It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carswell AFB/Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Following some links/leads on a previous post by gariac. Interesting webpage including the canopy for a A-12 Avenger II that showed up on eBay, also a scrapped mockup of the A-12 Avenger at Carswell AFB:

en.wikipedia.org...
"The base was realigned and renamed the Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Carswell Field (NAS Fort Worth JRB) on October 1, 1994, when the U.S. Navy assumed control of the property. The west side of the base still serves as Air Force Plant #4 and employs 17,000 personnel, primarily Lockheed Martin employees."

Not sure what Plant #4 is for, but the image on GE shows it to be almost 1 mile long, with HUGE parking lots. I guess I should Google it...

Caught this at the base, looks like an F35 in flight:

A lot of interesting imagery at Carswell on GE. Appears that they do some scrapping of aircraft here. Perhaps someone here can identify what craft are in these images:
(EDITED TO ADD: nvm on the first one. Appears these are trailers for something, checking further lower left there are similar shapes that are definitely trailers.)

edit on 10-1-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
In the last photo, I'd say the fighter aircraft is a swing wing. Probably F-14, though there are other swing wing aircraft. [The swing wing is generally considered a bad idea nowadays, though the US and Russians made them for a while. It adds a lot of weight without much benefit. It does give the B-1 something to do at an airshow, i.e. fly it both ways.]

If you never saw the F-14 fly, I'd suggest an Iranian airshow. ;-)

Next up with the google on the interwebs is a search for all air force "plants." Maybe tonight, but if someone wants to beat me to it, please do.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Don't they build F35 in ft worth?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

Yes, the F-35 is built there... Which explains the mile long building, it's actually the Lockheed assembly plant.

And the F-35 "in flight", is actually a full size static model used for avionics calibration/testing, that's mounted to a 45' positionable tower.

new topics

top topics

join