It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exoplanet with Highest Habitability Rating Had Seti Signal Two Years Before It's Discovery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
According to this article , an odd pulse of light was picked up by a SETI reearcher. A few months later, a potentially habitable planet was found in that region of space. Now, that planet (Gleise 581g ) is considered to be the most habitable planet found to date.

Here are the details taken from this source.

20 light years from Earth

Diameter – 1.2 to 1.4 times that of Earth

Earth Similarity Index (ESI) rating (92%). The ESI combines information from the planet’s radius, density, escape velocity, and surface temperature and compares it to Earth’s measurements.

it has a high suitability for vegetation rating of 47%.

Estimated average temperature 50 degrees Farenheit (56 degrees on Earth)

it is a much older planet than Earth (10 billion years old)

Another planet in the same solar system is also rated as habitable. Gleise 581d is 3.1 times the size of Earth. The planet is cold but a greenhouse effect would make it sufficiently warm to harbor life as we know it. it's ESI is 72%.

A Science Fiction Novel by Larry Niven, The Mote in God's Eye began when scientists detected a strange burst of light from an unknown planet.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Really interesting, thank you OP.

Why this news isn't in every newspaper? I mean, people deserve to know this. Did they found out something that they are not telling us? What did they found? Where's a media coverage?

Same story all over again.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by atopsecret

I don't know about anybody else, but I think we have found the first location outside of our solar system that we should visit.

How long would it take us to travel 20LY with today's tech?
edit on 10-1-2013 by watchitburn because: stupid autocorrect.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
So a strange bust of light came from the galaxy where them 2 planets are meant to be? if so could it mean the is life on one or both of them planets?.
All i know its a good time to be alive xD

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Could this be a drip fed disclosure?

How come there was no big deal over the SETI findings.

Then the press release that we will find an earth type planet this year, this all seems too perfect, and is happening very fast.

Will the world be looking back, in a few years / months time, and saying, "oh I can see now, how it all fits together"

While we are the monkeys in the cage being thrown jigsaw pieces.

Then they can smugly say, those clever guys over at ATS, and other such venues, worked it all out, hmm...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

I don't know about anybody else, but I think we have found the first location outside of our solar system that we should visit.

Longer then 20 years that is for certain!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by watchitburn

Longer then 20 years that is for certain!

This plus 1.
even if we could travel at the speed of light it would still take us 20 years to get there.
We really need to learn how to fold space xD

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

One light year = 9.4605284 × 10^12 kilometers.

Voyager 1 has been traveling since 1977 at speeds to a max of 62,136 km/h, and so far has traveled. 18,501,418,900 KM

20 light years works out to be close to 1,89,216,000,000,000 KM.

I dont think anyone will be visiting that planet anytime soon...

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

But the discovery of Earth-like planets around Gliese 581 - both 581e and 581d, which was in the habitable zone - has also caught the public imagination.

So that means there are 3 habitable planets in the system?

When we sent out this message, the Arecibo message, we included our solar system, with the planet we lived on raised to indicate this. See the yellow portion near the bottom.

And we received a controversial reply in the form of a crop circle. To date, the accepted theory has been "hoax."

Note the 3 raised planets in their equivalent section.

How exciting.

Edit: the message was sent in 1974, the reply was received in 2001. If it took 20 LY to reach Gliese, a year or so to be decoded, a couple of years of political bickering over what they should do about it and a year or so to formulate a reply, and then a year to deliver it... Timing works out.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by blackspirit

Yeah, you're right, that would be almost 350,000 years at Voyagers top speed. Not very attainable at the moment.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

But the discovery of Earth-like planets around Gliese 581 - both 581e and 581d, which was in the habitable zone - has also caught the public imagination.

So that means there are 3 habitable planets in the system?

When we sent out this message, the Arecibo message, we included our solar system, with the planet we lived on raised to indicate this. See the yellow portion near the bottom.

And we received a controversial reply in the form of a crop circle. To date, the accepted theory has been "hoax."

Note the 3 raised planets in their equivalent section.

How exciting.

Edit: the message was sent in 1974, the reply was received in 2001. If it took 20 LY to reach Gliese, a year or so to be decoded, a couple of years of political bickering over what they should do about it and a year or so to formulate a reply, and then a year to deliver it... Timing works out.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

Why just leave a crop circle though, when they could have just as easily made their presence known and said 'Hey, just returning the message you sent!' - Presuming they haven't discovered Earth previously....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Well a Nuclear propelled (one of many Project Orion threads)spaceship that is technologically possible today could arguably reach a significant percent of the speed of light.

A big bonus would be using many of the nuclear weapons we have now for a purpose other than destroying ourselves. A major risk would be getting them off of Earth to begin with.

We could travel if we wanted it is Possible.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I think you may have mistaken it's HZD (Habitable Zone Distance) with the SPH value.

In fact, this rather intriguing planet not only has a HIGHER SPH than our own little Earth, it has the highest SPH ever estimated at .98 (Earth's is .72).

It would border on the absurd to imagine some form of life not developing on Gliese 667C c!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I hate to argue, especially since your post was so good, until the end.
The timing, unfortunately, doesn't work out.

Because it will take 25,000 years for the message to reach its intended destination of stars (and an additional 25,000 years for any reply), the Arecibo message was more a demonstration of human technological achievement than a real attempt to enter into a conversation with extraterrestrials. In fact, the stars of M13, that the message was aimed at, will no longer be in that location when the message arrives

I'm not sure which timing method you're using, but I have a feeling your maths might be a little off

edit on 10-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Lets hope the big flash wasnt the final destructo Bomb from a Planetry War...

And now they are heading to Earth................Time to build the gigantic robots....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

Originally posted by Nikola014

Why this news isn't in every newspaper? I mean, people deserve to know this. Did they found out something that they are not telling us? What did they found? Where's a media coverage?
They probably have not yet found any definitive conclusive evidence.

reply to post by Watchfull

Originally posted by Watchfull

How come there was no big deal over the SETI findings.
Maybe because it wasn't a big deal, and was just one of the many random signals that SETI picked up on.

Originally posted by Watchfull

Then the press release that we will find an earth type planet this year, this all seems too perfect, and is happening very fast.
"....very fast"?
That particular article is from August 17, 2011.
Dr Ragbir Bhathal picked up the odd signal in December 2008.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The name of that planet rings a bell, does this not all tie in with the epic ATS saga "the hoax heard around the world" which even got an ebook written about it?

*raises eyebrow*

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
doublepost...
edit on 10/1/2013 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
you also have to assume the aricebo signal didn't bounce of a planet, a moon, a large rock a comet or didn't degrade over such vast distances.

radio signals degrade over distances, i doubt it made it that far without degrading completely.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Nice idea but the math doesn't work.
A signal from earth at the speed of light would take 20yrs to to travel 20 light years.
Then whatever they send back would take 20 years to get hear. Add time for political bickering.
At the minimum their return message would not arrive until 2014. That is probably a low estimate as wikipedia estimates gilese 581 to be 22 light years from earth. By that estimate it would take a return signal until 2018 to reach Earth, assuming it was replied to immediately.
... unless you assume they can somehow exceed light speed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join