BREAKING: California High School Shooting - at least 2 injured

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Did it influence him? Maybe. Im still thinking its more of a bully thing than a mass shooting. Could have gone either way. Thankfully it didn't.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fedki
Could there be other issues like mental health at work here? Well DUH the kid brought a gun to school!

First, thank you for clarifying re the student's name. Minor names are not normally given out, except in certain cases do they end up public. As you said, the name was already in the media.

We who grew up in a different time need to understand how different the world and schools are nowadays. When I was a 9th grader decades ago, the worst offense might be smoking a cigarette. Back then we could bring our shotguns to school in our pickups; they stayed in the pickup, ready for the next use target shooting or hunting.

About 13 years ago, I visited a friend who worked at a community court ordered school. He said that, because the juvenile hall school was crowded, they were getting the overflow; his students were bumped out to district continuation schools, the continuation schools were triaging their worst offenders in order to send some back to regular schools.

When I was in high school, a runaway was sent to juvenile hall. Now, your teacher friend could have a student on Monday who ran away on the weekend, was caught, and is back in the classroom on Monday. Although I bet his school states expulsion for knives (primarily nowadays intended for use as a weapon), how many students are back in his classroom?

The world today for young people can be so much more confusing and overwhelming than when I was young. So many more confusing, dangerous paths are available to go down Your friend sounds like he connected with his students, on a level of mutual respect and trust, and that connection was available to diffuse this situation.

It could be that more adults need to display the qualities that we want the next generation to emulate. And it's painfully obvious that there was a disconnect in the school system; record the troubled kid's offense but triage it to something not important to deal with. Is today's school motto, "Test but Ignore Otherwise"?

The world today IS more complicated. We seem to have fallen prey to continuous victimhood, spiraling downward to irrational thought and behavior. If your friend had felt a victim, he would have been out of that room. Instead he used his heart and mental strength to keep the world that much safer for others.

I will say this, though, your friend would have been no match against rapid fire.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I probably should have clarified that a little better. In this day and age bring a gun to school is kind of a no brainer. In my day you could and did bring your weapon in the truck usually on a Friday. I can even remember the city street sweeper guy having the school to please remind us to pick up and keep our ammo stored because he was tired of it getting picked up by his machine. Some guys never bothered to leave it in the box. Sometimes the floor boards worked just as well.

You are correct, no one would have stood up to automatic fire, cops, soldiers, firemen, wouldnt have mattered. Thankfully it never came to that.

new topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join