It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exoplanet with Highest Habitability Rating Had Seti Signal Two Years Before It's Discovery

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Heres my 2cents,
The "laser like signal" was actually et's launching a space craft using light (or laser if u will) propulsion.
That's why we only saw it once

Linking from my phone sorry if embedding doesn't work..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes you are correct, there is no signal from Gleise.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

But the discovery of Earth-like planets around Gliese 581 - both 581e and 581d, which was in the habitable zone - has also caught the public imagination.

So that means there are 3 habitable planets in the system?

When we sent out this message, the Arecibo message, we included our solar system, with the planet we lived on raised to indicate this. See the yellow portion near the bottom.

And we received a controversial reply in the form of a crop circle. To date, the accepted theory has been "hoax."

Note the 3 raised planets in their equivalent section.

How exciting.

Edit: the message was sent in 1974, the reply was received in 2001. If it took 20 LY to reach Gliese, a year or so to be decoded, a couple of years of political bickering over what they should do about it and a year or so to formulate a reply, and then a year to deliver it... Timing works out.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

Can you please give out the official source for this?
Thanks

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Andromerius - just google it !

I notice the article says the Gleise planets orbit a Red Dwarf star, and that 581g is tidally locked (one side is always facing the sun). As far as our knowledge goes (which isn't very far IMHO) this cuts down the chances of large-form sentient life existing.

Excellent post, though, and thanks

QV.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The chances of anything coming from Gleise are a million to one they say!!!!!!
Anyone else imagine a green light, like the one from Mars in war of the worlds?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Greetings ATS fans, Most people believe that all life forms must have water and oxygen to survive. Apparently, this is a misconception, as there is claimed to be many life forms existing within, what would seem to us as inhospitable, and at various levels of consciousness that we can not see due to various vibrational frequencies, even here on planet earth. There is much more to consider in this regard, but is more than most can reckon with due to our rather limited conceptualization. www.focusonrecovery.net...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sovereign1
Greetings ATS fans, Most people believe that all life forms must have water and oxygen to survive. Apparently, this is a misconception, as there is claimed to be many life forms existing within, what would seem to us as inhospitable, and at various levels of consciousness that we can not see due to various vibrational frequencies, even here on planet earth. There is much more to consider in this regard, but is more than most can reckon with due to our rather limited conceptualization. www.focusonrecovery.net...

2012 consciousness shift? Surely you new agers have learnt your lesson?
I'm not saying you're wrong but providing a bit of proof would be nice, rather than blabbering like a prophet.
And no I didn't read it all. But to me it would make sense finding life in places we don't expect.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

Since scientists are always saying its stupid to expect life to be anything like us and all.
Why would they be made of the same stuff?
edit on 11-1-2013 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Are you talking Jeff Wayne's musical War of the Worlds? How delightfully disco of you! Now that song will be in my head all day.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by atopsecret

I don't know about anybody else, but I think we have found the first location outside of our solar system that we should visit.

How long would it take us to travel 20LY with today's tech?
edit on 10-1-2013 by watchitburn because: stupid autocorrect.

Probably too long. By the time you got halfway there, you would probably be passed by a newer spacecraft. How frustrating would that be? On a spacecraft for 100 years and get passed like a turtle passing a snail?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blackspirit

Hi. But with the Space Warp Technology that could make you run 10 times the speed of light without violate the laws of physics, theoretically, you would get there in two years. Check the article in this source:
Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

From the article: " An Alcubierre warp drive would involve a football-shape spacecraft attached to a large ring encircling it. This ring, potentially made of exotic matter, would cause space-time to warp around the starship, creating a region of contracted space in front of it and expanded space behind.
Meanwhile, the starship itself would stay inside a bubble of flat space-time that wasn't being warped at all.
"Everything within space is restricted by the speed of light," explained Richard Obousy, president of Icarus Interstellar, a non-profit group of scientists and engineers devoted to pursuing interstellar spaceflight. "But the really cool thing is space-time, the fabric of space, is not limited by the speed of light."
"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Are you talking Jeff Wayne's musical War of the Worlds? How delightfully disco of you! Now that song will be in my head all day.

Haha yes Glad someone got it! Went to see the latest version of the musical with liam neeson recently and was the best thing I've ever seen!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Minor problem in the theory of using the warp drive

The downside of warp drives: Annihilating whole star systems when you arrive

As your faster-than-light ship sails through the cosmos, it’s not alone. Although we often think of space as empty, there are loads of high-energy particles shooting through the void. The University of Sydney research [PDF] indicates that these particles are liable to get swept up in the craft’s warp field and remain trapped in the stable bubble.

The instant the Alcubierre drive is disengaged, the space-time gradient that allows it to effectively move faster than light goes away. All the energetic particles trapped during the journey have to go somewhere, and the researchers believe they would be blasted outward in a cone directly in front of the ship. Anyone or anything waiting for you at the other end of your trip would be destroyed.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Well cientist may think in a way to countour it.
Maybe arive on front of a red dwarf, an almost dead star, this particles feed the reactions on the dying sun, igniting it again... we would be restoring a system instead of wiping it off...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by skullandbonesband

A giant match to ignite stars. The first ship could be named the Ohio Blue Tip or Diamond Match.

I image it might take a real ship or large prototype to determine the reality of this hypothesis.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

And we travel in space without ships, or ships made of wood.
And, IF we have to do SpaceWalks outside the ship we dont
use suites.

Cause and effect. Remove the cause and you eliminate
the effect.

Or..

USE YOUR FRIKKIN BRAIN...

IF that was the case, WHY on )!#¤&%( would we halt the ship
in a manner that would endanger anythinge else?!?!?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join