It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for people that live in the USA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Which issue is it that you are really interested in the international arms race or US internal politics dealing with the second amendment? I can speak with you on either issue but the two are as different as night and day.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by superman2012

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Personally, as an individual and American, I see no reason they they can not be.

I do not buy into all the propaganda media circus hype about Ahmadinejad, and have the same professional respect for him as Putin or George sr, of course two of these mentioned were intel officers and presidents of their respective nations, but my point should be conveyed.

Show me evidence of the contrary and I may, reconsider. Of course it hasn't happened as of yet.

So, are you saying, if they are developing/have developed nuclear bombs you would support a pre-emptive attack on them?

Preemptive strike is another word for I want to start a war. A barking dog doesn't always bite. North Korea was building nukes and threatening our ally and we never attacked them. They have nukes now and haven't used them. There is no logical reason for America to attack Iran.

I agree with you, however, what are your thoughts regarding the question?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Which issue is it that you are really interested in the international arms race or US internal politics dealing with the second amendment? I can speak with you on either issue but the two are as different as night and day.

Well, seeing as how my question was about neither, you can describe them both to me.

My question was:

Why do AMERICAN CITIZENS AS I SEE THEM ON ATS feel the need to judge and tell people halfway around the world what they should do, when THOSE SAME AMERICAN CITIZENS tell people that live halfway around the world to butt out when they offer their opinions on how the americans should handle their country?

Edit: I think I made myself clear on page 2.
edit on 9-1-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

"Why do AMERICAN CITIZENS AS I SEE THEM ON ATS feel the need to judge and tell people halfway around the world what they should do, when THOSE SAME AMERICAN CITIZENS tell people that live halfway around the world to butt out when they offer their opinions on how the americans should handle their country?"

What places CANADIAN CITIZENS AS I SEE THEM ON ATS in a position of asking such a ridiculous and loaded question?

You sure have grouped quite a few of the subset of the nearly 330 million Americans who post here on ATS into the same pigeon hole. In fact, I'd like to see your numbers on this rant seeing as how it's gone on this long without any real substantive statistics to show your displeasure. Otherwise, I'm counting it as phoney rabble-rousing of the worst kind.
edit on 1/9/2013 by skyzeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Superman was made by Canadians, Metropolis is based on Toronto, and Superman renounced his US Citizenship.

Superman was made by a American and a Canadian.

The Daily Planet building is based on the Toronto Star building.

Superman can't renounce his US Citizenship because he doesn't have one. Clark Kent is the one with the citizenship and he has never renounced his US Citizenship. And DC has stated that Superman will always remain as American as apple pie.

link   

"Edit: I think I made myself clear on page 2."

You did make yourself clear. Your Canadian.

link   

"Edit: I think I made myself clear on page 2."

You did make yourself clear. You're Canadian.
edit on 1/9/2013 by skyzeagle because: grammar

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Please stay on topic now...let's hear your thoughts on the question.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Good question and bravo.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Being one who has commented at least once about being told how to live from others, all I can personally reply to is the fact that I don't agree with anyone sticking their noses into someone else's life. As long as someone is causing no harm they should be left to live their own lives.
I don't agree with my government legislating common sense, or attacking our healthy food supply or the miles long list of the things that politicians decide to do against the general will of the people that gave them the job to serve us in the first place.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Thank you, any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Right, I also believe it shouldn't be the governments job to protect us from ourselves.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

As a Canadian citizen, you really don't have any place posing this question by way of surrogate through American citizens such as the ones providing you their opinions.

It must be horrible to be so close to a citizenship within the United States of America where you could actually answer this question all by yourself, where you could freely vote and even enjoy the soon to be more limited rights of gun ownership.

The truth of the matter is, as Americans we have Freedom of Speech. We embrace that right, something you may or may not enjoy to the full extent that we do as you live in Canada. You'll have to educate me on that one. But I do know this, my Freedom of Speech while excluding me from shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre does entitle me to speak up about what I believe we should be doing to protect our interests at home an abroad.

I can only speak for myself in saying that when asked if we should or shouldn't tell Iran they can make a nuclear bomb, it comes down to a far more complex equation than any that involves me personally as an American citizen and gun ownership, or automobile licensing or taxes or any law that affects me personally.

So while I may have an opinion, I entrust the duly elected officials of my country to ultimately make the choices that are best for me, the interests of my country and my country's allies around the globe. Even our good neighbor to the North.

That is a reply suitable of a Superman. Not just somebody wearing the cape.
edit on 1/9/2013 by skyzeagle because: class

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Then I will make it simple. We tell countries to but out of our business the same way other countries tell us to stay out of theirs we can say it the same as others do however this has not stopped either side from offering there 2 cents worth on any subject at hand regardless of how either side feels about the matter. If you doubt that just rummage through some threads here on ATS there is an abundance of people who continue to weigh in on our gun laws whether we object to it or not. There are threads dealing with The laws on free speech in the UK where Americans are told to but out not that it matters because we will still have our say if we so choose. On the governmental side the US has objected to human rights treatment in other countries which sometimes has an effect and we have countries like Australia objecting to our second amendment freedoms however these issues will always be ultimately decided by those belonging to those nations and not the outside nations.

If your only question is why we tell others to but out of our business the answer is simple. Because we can.

The world isn’t fair and neither is life but it is what it is.

-------------------------------------------
I wonder if Superman ever got laid. If he did it would have had to of been with Wonder Woman let’s hope he wasn’t as fast as a speeding bullet.

edit on 9-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by woodsmom

Right, I also believe it shouldn't be the governments job to protect us from ourselves.

But, it is our duty to make sure that we the people, do not have to protect our selves from the government.

Meaning, it should not get to that point...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

You covered all the immediate thoughts I had at the moment, so, no. Well maybe one thought, perhaps you hit the nail on the head.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Personally, as an individual and American, I see no reason they they can not be.

I do not buy into all the propaganda media circus hype about Ahmadinejad, and have the same professional respect for him as Putin or George sr, of course two of these mentioned were intel officers and presidents of their respective nations, but my point should be conveyed.

Show me evidence of the contrary and I may, reconsider. Of course it hasn't happened as of yet.

So, are you saying, if they are developing/have developed nuclear bombs you would support a pre-emptive attack on them?

Preemptive strike is another word for I want to start a war. A barking dog doesn't always bite. North Korea was building nukes and threatening our ally and we never attacked them. They have nukes now and haven't used them. There is no logical reason for America to attack Iran.

I agree with you, however, what are your thoughts regarding the question?

You mean this question?

So, my question is, why is it ok for some US citizens to tell people what to do in their country, but, if someone tells you what to do in your country, it is stupid and they should keep their nose out of your business?

That's easy because we are the number one superpower on the planet and no one tells the number one power what to do. And the big dog on the block can screw whatever dog he wants because they know what will happen to them if they try to do anything about it. This is the mentality of many Americans now.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Advisor, we elect people to lead. We don't hand them outrageous firepower and hope to God they're right when the chips are down.

That's not how a Democracy works. And for the love of logic, an INDIVIDUAL does not garner the same rights as a CORPORATION or a COUNTRY. The fact that in some cases I have heard the concepts being interchanged on this thread of individual rights vs. sovereign rights between nations is maddening.

This is precisely what I meant earlier by not mixing legal metaphors, Superman. Get them straight.
edit on 1/9/2013 by skyzeagle because: clarification.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Look to China as the new superpower.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skyzeagle

I agree.

But I prefer a republic, in which we started, versus the democracy which some speak of.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join