It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highly elliptical planetary orbit discovered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by eriktheawful

In all due respect (although your avatar intimidates the hell out of me) the video is incorrect yet you're right. Just what is your vantage point for knowing this?

Until then....we have mortal Human beings just giving their opinions because so far.... no one is standing on the outer edges of our Universe to correctly assimilate anything.

Like everything else, everything we think we know will be proven false in a few hundred years. Lest we learn from our humble (limited) written past and stop this know-it-all attitude once and for all? I know I've learned and thus stopped. My advise to you too my friend.

Peace.

It's through "observation" HA.

We can see that the sun's axis is tilted in reference to the galactic equator.
We can see and track our own orbit about the sun.
We can measure the motion of the sun (with the solar system about it) and it's direction through our galaxy.

There is nothing revolutionary about that video, except to make people think about motion. Unfortunately it's factually wrong in the orientation and velocities.

Again, the moving car analogy I gave. You can observe the motion and direction of the car, and the chain you are twirling. and yes, one could even make a video showing how the chain seems to "spiral" around your finger as the car is moving both it and the chain forward in another direction.

But even if you made a video of it, it would not invalidate the laws of motion that are creating the situation. Just like the video you posted does not invalidate orbital mechanics.

It simply gives an observer a different point of view.

I wish they'd make another one, only this time taking in account the actual orientations of every thing. It would paint a very different looking picture.

As for my avatar pic: it's based on Erik The Red....but in reality I'm nothing like that. More like Ray Steven's "Erik The Awful":

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
Feel free to use the ATS "search" function, if you are truly so desirious of a citation:

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

However, that is not the main thrust of my article, which is that highly elliptical orbits do exist for planets.

Um, no.. You mentioned a mystery thread in your OP and you should link that thread up as a reference.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Got all excited about this thread, opened it and then saw it was just another PlanetXisHere thread trying to tell us Niburu is coming to get us. Sigh!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Only five hundred years ago everyone thought differently. So what will it be like in another 500 years? The past usually dictates the future.

So, observation? Nah. That's just a catch-phrase. We truly don't know anything my friend. Our limited vision, hearing, smell, brain usage, DNA etc really keeps us one notch above Neanderthals only we can propel ourselves now. Big deal. When we can walk through solid objects and telepathically communicate, wake me up!

Our life-span (80 years?) pales in comparison to Earth's 5 billion years. We know nothing!

PS I'll try to see your avatar in a different light now

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Only five hundred years ago everyone thought differently. So what will it be like in another 500 years? The past usually dictates the future.

So, observation? Nah. That's just a catch-phrase. We truly don't know anything my friend. Our limited vision, hearing, smell, brain usage, DNA etc really keeps us one notch above Neanderthals only we can propel ourselves now. Big deal. When we can walk through solid objects and telepathically communicate, wake me up!

Our life-span (80 years?) pales in comparison to Earth's 5 billion years. We know nothing!

PS I'll try to see your avatar in a different light now

Actually, 500 years ago is a great figure, since in 1543 is when Nicolaus Copernicus published just before his death, heliocentric cosmology which displaced the Earth from the center of the universe, and is considered one of the fathers of modern astronomy.
This is also the century that Galileo is born.
Sir Francis Bacon helped really get the Scientific Method established during this time.
Kepler was also burn during this century, and his works on planetary motion.....ironic, isn't it? You cited 500 years before, and it produces one of the fathers of Orbital Mechanics, gave me a bit of a chuckle.
Andreas Vesalius, published his work during this time, and is considered the founder of modern human anatomy.

Here are some things that were invented during the 1500s are are still in use as of today, 500 years later:

For the first time BEER was actually bottled! (before it was normally kept in wooden casts and served in pitchers).
The first flushing toilet!
The first pocket watch.
The letter "J" was added to the English Alphabet.
The modern square root symbol that we use in math today.
The first graphite pencil using wood.
The Gregorian Calendar that we still used today was introduced.
Galileo invents the Thermometer.

Yes, in 500 years, there could be a lot of changes of course. New things discovered, old theories replaced (or maybe confirmed even!).
But just remember........sometimes some of the things that we use now have been around for a long time.

<< 1  2   >>

join