It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will I get arrested/ in trouble if I offer $100 extra at Seattle gun buyback?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
So Seattle is having a gun buyback. First of all I want to get more money than what my crappy 40. cal Hi-Point is worth so I'll be first in line to get cash back for that. Second I want to take that 200 and add 100 to it and stand near the front of the line and offer 300 dollars to whatever firearm peaks my interest if it's legally owned. Considering in WA I've talked to cops and even though it's a bad idea you can legally purchase and exhance guns on the street for cash, even though you might want to get a copy of their drivers license and gun serial number.

Anyways do you think the police will react to me doing this? And how do you think they'll react? And what kind of response should I be able to say back to them?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Go for it but make sure you are recording it somehow

edit on 10-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Thanks kinda like needle exchange program and u stand there asking people for their new needles for alittle cash

Its a non-business interest being exploited for personal business.

Sure WA sounds relatively liberal but.. they have to abide by DHS lockdown from now on!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
cant wait to see this on you tube

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
If everyone did this, it would be like a great gun show, where the weapons are cheap, and the cops buy any and all the useless crap that is left over.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
If a person agrees to sell you there gun just do it at your car. It is perfectly legal but you don’t want to draw unneeded attention to yourself if you can help it. Just use some common sense.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Check with your local sheriff or deputy sheriff.

These people are not regular police, and are elected officials whom represent the people who they serve. At least in the case of the actual sheriff. As for his deputies, you elected him, so his best judgement is what you voted for.

Out side of that, only a layer may have that legal reference, perhaps a CJ student even?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Why would you need to see their drivers license?

Isnt this what everyone is complaining about? Why do YOU need to know who you're getting a gun off?

Also if it's legal, why would it be a problem?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Well when I almost sold my Hi-Point to a friend after he got mugged I wanted to scan his ID and draft a contract saying I sold it to him for X dollars with a scan of his ID and his sig incase he decided to take revenge. If I find a nice looking weapon from some nice guy that claims it's not been used in a crime how am I to know? If it was just used in a murder and they trace the serial number to me I'd be screwed so I'm trying to cover my own butt.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Now that you mention it, what a way to stick it in the a&& of the police! Why don't someone like Ted Nugent who has a crap load of money set up a stand down the street and offer $50 more than what the cops are offering? If I was a pro 2nd amendment supporter and had millions that is what I would do! If nothing else It would make a statement.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
you haven't learned yet, have you...
what is and is not legal is solely at the discretion of those in power, those that hold the badge.
heck, there's an article up on drudge about someone who was arrested for videotaping first responders at at accident scene...under the new obamacare law...
ya, go for it, but well, even if it is legal to do, keep in mind, they can hold you for awhile without even pressing any charges. if you are supposed to be a work later that day, you might want to give the a heads up that you might be a little late??

I kind of think the least you will get is some hassle from the if they know what you are doing..
weather or not they can actually charge you with anything would depend on what the laws are in your area....heck their might even be a federal law out there, you might want to check and see if it's in the new obamacare law, or maybe the fiscal cliff deal, who knows. I never knew I could be arrested for going out in my back yard and videotaping a bad accident on the highway behind me, but appearantly, it is...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
WOW.... SOOOOO RETARDED.... GUESS WHAT I JUST FOUND OUT?

Just like in Cali with the IOU's Seattle is giving out $200 gift cards from AMAZON!!! Not cash.

So I got 2 options... Just say screw it, or offer people in the line $200 dollars in cash not funny money for their firearm. I'll call my lawyer in Seattle and maybe have my gf film me if I go through with it, luckily it's on the weekend, but as somebody on unsupervised probation, I can't afford to get in trouble. Even though I don't see anything illegal. Anybody in the area know any more specifics?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
This has been occurring with increasing frequency.

As long as you arent prohibited from making private transactions in that state you are well within your rights.

Just be careful not buy anything you would otherwise be prohibited from owning and ask to see ID's to make sure people are residents of your state and maybe even get them to sign a bill of sale just to be safe.

And you will be harassed by the cops. They cant do anything about what you're doing as long as you do it all on the up and up but they will harass you.

Private buyers show up at "buyback"
Buyers offer cash at Cleveland "buyback"

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

Good luck with that!
For some wierd reason it seems that folks going to turn in there guns aren't to keen to sell them to some random dude on the parking lot... I can't imagine why...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You do not need to see there license. If you are selling the gun to them you are supposed to get there info and so if that person does something and the gun is traced to you it would be at that time that you present the police with the info of who you sold it to however I have never given my real name or address to those I bought guns from. This is how I have done it at Gun Shows. If you are buying you can either give them the real info or make it up. There isn’t a law stating you have to but people do it to cover their ass. As a buyer if you by a gun from someone you do not need to worry about you being charged for any crime that was committed by it. To be safe just get a hand written receipt from them they may give a fake name but who cares if it’s in there handwriting you are covered.

Happy gun shopping

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Considering the junk they turn in at those things why bother. You can buy guns anywhere. Humping up and down a line of people selling jusk or guns that have could have been used in a crime seems like a huge waste of time and money.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I imagine it's sort of like storage wars.

Sure, 90% of it is broken, rusted junk but you might just get lucky: Woman turns in valuable WWII machinegun at buyback

I'd give her $100 for it

edit on 10-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
So Seattle is having a gun buyback. First of all I want to get more money than what my crappy 40. cal Hi-Point is worth so I'll be first in line to get cash back for that. Second I want to take that 200 and add 100 to it and stand near the front of the line and offer 300 dollars to whatever firearm peaks my interest if it's legally owned. Considering in WA I've talked to cops and even though it's a bad idea you can legally purchase and exhance guns on the street for cash, even though you might want to get a copy of their drivers license and gun serial number.

Anyways do you think the police will react to me doing this? And how do you think they'll react? And what kind of response should I be able to say back to them?

I love it.
Just follow the local and state laws regarding the private sale of firearms.
Let us know if you do it and how it turns out.

I would suggest having someone film it as well, just in case.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Is there anybody in the NW area that would want to be with me around this time. I'm a good edumacated speaker but when I talk to police sometimes my heart starts pounding out of my chest and I get sweaty palms or get tongue tied... And I probably shouldn't take any anti-anxiety meds before hand that would probably be a bad idea. Maybe I can at least score some high capacity mags as those are all gone around here... I'm already bringing it up with friends, we all have concealed weapons permits and they provide security on the weekends at the nightclubs in downtown Seattle carrying their concealed along with M4's etc... the bike cops come up to them and usually say "well looks like you guys got this street covered so we'll just go elsewhere"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just talked to my friend he's coming with me we're going to wear our NRA hats and my deny ignorance T shirt! hope I'll be on KOMO like those portland guys! (They were kinda idiots tho)

top topics

join