Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A UK perspective on the current shootings and threat to ban automatic weapons in US

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
We don't have automatic weapons here not for public consumption anyway

It takes special licensing and very very very thorough background investigations to obtain automatic weapons

What we can buy are SEMI- automatic rifles and handguns

Tat being said after the pas couple of weeks I would have thought people would want to read or at least have knowledge on what they are against

I guess I am in with a very small amount of people when I study what I don't like so that the argument I bring to the table is an accurate one or as accurate as I can be geez o Pete research people please!

I did say please!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Thanks geocom,
Yes- of course you are correct that semi automatics are the main group of weapons under scrutiny just now. I did actually say "auto/semi-auto weapons" in the OP, (and being pedantic... both can technically be referred to as "automatic" in the sense that they "automatically" cycle between rounds at each pull of the trigger) but I totally accept that in the "proper" sense, fully automatic weapons are not the focus of attention here.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity of clearing that up.

GTD

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hi, Im from the UK. I'm not going to write about if a society is better armed or not, im just going to give my opinion on why nothing can be done, and they've gotten themselves in a pickle (tptb/elite/what not).

The guns are already there in America, you can't take them out or stop them. If they baned automatics, there would just be a rush on buying automatics. People will stock pile, buy loads, then in a few years time when the street value shoots up (pun not intended), they're sitting on a nice little investment. A new black market has emmerged, the gun trade booms, this will cause an increase the amount of gun owners, and guns on the streets.
The drug cartels will turn into the gun cartels.

We didn't get that in the UK, because our gun culture is completly different, like the OP stated, and not many people had guns in the first place, in America many people already have guns, and the culture is part of their country, and like the OP sugested.

Keep your guns America, you'll be safer.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Gordi, I was replying to the title of the post actually but man big props and a star for coming back with a reply
More people should do that.

The one and only reason I like to make that line in the sand no matter how minute is because so many people are so confused about firearms and their capabilities what is what and so on , and it is so easy to be confused
So I wasn't really meaning to call you out just to make the distinction more clear

I can't speak for other states but in Missouri where I went to school if you ever thought about hunting or anything like that in your sophomore year of high school you were offered the opportunity to take a hunter safety class
It was actually a great learning experience it taught us more about firearms than how to hunt in fact it didn't really address how to hunt at all but stressed firearms safety but gave us great insight to the inner workings of firearms different actions and rifle types anyway you get the drift I'm sure

I grew up around firearms and while I know that not everyone did I do know that a little education and background about firearms goes a long way, I mean there are things I am really uncomfortable with but I have found after reading learning and training I have a much better understanding of whatever those things are and therefore a much higher comfort level

Anyway off the soapbox and sorry for the rant just throwing that out there

Thanks again for replying

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by Kram09

We can work backwards and look at those who decide that killing loads of people is normal and anyone who comes close to that sort of profile may be worthy of some extra looking at or we can follow the standard American model which is "he's got 500 police rounds in him, pity he had to kill 20 kids to earn them" model

Most everyone is focusing on the gun and not what these kids are ingesting. Looking back over the most recent shootings most were already on the radar as receiving mental health treatment. The drugs they are giving them are making them worse.SSRI's zoloft,paxil etc.

Zoloft: www.drugs.com...

Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

And they are giving these to those already mentally disturbed. This would be a good thing to ban for those under 35.It would go further in preventing these meltdowns than any gun ban ever could.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I cannot stop laughing at the fact that all these UK people are trying to tell us to surrender our guns.. England and its monarchs are responsible for misery all over the world as their military ravaged and pillaged distant lands all for the crown.

The Second Amendment exists solely because of England. And these tyrants descendants are at it again.

The people in the UK are like shills for the N.W.O. or something...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
From the US and I can regretfully say I am 100% not phased by the violence in this country. when your brought up in it, it doesn't bother you what so ever.
edit on 11-1-2013 by zonetripper2065 because: type-o

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikeyy
I cannot stop laughing at the fact that all these UK people are trying to tell us to surrender our guns.. England and its monarchs are responsible for misery all over the world as their military ravaged and pillaged distant lands all for the crown.

The Second Amendment exists solely because of England. And these tyrants descendants are at it again.

Did you read the thread? There are many in the UK who are opposed to gun control...as well as many who are not. I would say the debate is as heated over here as it is there with, admittedly, probably a few more people leaning towards gun control but that's a cultural thing and to be expected. There seems to be a fair few Americans also wanting the US citizenry to give up their arms.

Talking of us ravaging and pillaging in the name of the Empire I have to say it's an old argument. In recent years we have been involved in only what the US has been involved in....no more, no less.

Previous to that I guess the question would be should a child be held accountable for the sins of his father?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Excellent post, couldn't have put it better! (+S&F)

US citizens need to stand by their constitution, it's a unique and precious document that guarantees their freedom and so long as a country as powerful as the US remains free, so do the rest of us (in the west at least).
edit on 11-1-2013 by squarehead666 because: clarity

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Automatic weapons have been banned (except for police and military) for some time but grandfathered guns can still be transferred among civilians provided they go thru an extensive background check (fbi fingerprints, etc) and pay a $200 transfer tax to the BATFE (it can be $400 if you have to pay for the seller to transfer to his FFL dealer and then again from your dealer....ironically I think that the intent was to pay it once). But I do agree with the media distractions as it is not about sporting events (target practice or hunting)...and it is also illegal for the mentally ill to buy guns.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that all these UK people are trying to tell us to surrender our guns..

