learn more

Reindeer Cull: 3,000 Animals To Be Shot Dead

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Reindeer Cull: 3,000 Animals To Be Shot Dead

news.sky.com...

A 16-strong team is preparing to shoot dead 3,000 reindeer in a mass slaughter on a small Antarctic island.

A tiny herd of reindeer was introduced to the British territory of South Georgia for food by Norwegian whale hunters a century ago.

Since then the numbers on the island have exploded and the animals are causing significant damage to the environment and threatening the native king penguins.

The team of mainly Sami reindeer herders is now preparing for the cull and has set up fences and a corral for the reindeer.

Most of the animals will be slaughtered with a bolt gunshot to the head. However, those in remote areas, or those near penguins where stampeding reindeer could trample birds, will be shot by rifles.

Ten reindeer were originally brought to the island in 1911.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well, this will be an interesting development. Notice how they are using the word cull?

I keep thinking back to how the sled dogs were killed in BC after the Olympics were over. The cull turned into a blood bath horror.

I really do hope that these hunters are true experts. If the deer population is truly out of control then I hope the meat can be put to good use.

I still have my worries that what will be shown in the media will be different that what is going to happen off camera. But I hope I am wrong on this...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
mmm deer

I wish i could get on this.. fill that freezer up!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Well at least it is a shot to the head instead of a shot to each leg or something horrible. Emotionally, people may end up approaching this problem with more gun hate or something, but if we all remember the seal clubbings a year or two ago I think we can all agree guns are the way to go with this situation haha. Hopefully, as you said, this people are experts and not just wanting fun with reindeer shootings.

Idk to protect nature from nature doesn't seem right to me, yet I feel like if it was originally humans that introdcued this species to this part of the environment where they don't belong--perhaps the removal of such animal is ok.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Again, sounds like we originally meddled where we shouldn't have, and surprise, there's a problem now.

They really need to put the meat to good use. That will feed a lot of needy families.

I will say the line about them being a threat to the penguins put a funny picture in my head.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Reindeer meat is delicious... That was the only meat we ate while in Norway on a NATO float..... Too bad they don't have PETA drug and move the deer........ PETA could do it at their cost and save the state money ....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
Well at least it is a shot to the head instead of a shot to each leg or something horrible.

We don't know what is going to happen on the battlefield until it actually begins.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
Reindeer meat is delicious... That was the only meat we ate while in Norway on a NATO float..... Too bad they don't have PETA drug and move the deer........ PETA could do it at their cost and save the state money ....

I haven't had reindeer meet yet, but I do know bear meat is yummy

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Youd think they could raise a significant amount of money for preservation with modestly priced guided hunts to the area.

Sort of how rich people spend tens of thousands of dollars to hunt elephants on preserves that are no longer able to reproduce. All that money goes back into the preserve.

Nah, just let government agents slaughter them en masse. That's better.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I found it tastier than whitetail deer yet not greasy and tough like bear. .....We were near Harstead, Norway ......

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Youd think they could raise a significant amount of money for preservation with modestly priced guided hunts to the area.

Sort of how rich people spend tens of thousands of dollars to hunt elephants on preserves that are no longer able to reproduce. All that money goes back into the preserve.

Nah, just let government agents slaughter them en masse. That's better.

I agree ...here near the bottom of the article ...

Mr Andersen said the reindeer meat would be transported to the Falkland Islands. The hope is it will be sold to locals and to visiting cruise ships.

WTF ??/ what about the poor?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
How do Reindeer threaten penguins?

They dont have the same food , one lives in the water and on the beach while the other lives on land and in fields

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reindeer meat is great, we ate lots of it last summer in the arctic at whale camp & brought home bags of dry meat. I also tried the cooked marrow spread on hard crackers. We spent a month up there and we had many amazing experiences under the 24hr sun.

My wife's family is Inuit/Sami, Sami and reindeer go hand in hand. Her uncle has a reindeer herd in the arctic circle that goes back to the Canadian reindeer project of early 1900's.

This is all we saw of the herd, this is off the Northern end of Richards island, we couldn't get the boat any closer due to the silt build up from the Mackenzie delta:

img.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-1-2013 by criticalmindseed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join