It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Q: Is there a difference between 'religious' and occult?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
That is my question as it is in the title. Thx in advance for sharing.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The amount of members?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The occult usually operate in secret.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Religious organisations get tax free status.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

Not really..

oc·cult /əˈkəlt/ Noun Supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena. Adjective Of, involving, or relating to supernatural, mystical, or magical powers or phenomena. Verb Cut off from view by interposing something.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

I'm aware that secrecy doesnt define the occult, but a majority of occult groups aren't exactly open about what they do.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
yeah, quite a difference, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
They will have similarities between them however there are things that cults have that will not be found in organized religion. One will be some form of brainwashing two they will have you cut all ties to family and friends; three is usually full access to your money or the demand that you give all worldly possessions to the church.

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.
Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.
Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

www.rickross.com...

The biggest known cult in the world right now is Scientology.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
People involved in the occult generally mind their own business, don't have fundamentalist factions that proselytize, have a persecution complex, and push for their way or the highway. And are generally far less annoying.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I really don't care either way...occultist or religionist....just leave me alone if I tell you I'm not interested....same for plolitictionist....made that word up perhaps?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Monoreligious is intrinsically occult because the subscriber of said religion is subscribing to a prepackaged set of opinions and values, exclusively. Based on the excuse of "faith"... gotta have faith sure! But blind faith? heheh

However once the individual starts subscribing to multiple religions, they are less and less occult (and more openminded).

If the individual nit-picks what they believe in one belief at a time from one or various religions without accepting the blanket religion or religions, only then is said religious person not 'occult'.

Buddha said it best.. you know, that quote about believe in nothing.. oh here it is:

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” - Buddha

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

Do I tell people outside of my household about the deepest family problems we have?

99% of the time; no.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monsieur Neary
People involved in the occult generally mind their own business, don't have fundamentalist factions that proselytize, have a persecution complex, and push for their way or the highway. And are generally far less annoying.

Let's see, any analysis of Hollywood films and television shows that their beliefs of god as a "force", good and evil as subjective instead of absolute and their rejection of the concept of sin are rammed down our throats at every opportunity. Every corporate logo is branded with their occult imagery and our kids have been brainwashed to become a "me me me" generation who seek god like status and psychic powers through the occult practices extolled as "spiritiality, not religious". They don't mind their own business for their business is pushing their occult beliefs onto all of us without us ever realising. They've got us so hooked on pharmakeia that our critical thinking is virtually eliminated. They ripped out prayer to Our Heavenly Father from classrooms yet are ramming in "meditation and yoga" - consciousness altering practices of occultism. They blasphemy His name every night on tv and put the "fun" of tarot cards, magic spells and psychic powers into kid's shows.

Truly thinking that they are "far less annoying" is tantamount to saying that you reject those who are preaching Life in favour of those who preach nonstop love of death. They don't have to come knocking on your door when their pulpits, the media and classroom, are the single biggest and most influential pulpits in the world.

That's your "innocent" occult. Their belief in a divine being who is neither male nor female is behind the secular drive to remove terms such as husband, wife, mother and father from our world. This adrogyny ideal fuels their mad push to destroy the definition of marriage. Their belief in no true good and evil floods the tv with scenes of rape, murder, hatred, disrespect, greed, love of self and materialism so that you harden your hearts towards the good that is God. Very crafty, hook you on sin then you reject God who IS good.

The serpent was more crafty than all the other beasts. And ignoring the fact that his children now occupy every high spot in our establishments is truly like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand. We are not under 'secular beliefs', because those leaders are not atheists. Every day they show themselves for who they truly worship and their actions show them as the liars and murderers that they are.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

I think it may be Time.

The occult means hidden, but I guess all religions hide something.
edit on 10-1-2013 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
Monoreligious is intrinsically occult because the subscriber of said religion is subscribing to a prepackaged set of opinions and values, exclusively. Based on the excuse of "faith"... gotta have faith sure! But blind faith? heheh

However once the individual starts subscribing to multiple religions, they are less and less occult (and more openminded).

If the individual nit-picks what they believe in one belief at a time from one or various religions without accepting the blanket religion or religions, only then is said religious person not 'occult'.

Buddha said it best.. you know, that quote about believe in nothing.. oh here it is:

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” - Buddha

Jesus said:

"why are you reasoning among yourselves?"
"Why are you reasoning about "
"What were you reasoning about on the way?"
"But Jesus knew their reasoning.."
"Why are you troubled, and why do reasonings rise in your hearts? "

Reasoning was behind Adam's fall. And yet, you choose Buddha who promotes it?
Blessed are those who believe without seeing.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Religion is asking God to use his magic to get something you want. The Occult is doing it yourself.

Simple.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Do you mean creating magic yourself with 'doing it on your own'?

P.S. I don't think God performs magic to attain the desired. He has power.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Do you mean creating magic yourself with 'doing it on your own'?

P.S. I don't think God performs magic to attain the desired. He has power.

Yes.

You don't think God's power and personal power are one and the same? Maybe you and God are also one and the same and it is simply religious dogma which continues the illusion that somehow God is something apart from everything which has, does and will ever exist... (including you and me
)

Possibly what I should have said initially is religion assumes that which is in each of us is actually something external and often forces you to seek it in places it can't be found...

Personally I don't believe the occult is too much better though. Like religion it over complexifies concepts which are overall very very simple.

edit on 10/1/2013 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Perspective.

You get famous you evolve from an Occult to a Religion than on to Mainstream Religion.

Oh yeah, Religious leaders drive $120,000 Benz, Tax free.

edit on 1/10/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Nice atmosphere here, thx for your replies. Tha bomb!

new topics

join