Mabye it's escaped your attention, but quite a lot of americans want to be banning guns at the moment....
There are probably similar proportions for and against in both countries. It seems to me that most gun murders in the US (and the UK for that matter) are committed with handguns, but the recent series of high profile mass shootings with long guns? Seems designed to rouse public feeling against long guns, so 'something must be done'.
Obviously, in order to defend against/remove an oppressive government, as per constitution, you'll be needing those .308's and .30-06's to get through that government body armour. So that's why they want to take them off you.

Piers Morgan might well be a NWO shill. But not me, bro. I just want to see the 'land of the free' stay that way.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It is no coincidence that these mass murders are perpetrated by mentally ill individuals. The outcry to ban rifles will have zero effect on the problem. Less than 400 people died by being shot by a rifle in America in 2011. The issue of mental health and identifying them and institutionalizing them should be the topic of discussion, not a ban on guns. The knee jerk reaction is to ban guns but one only has to look at the facts to see it is not a gun problem,it is a mental health problem. It is not solely an American problem either. The higher the population of a country/city the higher the incidence of violent crime. It is not solely a mental health issue either. A country with gangs running rampant through society makes it's citizenry feel endangered,rightfully so. Open borders that violent criminals pour through to enlarge the gang culture's memberships is not helping matters. When America feels safe their guns will generally collect dust on a shelf in their closet. I don't see any move from the powers that be to address the real reasons why Americans feel they need guns.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Wrong from the start. Automatic weapons?? LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
not really sure why some are shouting about semi or fully auto weapons i know you cant get fully auto in uk but how does that make a difference, its the person at the end of the trigger who responsible for what they do with it. i would think if they started to allow fully auto in the uk it wouldnt change the person who is responsible enough to own a firearm just now. the problem in my eyes is people with some sort of disorder who,s willing to harm some innocent person in the first place. its not my place to say what america should do but maybe some better screening for those who wish to own firearms. just dont discriminate the honest folk cos thats all that seems to happen

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Did you bother reading this thread?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I could kiss you, if you werent a dude and I wasnt married...... but know that the urge is there.

Thank you sir, F-ing scott, I love you, you rock, whiskey!, good night!

edit on 11-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by Kram09

We can work backwards and look at those who decide that killing loads of people is normal and anyone who comes close to that sort of profile may be worthy of some extra looking at or we can follow the standard American model which is "he's got 500 police rounds in him, pity he had to kill 20 kids to earn them" model

Or we can ARM more law abiding citizens and train them properly so that as soon as someone points a gun at a KID or attempts to rob someone, etc.. they get a bullet in them for their trouble and no one BUT them gets shot....

Jaden

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

But can you guarantee that no matter how many people you give guns to that they can stop a nutter pulling and killing multiple people before they can squeeze the trigger and if not then the more guns may push the probability of stopping a nutter but unfortunately its a reaction rather than stopping the nutter before they decided to kill 20+ people

Find the nutter and stop him and you will be able to walk down the street with 2 m60's and lord knows what else down the street and the only problem from the cops will be if they can get a photo taken with you

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom

Gordi, I was replying to the title of the post actually but man big props and a star for coming back with a reply
More people should do that.

The one and only reason I like to make that line in the sand no matter how minute is because so many people are so confused about firearms and their capabilities what is what and so on , and it is so easy to be confused
So I wasn't really meaning to call you out just to make the distinction more clear

I can't speak for other states but in Missouri where I went to school if you ever thought about hunting or anything like that in your sophomore year of high school you were offered the opportunity to take a hunter safety class
It was actually a great learning experience it taught us more about firearms than how to hunt in fact it didn't really address how to hunt at all but stressed firearms safety but gave us great insight to the inner workings of firearms different actions and rifle types anyway you get the drift I'm sure

I grew up around firearms and while I know that not everyone did I do know that a little education and background about firearms goes a long way, I mean there are things I am really uncomfortable with but I have found after reading learning and training I have a much better understanding of whatever those things are and therefore a much higher comfort level

Anyway off the soapbox and sorry for the rant just throwing that out there

Thanks again for replying

Thanks geo, and no worries!
I didn't know about the hunter safety classes in Missouri - what a great idea!
If firearms are going to be around then it makes a whole lot of sense to make sure people are safe when handling them, excellent point.
regards
GTD

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Hi Mikeyy

O..K... I think...

I'm struggling to find a post in this thread where anyone from the UK told you to surrender your guns Mikeyy, could you point me in the right direction please?

Also, I think that you mean "England and its monarchs WERE responsible for misery all over the world..."?
Unfortunately that's what happens when Empires are built.

Do you think the Persians, Greeks or Romans used purely trade incentives and rewards to absorb the many other cultures who lived under their rule?

Military might and subjugation of those who oppose your will, were always part and parcel of empire building.

The 2nd amendment did indeed come about as a result of England/Britain and the way they treated the colonies/colonials, but I actually did point that out earlier in the thread... In fact that was one of my main points! That the right to bear arms came about as the result of tyrannical rule and that it is crucial to remember why you have that right, so as not to give it up for the wrong reasons.

As for.... "Tyrants descendants... at it again... UK... NWO shills..."????
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are going on about here, I thought that the OP was written in SUPPORT of American citizens right to bear arms??

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but I honestly can't make sense of your post.

regards,
GTD

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join