IllumiRoom, The New Microsoft Gaming technology Which Scans Your Room.

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

IllumiRoom, The New Microsoft Gaming technology Which Scans Your Room.

A new piece of tech was recently revealed by Microsoft. It scans the players room, and appears to project background images onto the walls, in order to produce an in depth experience for the player.

According to the Microsoft website, IllumiRoom is:

...a proof-of-concept system from Microsoft Research. It augments the area surrounding a television screen with projected visualizations to enhance the traditional living room entertainment experience.

The IllumiRoom goes hand in hand with the Kinext to provide and immersive experience for the player:

IllumiRoom uses a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector to blur the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds. For example, our system can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.

Our system uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics.

The Kinect is able to capture our voices, our movements and our gender. It can take photos of you and your surroundings. Now, in conjunction with IlumiRoom, it can scan your living room and provide an in depth gaming experience for you...pretty crazy, if not scary. The video can be seen below. It has not been edited in any way shape or form (supposedly).

research.microsoft.com...

edit on 10-1-2013 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I have heard of this but not seen it....Awesome!!!! want one

The only problem I see with it is increased motion sickness maybe.
Elder scrolls 6 please use this

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
So want one too imo this will be the best thing to happen to gaming since god only knows when xD

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I knew this day would come.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Gonna blow the ps4 outa the water I think.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Great now I have to buy an xbox, just when I got over my video game addiction....
I would play New Vegas for hours with this light show around me like video game orgy by myself....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The technology looks really cool, though I think would work better in a gaming room which has just plain white walls, maybe even a projector only scenario rather than a tv for a screen so it would all blend together.
The thing I don't like is the scanning, voice recognition, facial recognition etc, that is all waaaaaaaay to Big Brother for my liking and is why I will never have one, unless we can game with masks or voice changer helmets. I just don't trust Microsoft not to have an ulterior motive.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Nice, this looks like those ambilight TVs on steroids. I hope someone makes it for the PC, too.

However in terms of raw immersion, it does not come close to virtual reality headset like the Oculus Rift.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Agreed, I'd rather just go with the Oculus for complete visual immersion.

This tech looks alright, just not close to revolutionary.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Finally found this other thread with more information.

Hefficide reports....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
1984 much?
Sometimes it is just creepy how right George Orwell was.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

That is awesome! Thanks heaps!!!

What an honour

new topics

top topics

join