It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: ATS Interviews Its Non-American Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
ter-ror-ism - The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

September 11, 2001 affected not only the United States but the entire globe. With the upcoming 2004 elections terrorism is on the minds and tongues of people all across the world. Threat levels have been raised in some parts of the United States as well as other countries. Right now, New York, New Jersey, and Washington D.C. are on Code Orange (High Risk of Terrorist Attacks), while the rest of the country remains on Code Yellow (Significant Risk of Terrorist Attacks). We here at AboveTopSecret.com have decided not to interview high priority key people, but to interview those among us.
The same questions were asked of American members in this story

I would like to thank everyone who volunteered for this interview. Below are a few answer from those we interviewed that I, personally thought were particularly enlightening:

Question:
Do you think your countries involvement in the War on Terror affects your own countries security?

UK Wizard: Yes, I believe that by attempting to stand shoulder to shoulder with America on the war on terror my country has increased the potential threat towards itself. I believe the UK is portraying itself as a puppet of the US; this would therefore increase the potential threat that Islamic terrorist cells could attack the softer and more accessible target of the UK

Question:
Do you feel at risk to Islamic terrorists in your country? How much do you worry about Islamic terrorists?

sensfan: Yes, to a degree. As I stated in the first answer, Canada has not received any direct threats from terrorists, be they Islamic or other. I don't feel that grouping terrorists into different ethnic or religious groups is helpful. A terrorist is a terrorist.

Question
Would you be willing to accept less freedom to avoid terrorist attacks?

sanctum: If you mean an I.D. card, yes I would accept that. I would not accept a microchip implant or similar 'device'.

Question
Do you believe that your country was directly affected by the terrorists attacks on the US on 9/11?

justyc: Who wasn�t affected? I think the aftermath of 911 has had a devastating effect on economies, employment, and peoples whole psyches(?) which is going to take many, many years to recover from, if it ever does whilst this 'war on terror' continues

Question
Do you believe that US President George W. Bush takes into account your countries interests and security or do you feel his interests are based entirely on US interests and security?

paperclip: His interests are based solely on personal interests of a few, and he does not take into account other countries and not much even his own people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below I have the complete interviews with each volunteer. Please refer to this original post for the questions so we can take up less space.

Question 1:
Do you think your countries involvement in the War on Terror affects your own countries security?

Question 2:
Do you agree with your countries involvement/non-involvement with the War on Terror?

Question 3:
Do you feel at risk to Islamic terrorists in your country? How much do you worry about Islamic terrorists?

Question 4:
Do you feel your government is doing all that it can to keep your country safe? What can they do differently?

Question 5:
Do you feel that your government is too supportive of US policies or not enough?

Question 6:
Do you believe that US President George W. Bush takes into account your countries interests and security or do you feel his interests are based entirely on US interests and security?

Question 7:

Question 8:
Do you feel that Osama Bin Laden, the Taliban, or Al-Qaeda is a threat to your country?

Question 9:
Do you believe that your country was directly affected by the terrorists attacks on the US on 9/11?

Question 10:
Are you personally concerned about traveling by commercial airplane because of the risk of terrorism?

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
justyc � London

Answer to Question 1:
Yes, but in a way that has been beneficial in that it has put more police on the streets after years of cutting them back to do paperwork in the office, hence it can only be a good thing for crime-prevention. However, it has also made us number 2 target for any major attack due to our 'special relationship' with backing the US whatever it does.

Answer to Question 2:
No, I don�t agree. I think the present 'war on terror' is going to cause more problems short & long term for the whole of the world and it saddens me to think that we are now into the next century and we still appear to have learned so little when we have so much we could actually offer the planet as a whole if the political will was there. Unfortunately there seems to be no short-term gain for the few people who could make that difference & be remembered by history as the ones that really changed the world

Answer to Question 3:
No I don't feel at risk nor do I worry about Islamic terrorists. Perhaps this is because I have many friends of all nationalities including Muslims who were just as appalled by what happened on 911 but who realize that there is good and bad in all races, religions etc. They too want to put an end to any threats to world peace but not by invading countries & killing their people. I worry more about things like jobs, housing, education (or rather its demise) trying to make the world a better place with the knowledge and technology we have, peoples apathy etc. the uk suffered many years of attacks by the IRA but never once did I recall being made to feel that the Irish were the new Jews as is happening to the Muslims at present. and we did manage to sort out our problems in the end by talk & diplomacy rather than violence, which only breeds more violence

