It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for people that live in the USA

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Completely relevant if you read the thread.

This whole thread is irrelevant if they have nuclear bombs. Then you were correct at the top of the last page.

If they don't have them and aren't trying to, then the analogy on this thread is spot on. Americans trying to tell another country what to do while getting mad at anyone that tells them what to do in their country.

Explain how you believe it is not relevant.

Edit: Nice straw man argument though, I just about fell for it.
edit on 10-1-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by superman2012 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If Iran do not have nukes and aren't trying to get them, then the Americans are not employing a double standard, they are just wrong in their assumptions about Iran which is a subject for a different thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Americans trying to tell another country what to do while getting made at anyone that tells them what to do in their country.

Americans trying to tell another country what to do in what they believe is a worldwide issue, versus other countries telling the US what to do in what is a national issue only.

No double standard regardless of whether Iran has nukes or not.

In effect they are saying, gun control is a US only issue, so stay the hell out of it as it does not affect you in any way. I don't think the same applies to the Iran situation.

By the way, I believe both subjects are fair game for anyone, so I both agree and disagree with you. I think those in the US complaining about others commenting on their issues are being dumb and unfair, but I don't think there is a double standard, they're just acting like good old regular Americans who think the whole rest of the world is pointless.
edit on 10-1-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I can only relate the facts as I know them,where your head takes them is another matter.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Americans trying to tell another country what to do in what they believe is a worldwide issue, versus other countries telling the US what to do in what is a national issue only.

Right, but it is not a worldwide issue. It is a national issue. Just as people telling the US what to do about their national issue.

No double standard regardless of whether Iran has nukes or not.

The double standard is the hypocrisy. If you can't see it, there is not any way to make you see it.

In effect they are saying, gun control is a US only issue, so stay the hell out of it as it does not affect you in any way. I don't think the same applies to the Iran situation.

What your thoughts are is exactly what my thread is about...you just don't happen to be American, but you fit the description to a T. I thought that if someone came along who was guilty of this, they wouldn't be able to see how this relates to them. I just thought it would be an American.

By the way, I believe both subjects are fair game for anyone, so I both agree and disagree with you. I think those in the US complaining about others commenting on their issues are being dumb and unfair, but I don't think there is a double standard, they're just acting like good old regular Americans who think the whole rest of the world is pointless.

I believe that people can talk about whatever they want. I was specifically asking about the hypocrisy of this particular subject though. I can see your point, but, it doesn't fit anywhere in this thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Fair enough. I asked a simple question that people are not answering. That's their prerogative.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I don't believe that the US has a right to tell other countries what to do or how to do it.

Is it going to turn out bad if Iran has nuclear capability? Yeah most likely I think.

I don't think you can dictate what people can do because of a what if scenario.

Maybe I am wrong but I would not interfere with Iran but I would let it be know VERY clearly that if they used the technology for the wrong reasons and attacked the USA with it they would be leveled and it would be the end of their culture quickly and absolutely........period.

If they nuke somebody it would be horrific but I can't run people's lives over what they "might" do.

flame away.......

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't believe its a double standard at all. If Ahmadinejad had nukes then what makes anyone think he wont follow through with his threats of destroying Israel. That is a global concern. What we have with our gun rights issues is a national issue. Its not just America trying to discourage Iran from gaining nuclear weapons. I'm sure your country is against it too. Its just we Americans are the leaders.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

I don't believe that the US has a right to tell other countries what to do or how to do it.

Is it going to turn out bad if Iran has nuclear capability? Yeah most likely I think.

I don't think you can dictate what people can do because of a what if scenario.

Maybe I am wrong but I would not interfere with Iran but I would let it be know VERY clearly that if they used the technology for the wrong reasons and attacked the USA with it they would be leveled and it would be the end of their culture quickly and absolutely........period.

If they nuke somebody it would be horrific but I can't run people's lives over what they "might" do.

flame away.......

100% agree with you.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument that doesn't rely on Iran having/using a bomb. Thank you for staying in the present. If only other people could do that, we might be able to have a real discussion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by burnett662
I don't believe its a double standard at all. If Ahmadinejad had nukes then what makes anyone think he wont follow through with his threats of destroying Israel. That is a global concern. What we have with our gun rights issues is a national issue. Its not just America trying to discourage Iran from gaining nuclear weapons. I'm sure your country is against it too. Its just we Americans are the leaders.

Yes but you are relying on your assumption that Iran has or is building nukes. What if they aren't and they just want nuclear power for their country, what are your thoughts then?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

My thoughts is I've seen that show before with saddam and gulf storm. Its likely that that is the case however when Ahmadinejad has stated publicly he wants to destroy Israel then that's where my problem is.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RN311

Thanks and I couldn't agree more.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
That's one of the advantages of being a Superpower. What good is it to be Number 1 if you can't throw your weight around.

We won't stay a superpower if we keep trying to appease our enemies.

link   
reply to post by burnett662

As far as I am concerned, that is the only thing israel and iran have in common.

Their mutual feelings toward one another.

As their international neighbors, how does one mutually settle the issue peacefully?

link   

Originally posted by burnett662

My thoughts is I've seen that show before with saddam and gulf storm. Its likely that that is the case however when Ahmadinejad has stated publicly he wants to destroy Israel then that's where my problem is.

I'm not being sarcastic, but, can you please give me a source that isn't from Israel where he states he wants to destroy Israel?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
reply to post by burnett662

As far as I am concerned, that is the only thing israel and iran have in common.

Their mutual feelings toward one another.

As their international neighbors, how does one mutually settle the issue peacefully?

Step back and let them have at it...but make sure their leaders are the ones on the front lines. I bet that would be an end to war.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
That's one of the advantages of being a Superpower. What good is it to be Number 1 if you can't throw your weight around.

We won't stay a superpower if we keep trying to appease our enemies.

Or if you keep making enemies.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
reply to post by RN311

Thanks and I couldn't agree more.

Lol! Star for you.

PS- you know that is a lie.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

If that is the case, I call dibs on what is left for my Viking and Phoenician ancestors. Of course, I would insist on being a UN referee...but after the fight, let's just say all is fair in love and war.

Originally posted by superman2012 I bet that would be an end to war.

I see your bet and raise, that if war was still fought with swords and spears, there would be less as well.

edit on 10-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

"Iran is very well known for fighting by proxy.. in other words, they don't directly engage their enemies.. instead they provide funding and weapons to groups that attack their enemy for them... Now imagine they had nuclear weapons.... they "lose" one and one of those groups they support "finds" it....."

Replace Iran with the US.

Many countries have been known to use this tactic. America, Russia and China.

Let's assume Iran did sell nuke to a terrorist organization. If a terror group did say, nuke Israel, Iran would look like the culprit. Iran would be shooting themselves in the foot, they're not that stupid.

You guys want another Iraq? You want more war? Then fine let's go invade Iran. Iran is not going to nuke the US. They would gain nothing from it other then have their own country blown up.

This is yet more war propaganda that the masses will easily accept.

Already over 1 million dead Iraqis and now the same excuse is being used to invade Iran.

Talk about insanity.

edit on 10-1-2013 by Kang69 because: quote

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join