It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The AR-15 lower receiver shortage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SM2
two things, first off, if you make it for yourself you are not " in the business of" secondly, if you remove the business aspect, and it is for personal use, not to be transferred in anyway, then the federal government has zero jurisdiction over it, and it is up to local and state laws

This is exactly how it was explained to me by my investigator. If you are not selling it then there is no business transaction.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
no no, two years ago we just bought all we wanted......one for the 450.....nato......50.......and enough uppers for the friends and family and friends of the family and their immediate families. NOTE: one has to custom adjust and file down each of the upper calibers and application. they don't work well just out of the box....shells jamb till ya bend that ejector just right.
bought 'em when they dropped from $900 dollars to 6

edit on 9-1-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Lower receivers are stamped with serial numbers and are sold as a gun. They require the same background check and so forth. The point of having some AR type lower receivers is that you can finish it as you can afford to do so. If you do not know much about guns which is clear for some posters to this thread the AR rifle is very expensive. Buy a lower now while you can. Find one if you can.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by exitusstatuquo

If the receiver is in a completed state all the holes drilled so on and so forth if it isn't and yes there are guidelines as to what is complete, but there are legal sales of 60% receivers out there and they aren't as incomplete as you might think the patterns to finish them are available online and you really only need a drill or Dremel and no how to layout a die to finish them.. And let's face it drilling holes isn't like timing a revolver or anything

In many states if you complete a lower for personal use you must stamp your address on the firearm and when you are done with it since you can not transfer ownership it must be cut to BATF standards in order to disable any attempted use
edit on 1/10/2013 by geocom because: Typo add info

edit on 1/10/2013 by geocom because: Yet another typo

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

That was some good info. Much appreciated addition to this thread in my opinion. I had been talking to some fellows at a recent gun show and they were saying pretty much the same thing. The rules and hoops you got to jump through will just get tougher in the current political climate it is clear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join