Answer to Question 4:
I feel they could start by trying to understand the rest of the world rather than trying to control and change it to be just like them. Britain still has some respect in the world (even amongst the Muslims I know despite how they are being made to feel) but I think this can very easily slip away under the present attitude of the government. we should use that position to our advantage rather than tugging our forelocks to an insane president who is so out of touch with the rest of the world that it�s scary

Answer to Question 5:
I think they are too supportive & should use their influence with their close ties to the US to try and find alternate means of tackling the problem other than going along with the 'yes its all been a pack of lies but we're not sorry and we don�t care' attitude

Answer to Question 6:
No, I think he takes no other countries interests, even his own into consideration. but so long as the media & thus the people never question his actions and continue waving their flags then they will not look at the world at large or their own backyard to see what is really more important

Answer to Question 7:
Never!

Answer to Question 8:
No, though i do believe that disgruntled, misguided, small-minded & ignorant people will become a threat the longer this 'war on terror' carries on there are always plenty of people ready to jump on the bandwagon rather than come up with a better way of solving the problem

Answer to Question 9:
Who wasnt affected? i think the aftermath of 911 has had a devastating effect on economies, employment, and peoples whole psychies(?) which is going to take many, many years to recover from, if it ever does whilst this 'war on terror' continues

Answer to Question 10:
No, im more concerned by the dangers presented by lack of investment in the public transport system in london than flying on a plane

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
sensfan � Ontario, Canada

Answer to Question 1:
Yes, it does certainly affect Canada's security, but to a very small extent. As non participants in the war in Iraq, there has not been any warnings or threats aimed at Canada in particular. However, the fact that Canada is a neighbor (physically and politically) to the United States, brings an inherent danger to our country. There are many reports of terror cells operating in Canada, and it's my belief that where there are terror cells, there are terrorists that one day might decide that "home base" is the place to get their message across.

Answer to Question 2:
I absolutely agree with Canada's decision not to become involved in the war in Iraq. The war was started under false pretenses, and those countries involved in Iraq are now paying the consequences for their actions. Canada, however, is involved in other facets of the War on Terror. We have sent troops to Afghanistan and this I support whole heartedly. If it can be shown that there are dangers in this world that may affect the peaceful lifestyle of my country, I am all for weeding them out.

Answer to Question 3:
Yes, to a degree. As I stated in the first answer, Canada has not received any direct threats from terrorists, be them Islamic or other. I don't feel that grouping terrorists into different ethnic or religious groups is helpful. A terrorist is a terrorist.

Answer to Question 4:
No, they are not doing all they can, but I do not want them to do much more. Perhaps beefing up border security along the coasts would be an improvement, but to go as far as bringing in a US style patriot act would not go over well in Canada.

Answer to Question 5:
Also stated previously. I think what the Canadian government had done in not supporting the US policy of invading Iraq was the right choice. If it was proved that Iraq was an imminent thread, I would have supported sending Canadian troops to help out, but the evidence was just too shady, and the eagerness to �go� by Bush was not justified.

Answer to Question 6:
Solely on US interests alone, and even further than that, solely the interest of Bush�s big corporation friends.

Answer to Question 7:
Absolutely not. The patriot act is a smokescreen to give Bush more power that has nothing to do with fighting terrorism.

Answer to Question 8:
At this time no�they are too interested in bringing the downfall of the United States to worry about Canada. However, I have always had a small fear that countries like Canada could turn into a �stepping stone� to get at the USA.

Answer to Question 9:
Other than tighter airport security, longer lines trying to cross the border into the US, I don�t see much being affected in our country.

Answer to Question 10:
No, Airport travel is still one of the safest ways to travel in the world. I do fly, and will continue to fly without worry.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
UK Wizard � UK

Answer to Question 1:
Yes, I believe that by attempting to stand shoulder to shoulder with America on the war on terror my country has increased the potential threat towards itself. I believe the UK is portraying itself as a puppet of the US; this would therefore increase the potential threat that Islamic terrorist cells could attack the softer and more accessible target of the UK.

