It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing the size of the debt into perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just want to put what the United States current debt looks like into perspective. A stack of 1 million dollars in $100 bills is 43" high. I figured out what 16.4 trillion dollars is in miles, and it's 11,130 miles high. The earth's circumference is 24,901 miles, so if you take the U.S. debt in a stack of $100 bills that is 11,130 miles high, and knock it over, it will reach nearly half way around the world. This is not to take in to consideration the unfunded liabilities that we have. We have 220 trillion in unfunded liabilities. When you take into account Social security, Medicaid, and Medicare. The stack of $100 bills just grew enormous! Any thoughts on how this could be fixed, or if there is any possible way they can pay out their promises they make to people every year when we are borrowing .46 cents on every dollar we spend?

The weight of our debt in $100 bills would be roughly 360,800,000 pounds. I wonder how you would take that to the federal reserve. lol
edit on 10-1-2013 by HappyLIBERTARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The people could always pay taxes and the country could always not go to war.

Works for other countries.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

Hahahahahaha. That was funny. And mostly true. People do pay taxes, its a congressional problem. They have a "once we have it, we cant let it go" issue. They get all these federal programs started, expand this, increase that, and they refuse to cut those programs. And yes, we could stop going to war, but wheres the fun in that? You know we have to flex our muscles like Arnold whenever we get the chance..... Its the American way.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

I agree. It would definitely help matters. I just don't understand how people can possibly say we don't have a spending problem in Government.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
There is no answer to our debt. Anything our so called government will do is a shoddily placed board to prop up our perilous fiances. It matters little anyways, the bottom of the economy is about to fall out and when it does its bringing our government with it.

new topics

top topics

join