It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mother Protecting Her Two Children Successful Defends Her Home By Shooting Intruder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

LOGANVILLE, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia mother who shot an intruder at her home has become a small part of the roaring gun control debate, with some firearms enthusiasts touting her as a textbook example of responsible gun ownership.

Melinda Herman grabbed a handgun and hid in a crawl space with her two children when a man broke in last week and approached the family at their home northeast of Atlanta, police said. Herman called her husband on the phone, and with him reminding her of the lessons she recently learned at a shooting range, Herman opened fire, seriously wounding the burglary suspect.

With all the anti-gun rage going on, it's nice to see such a great example of why it's important that citizens still have the right to bear arms. A responsible gun owner protecting her family and home from a criminal by exercising her 2nd Amendment right.

Here's the full story:

Mom who shot intruder inspires gun control foes
edit on 10-1-2013 by Troublesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troublesome
A responsible gun owner protecting her family and home from a criminal by exercising her 2nd Amendment right.

Wow, I'm not sure thats right.
An unarmed burger who (by ringing the bell earlier) genuinely thought nobody was home.
Was probably just hoping to steal their DVD player or something.

But lets murder him, shall we...?

The man pleaded with her to stop, but she kept firing until she had emptied her rounds, she told police.

They plan to charge him with burglary, possession of tools for the commission of a crime and aggravated assault

But no firearm offences.

I suspect merely pointing the gun at him would have been enough.
Actually I think telling him to go away when he first rang the bell would have been enough.

Authorities believe Slater targeted a home in another local subdivision but left when confronted by the homeowner

Not convinced attempted murder is responsible use.

edit on 10-1-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Actually it's a damn shame she didn't kill him.

She was defending her well being, her children's well being and her house possessions.

I have a hell of an idea.....Maybe we should have YOUR doorbell rang, have an intruder BREAK into your house and see if you plan on asking what his intents are.

edit on 10-1-2013 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
She was defending her well being, her children's well being and her house possessions.

The house's possesions, no argument there.
But his actions at both the previous house and this one clearly indicate a man who did NOT want to confront people, and no evidence that any harm was intended to anyone's "well being". (Unless you know something not written in that article)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
Maybe we should have YOUR doorbell rang and see if YOU plan on asking an intruder what his intents are.

Actually that did happen many years ago.
Dodgy looking character at the door.
Went away, never saw him again.
And the funny thing was, I didnt have to murder him to make him go away.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Actually it's a damn shame she didn't kill him. She was defending her well being, her children's well being and her house possessions. I have a hell of an idea.....Maybe we should have YOUR doorbell rang and see if YOU plan on asking an intruder what his intents are.

Thank you for the above,

In so many threads gun nuts say "we dont want anyone dead, no responsible gun owner does"
Sorry but most of you do, I bet the thought of being in a situation like this gives you wood.

He knocked on the freakin door!!!!!!! she saw him coming and her first instinct was to hide and call her husband

This could have been avoided if people didnt live in such fear, while he was at the door a simple who is it while the door was closed would have been enough to scare him off.

She was lucky he wasnt armed or instead of running off he would have killed her and her children most likely.

How anyone can commend her behavior is beyond me

EDIT: And this has been posted several times already, a search would have told you that
edit on 10/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Ok buddy...you seem so confident in your arguement....go ahead and post your address. We can send some individuals in an unmarked SUV to your house, have them break INTO your house and video tape how you handle the situation.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

How is it ok to break into someone house for any reason?

It does not matter what he broke into the house for...