Answer to Question 2:
I believe the war on terror is essential for combating new style suicide and martyrdom terrorism. Although I do believe that the war on terror is being fought in completely the wrong way, I believe that America is trying to fight the war on terror on its own and Europe is trying to fight the war on terror on its own. I believe international cooperation is essential is we are to win the war on terror.

Answer to Question 3:
Where I live there are no targets that would appeal to terrorists, I live in a fairly rural area that would not rank very high on a terrorists target list. I do however fear for those who live in the larger cities (London, Birmingham etc).

Answer to Question 4:
No, I believe my Government is afraid to act in case it offends certain ethnic groups; it is consumed with political correctness. The Government needs to vastly improve border control and border detection standards. Britain is a easily accessible country to enter in my opinion.

Answer to Question 5:
I believe that my Government is too supportive of the US policies, there needs to be more international cooperation that is the only way I believe that the western world can be safely guarded.

Answer to Question 6:
I believe George W. Bush, tries to portray that he takes into account my countries interests and security, but his policy shows that he does not. George W. Bush uses other countries to solely benefit American homeland security, rather than benefit the majority.

Answer to Question 7:
I would rather sacrifice some of my freedoms than lie dead due to a terrorist attack. Sacrifices will need to be made, whether people like it or not.

Answer to Question 8:
The Taliban are standard battlefield fighters and I believe they do not pose a threat to my country. However Al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden, I believe are two of the greatest external threats to my country.

Answer to Question 9:
The terrorist attack on 9/11 affected all those in the western world, nobody believed that such an attack could be carried out successfully; combating terrorism has now become one of the most talked about and argued about topics. The attack on 9/11 opened the eyes of those who believed they were safe thousands of miles from war zones and battlefields.

Answer to Question 10:
I believe that by fearing something, you are only surrendering to it. I still travel on a commercial plane when I go on holiday, I try not to think about what could happen as there is a huge chance it won�t.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
sanctum � Australia

Answer to Question 1:
Yes, because if you fight a persons beliefs or groups beliefs they are bound to fight back.

Answer to Question 2:
Yes, I agree with Australia' involvement in the War on Terror. However, I do not agree with our involvement in the 'ousting' of Saddam. I feel the Iraq invasion was a knee-jerk reaction and not enough homework was done regarding a post Saddam Iraq. I also think Australia was lied to by the Bush admin' regarding WMD.

Answer to Question 3:
Part A, Yes. It is relatively easy to breach Australia' coastal border. I also feel there could be 'cells' forming among 'hardcore' Islamists already living in Australia.

Part B, Not much...worrying achieves nothing.

Answer to Question 4:
No. Australia' northern and western coastlines are extremely lacking in surveillance. Our sea-ports are also lacking in the area of shipping container examination.

Answer to Question 5:
I feel that the Howard admin' is too supportive of the Bush admin'.
However, our alliance must be maintained now and in the future.

Answer to Question 6:
G.W. Bush (as Commander in Chief) doesn't care about Australia' interests or security. My opinion would be the same if he was a 'citizen'.

Answer to Question 7:
If you mean a I.D. card, yes i would accept that. I would not accept a microchip implant or similar 'device'.

Answer to Question 8:
Yes, primarily Al-Qaeda linked groups and/or cells such as Jemaah Islamia.

Answer to Question 9:
Yes. More than a lot of non Australians would believe. I can ask anyone i meet in Aust', and they can remember what they were doing or where they were. The live T.V. footage started coming through at 10pm from memory. I personally got two phone calls telling me to turn on the t.v. and we have not forgotten.

Answer to Question 10:
No, as i feel targets would be more land based, mainly symbolic targets such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge or Lucas Heights nuclear reactor.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
paperclip � Austria

Answer to Question 1:
No, I don't think so. Austria is not military involved in current War on Terror, it has no real enemies. I don't think we are at risk here.

Answer to Question 2:
Yes. Austria is involved localy, tracking suspected terrorists in Austria, but it is not involved military in wars in Afganistan and Iraq.

Answer to Question 3:
No I do not feel at risk here, and I do not worry much about islamic terrorists.

Answer to Question 4:
Yes, I think it is doing enough. Austrian police is very good and efficient, we have always felt very safe here. If there are any terrorist elements in this country, I am sure they are being monitored closely.

