Linux is the future.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

Lol if your telling me windows 2000 was a succes then I'd suggest you check your facts lol. and Yes my bad indeed ME something else.

Also windows 8 is a failure, check their prices and the way their promoting the damn thing.
I can now buy legally windows 8 for 14€ in de computer store LOL.

Also they actually made it possible ( i did it this way ) to legally download 8 with a cracked Windows 7.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

Lol if your telling me windows 2000 was a succes then I'd suggest you check your facts lol. and Yes my bad indeed ME something else.

Also windows 8 is a failure, check their prices and the way their promoting the damn thing.
I can now buy legally windows 8 for 14€ in de computer store LOL.

Also they actually made it possible ( i did it this way ) to legally download 8 with a cracked Windows 7.

every win 7 crack i found had either a rootkit or a bios kit built into it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Regarding WIndows 2000, it was widely adopted in the commercial sector and was the first OS to bring in the Active Directory model that is used to this very day. While not the consumer succes that XP would become, it did introduce the NT Kernel to the consumer world, which has been the basis of every subsequent commercial OS Microsoft has made since. I'd call that a success.

Wait a sec, MS has priced their software lower than ever, and you take that as a bad thing, while at the same time harping on the wonders of free open source software? I can buy Mac OS X on the cheap, does that mean is sucks? It uses a Linux Kernel, but it's not open source. Is it good or does it blow?

Windows 7 is a great OS, and Windows 8 is an improvement on the concept. A UI change doesn't make a bad OS.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have zero issues with 8. I DID when I first installed it. I went WTFBBQ for a while, then I got the hang of it. I could see with a touch screen that I would have WAY more fun with 8, but since I don't I just accept that sometimes I have to put my mouse in the corner for a few things. Not a big deal.

It is secure. It boots darn fast. It shuts down even faster. It is able to run with minimum hardware, hell even mid-range XP machines would do just fine with some more RAM (cheap as we all know.) I can't fault it in any way that makes me actually care.

You know, a car comes out and it looks different some times. But it is faster, handles better, and is more crash-worthy than its predecessor. It might not be the "great success" of 7 but it is still a good OS.

I'll also tell you that I'd much rather teach a total computer neophyte (like my grandmom) how to use 8 vs. any other. Especially with a touch screen.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

Bloatware has nothing to do with Microsoft. Bloatware is loaded onto computers by computer manufacturers like sony or HP, not Microsoft.

As for the OP.
Windows 7 is a dream. I had my current computer built for me by a company that specializes in it, as I didn't have the time to build it myself. It didn't come with bloatware, which was one of the major reasons why I chose the company. I have only had to turn off my computer in the last year and a half a few times for updates. And once when I accidentally corrupted my display drivers, don't ask.

Windows 7 is probably the best OS I've ever used. I want to get 8, but I'm waiting till I have the money for a touch screen, as that's where it really shines imo.

The problem with windows has always been two things; The majority of PC users have no idea what they are doing on a computer, and software companies have generally had lax standards. The second part Microsoft took care of by instituting strict standards for programs. Most blue screens of death were the result of programs attempting improper access and freezing your computer up. This is why you don't hear much about BSODs anymore, they rarely happen now that Microsoft has become so stringent.

The first part, users not having a clue about what they are doing, isn't something microsoft can really do anything about, and isn't their fault. My corrupting the display drivers wasn't Microsoft's fault, or Win7's. It was mine because I did something stupid.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Seems to me that you just don't need a new computer for windows 8 as 5 year old hardware runs it just fine. I can understand that hardware retailers and producers are not happy with it, but we the consumers should be.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by murch

Bloatware has nothing to do with Microsoft. Bloatware is loaded onto computers by computer manufacturers like sony or HP, not Microsoft.

Win 8/32 bit installation size - 16GB
Win 8/64 bit installation size - 20GB
Ubuntu 12.04 installation size - 5GB
Mint Linux 10 installation size - 4GB

The numbers don't lie. The OS alone takes up 4-5 times the space needed by freeware alternatives using GUIs.

edit on 10-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

More likely to do with the corporate culture of the company.

Creative power is probably suppressed due to ego and bullying.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
ubuntu
ubuntu
ubuntu

That is my preference nowadays.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by murch

Win 8/32 bit installation size - 16GB
Win 8/64 bit installation size - 20GB
Ubuntu 12.04 installation size - 5GB
Mint Linux 10 installation size - 4GB

The numbers don't lie. The OS alone takes up 4-5 times the space needed by freeware alternatives using GUIs.

edit on 10-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

So What? Space is cheaper than it's ever been. I can buy a 1000GB drive for 90 bucks.

Install Ubuntu, then all the necessary software from their repositories you'll need to make it as capable as the default Window's install; the gap will narrow. Not to mention the fact that you'll need to install 3rd party (i.e. non-open source) codecs or media players like VLC just to watch a video or listen to an mp3.

I like Linux, I dual boot Fedora on my PC along with Windows 8, and I own a MacBook Pro. Each has it's place, each it's strengths and weaknesses. That said, Windows 8 is no lemon, and is as good as anything else out there.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
So What? Space is cheaper than it's ever been. I can buy a 1000GB drive for 90 bucks.

Still doesn't change the fact that the OS is bloated.

Install Ubuntu, then all the necessary software from their repositories you'll need to make it as capable as the default Window's install; the gap will narrow. Not to mention the fact that you'll need to install 3rd party (i.e. non-open source) codecs or media players like VLC just to watch a video or listen to an mp3.

I think many people end up installing software that the default Windows install has anyway just making more work for the user.

I like Linux, I dual boot Fedora on my PC along with Windows 8, and I own a MacBook Pro. Each has it's place, each it's strengths and weaknesses. That said, Windows 8 is no lemon, and is as good as anything else out there.

I never said it was a lemon. I was specifically replying to optimus primal's claim that Windows in not bloated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join