It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

IMO the show does something critically important: examining historical events from a 360-degree perspective including all aspects/viewpoints and not just one that is American-centric. By enlightening Americans to historical events from a different aspect, hopefully it might be a catalyst for Americans to fully examine how current events are being perceived and interpreted by the rest of the world. Americans have become so conditioned to the whole notion that 'you're either with us or against us' and belief that America only does good in its actions throughout the world and always maintains the moral high ground; such an attitude historically has led to the downfall of "great" civilizations and I would like to avoid history repeating itself.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Is this the only thread on this, and it has so few replies and flags? This was a great series, and exposed many of the "hidden" patterns in such a way that they became understandable and connected. Stone's commentary, very dry and factual, just telling a calm story backed up with calm music for the most part, created an atmosphere of "here's the data, concisely presented, and take from it what you will". After watching all the episodes I want to give a hurrah to Henry Wallace and some other things to Harry Truman and many others. Stone educated me, or at least added some fine cloth to the fabric of recent history (it's not really the hidden history of the U.S. as much as the U.S. from the late 1930s onward)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That's what I thought. This whole series pretty much explains why the world is the way it is and nobody really gives a hoot.

I thought it would get more play but maybe I made a mistake by putting it in TV Forum.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
reply to post by Aleister

That's what I thought. This whole series pretty much explains why the world is the way it is and nobody really gives a hoot.

I thought it would get more play but maybe I made a mistake by putting it in TV Forum.

Yes, if nobody else has posted anything, why not start a new thread in Political Conspiracy forum or another one on the "main" board. This series is too good to not alert more ATS'ers to, and sharing it with the wider site is a good idea.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I loved this series and found it very informative & enlightening.

One aspect I was really struck by was Russia & WWII. In our schools & culture when WWII is discussed we only hear about Germans, Jewish people, and Pearl Harbor. I had no idea how much the Russian people suffered not only because of the Germans but Stalin as well. If a Russian left the line, he was executed as was his whole family. As a people, they suffered so much. It made me want to get a Russian penpal but my husband thought that was a bad idea combined with my ATS account.

I tweeted a quote from the show & Oliver Stone himself favorited it!! It was one of the proudest moments of my life. I almost pissed myself LOL

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Yes, the series really shows how when the Russians and French and England were fighting Germany, American troops kept getting sand in their eyes in North Africa. The Russians were allowed to fight the war almost by themselves, and some in the U.S. didn't mind seeing the two countries kill off their young people by the millions.

That's nice that Stone gave you a heads up. I wouldn't be surprised that if a more active thread evolved here (by the same OP) that he would come and join in. Stone is a pretty down to earth guy, or so I've heard.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I love this series and the way it portrays history. However, I've been wondering. There is a song, I think in German, around 26:40 in the first episode and again in the 40's or 50's in the second episode, I haven't been able to find that song anywhere, does anyone know what that song is?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Thoctar

I will look into it for you.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Thank you, I'm pleasantly surprised, I didn't think anyone would actually read this.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I check back on my threads from time to time, to try and answer just such requests as yours.

I have to admit I'm hitting a bit of a wall. The song sounds Russian to me, so I'm trying to download some Soviet military music but there are no seeds. It's taking forever. I did manage to find a bunch of German military music from the time and having listened to most I can not find a match.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Thank you, I appreciate it, it's okay, the gesture was enough. It's really an amazing documentary, with amazing music too.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Just watched the fourth episode tonight started about three weeks ago in the U.K.

He was on a show in the U.K called 'The One Show' talking about the series and the reasons he made it. He seems genuine with his intentions and said that he was fed up with the history being taught in schools and that his kids deserved to know the truth.

I find it very interesting and to think the Bomb was dropped as a warning to Uncle Joe, is utterly abhorent.

Didn't know much about Henry Wallace until I watched this documentary. He seemed a genuine democrat, who once again was lost to history at the bequest of the money men. It's just a little bit of history repeating!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join