Answer to Question 5:
I'd say it supports the US policies in a right way. It supports those which have something to do with War on Terror, like tighter security at airports, public events and such, but it doesn't support war in Iraq for example, a war that in our eyes has very little to do with the actual War on Terror.

Answer to Question 6:
His interests are based solely on personal interests of a few, and he does not take into account other countries and not much even his own people for that matter.

Answer to Question 7:
To some extent. I would accept more surveilance at public places for example, or more police and security during concerts, protests, or any other events where a lot of people are involved. Also, more authority to police to track those who they suspect are somehow involved with terror. I trust the judgement of austrian police, so that wouldn't be a problem. But I would not support laws which limit my personal freedom, like tracking of ALL citizens ( and not only those suspected of terrorism ) or goverment involvment in freedom of information, press censoring or something like that.

Answer to Question 8:
No, I don't think so. We didn't have any incidents involving Al-Qaeda, there were no reports whatsoever that they might be a threat to us. Austria had nothing to do with the situation in the middle east, we didn't support any of the dictators and extremist regimes there, we didn't get involved in any war there, so there is no reason Al-Qaeda would attack us.

Answer to Question 9:
Not really, no. It has only been somewhat affected economicaly, because of the world wide economy problems that resulted from 9/11.

Answer to Question 10:
No. The only attacks involving planes were on 9/11 in USA as a DIRECT ATTACK ON AMERICA, so as I stated before, we do not feel that we might be at risk here.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
JB1 UK

Question 1:

Yes, but I think the UK and every western country are effected regardless of their involvement.I'd dispute using the term "war" to describe combatting terrorism.War can only be fought by states. Terrorism is always the tool of a disaffected minority unable to mass conventional forces.

Question 2:
Do you agree with your countries involvement/non-involvement with the War on Terror?

I disagree with the way we are involved and not with our involvement.I disagree primarily with the way it is being led because it will not solve the problem of terrorism.Terrorism is like bacteria, you wouldn't try and exstinguish a strain of harmful bacteria by killing them one by one, you would deny the bacteria the enviroment it needs to breed. For every terrorist that is taken out 20 have been recruited in that time. Address the grievances and you deny terrorism an enviroment to breed in. Addressing grievances doesn't mean giving into terrorism.

Question 3:

I'm sure there is some risk but I feel less threatened by it than I did Irish republican terrorism 15/20 years ago.

Question 4:
Do you feel your government is doing all that it can to keep your country safe? What can they do differently?

I don't think the UK has the power or influence to change the way the problem is being addressed.

Question 5:
Do you feel that your government is too supportive of US policies or not enough?

I think we've given quite alot of support to the U.S.A but really have got nothing in return.It is said that the U.S only went through the UN in the run up to the invasion of Iraq because of Tony Blair but it was very half hearted by the US administration. Rumsfeld, Wolfawitz, and Pearle were not very diplomatic and basically alienated countries like France and Germany.Another example is the Middle East RoadMap.It's said that this was because of Blair also but again it appears to be lip service and nothing more.While Blair was on his way to visit the WhiteHouse this year Bush was giving a press conference with Ariel Sharon which basically gave Israel all it wanted.The RoadMap was finished.

Question 6:

See above.I don't think everything that George Bush has done is in the interests of security or wider US interests.

Question 7:

No. In the UK now a foreigner can be arrested and held without charge.Phones can be tapped,evidence from torture is a basis for arrest,ID cards and trial without jury are mooted.My view is that if you want to be a civilised country then you don't accept torture evidence.If we do then I think the establishment deserve to be attacked and not just by terrorists but by it's own people.

Question 8:
Do you feel that Osama Bin Laden, the Taliban, or Al-Qaeda is a threat to your country?

Yes and No. They are a threat because of the ideas that they've spread.To my knowledge of the way the groups you've mentioned above work they are probably not a direct threat themselves.More a lightening rod through which Islamic terrorism is portrayed to pass through by a media too lazy to explain the reality.

Question 9:

Affected and effected both.

Question 10:
Are you personally concerned about traveling by commercial airplane because of the risk of terrorism?

I never liked flying anyway.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by John bull 1]

new topics

top topics

join