NO sir, you are quiet wrong on this one...

the situation

news.yahoo.com...

from OP

Melinda Herman told police she started shooting the man when he opened the door to the crawl space. The man pleaded with her to stop, but she kept firing until she had emptied her rounds, she told police. She then fled to a neighbor's house with her children.

you left out a key detail their buddy boy

she shot him when he opened the door to the crawl space

if he was just their for electronics.. take them and run...

nope this is a clear cut case ... he was after more then money

otherwise he could have grabbed the stuff and ran... the wife was not hunting him through the house... he was hunting them...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
He rang the doorbell to check if anybody was home, but that doesn't mean he was unarmed. The article even states that she saw him go back to the car to get something, how does she know it wasn't a weapon? She's there with her two young children, the only thing on her mind is protecting them. She has no idea what this man's intentions are. What if she didn't have a gun? There is a possibility that he would have fled, but who would be willing to take that chance with their life and their children's lives? Sorry, but I won't have any sympathy for a criminal intent on committing a pre-mediated crime.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

again why did he hunt through the house.. a thief there for valuables seeing no one there grabs the merchandise and runs... you left that out of your argument...

the man opened the crawl space door... sounds like it was not just an innocent I am here to take your stuff...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

LMFAO

You guys are unbelievable

You imply he was coming for them, HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW THEY WERE THERE!!!!!!!

Just so were clear, you advocate shooting anyone who comes into your home even if they dont know your there and they have no intent to hurt you?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by ripcontrol

LMFAO

You guys are unbelievable

You imply he was coming for them, HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW THEY WERE THERE!!!!!!!

Just so were clear, you advocate shooting anyone who comes into your home even if they dont know your there and they have no intent to hurt you?

Post your address and leave your doors unlocked.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Fair enough, you've convinced me.

This page says

2,154,126 burglary offenses

per year in the USA.

So, another 2 million people shot dead every year is obviously a good thing.

And before you say the shootings would reduce the incidence of crime, recall that this invader didnt think anyone was home anyway, so nothing would have changed.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I advocate shooting and killing if necessary anyone who illegally enters my home with dubious intent whether they are armed with a gun, knife, or crowbar. I think you missed the part of the story where he went to the crawlspace under the house where they were hiding that indicates he was there for her or her children it certainly does not appear that this was a case where he was looking for valuables but instead he was looking for victims.

Your response seems to say that you would rather her and her children be victimized rather than her being able to defend herself and family. That may not be your intent but that is how you come across.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Also of note, she defended herself just fine with a HANDGUN
Not an assault rifle
edit on 10-1-2013 by tk2dsky because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Fair enough, you've convinced me.

This page says

2,154,126 burglary offenses

per year in the USA.

So, another 2 million people shot dead every year is obviously a good thing.

And before you say the shootings would reduce the incidence of crime, recall that this invader didnt think anyone was home anyway, so nothing would have changed.

If 2 million people decided to break into my house for ANY reason, I WILL find a way to acquire 2 million rounds of ammo.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Post your address and leave your doors unlocked.

Yep gun owners are a peaceful bunch

Ive confronted a burglar at my house, was in bed with my GF and when the door rang I ignored it as it was the middle of the day and I assumed it was a slaesman.
When i heard the side gate open I went to the back of the house and cuaght him trying to open the back door, I confronted him and got into a screaming match, he said he saw some kids run back there and he was seeing what they were upto. I screamed out to my GF to call the police and he fled.

Police came 10 min later and I gave a description, they came back the next day with mug shots and I identified him. He was back in jail 3 weeks later.

No guns required

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

I advocate shooting and killing if necessary anyone who illegally enters my home with dubious intent whether they are armed with a gun, knife, or crowbar. I think you missed the part of the story where he went to the crawlspace under the house where they were hiding that indicates he was there for her or her children it certainly does not appear that this was a case where he was looking for valuables but instead he was looking for victims.

Your response seems to say that you would rather her and her children be victimized rather than her being able to defend herself and family. That may not be your intent but that is how you come across.

BS he wasnt looking for victims he was looking for valuables.
In one article it said attic, what a crawl space? if she was able to stand over him it doent sound like some tiny little alcove.

Of course I dont wish they were victims but if this woman hadnt of been so stupified with fear all this could have been avoided. Instead her and her kids have now been traumatised.

Sounds like a win win to me

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Ya well I'm happy it worked out for you that way. Consider yourself LUCKY he wasn't armed.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This has been discussed ....... at length.

If every burglar was shot dead, there would be no burglaries, ever. Now that would be a good thing.

P

top topics

<<   2 >>

join