It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OperationLovestrike

Originally posted by havok
My thoughts? I am taking this into a new direction.

After many more "discoveries" and articles from these scientists...
A perceived threat will come from the skies in the form of "extra-terrestrials".
Just like the plan I read about years ago...

It will be the largest threat to ever hit modern civilization.
Global chaos will ensue.
But will it be real?

What will happen, you ask?
Everything from nationwide riots, to modern warfare.
The television will be it's greatest ally.
Striking fear into households daily.
Fear drives this nation to consume.
It will also drive it to accept whats coming.

More control.

(You wanted my thoughts. That's exactly what came to mind)

I'm thinking the exact same thing! When this happens I will calmly tell everyone I know not to worry and that it's a hoax lol.

I think that as well. The Extra Terrestrial threat. I heard of the same plan, but it was more sinister than that.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
nice how long would it take to get there though

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Would we not have difficulty walking around because of gravity when setting foot on such a big planet?

Here is the conspiracy... TPTB are looking for an alternative planet to go after having nuked ours..
edit on 11/1/2013 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This thread is so hopeless, at least it gives me a very hopeless feeling.

One of two things.

There's a planet like Earth, which we won't ever get to, ever ever... especially in our life times.
So, that's one hopless thing.

Two: If there are bunches and bunches of planets like Earth with people on it like us, that entirely reduces (more than any given Major city) the identity and uniqueness of ourselves.

This will serve to do nothing else but to challenge people's faiths, in Jesus.

And that would be the third thing, and... the third thing, I guess... can be a good thing.

People's faiths should, in a way, be challenged, so they are made stronger.

Know that no matter how big the Universe is, that Jesus is still Lord and Creator.

He is that great.

Really, the Bible almost suggests that there isn't life elsewhere. And I believe it. I do.

Those planets could be anything, for anything, considering your acknowledgement of so many different dimensions and angles on reality, do consider that planets aren't even planets, do consider that nothing is really what it seems.
Afterall, your mind is awesome enough that it can stretch to the farthest reaches of space. Try stretching to the farthest
reaches of possibility while you're at it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjbuu
nice how long would it take to get there though

thing that bothers me the most is if we do ever get the ability to travel close to the speed of light, and we spend +20 years to get to a distant planet 20 light years away, because of time dilation etc a significant amount of time would have past on earth(+100 years) before they even get there! let along for a signal to find its way back to earth reporting what they had found

Lee.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i thought we were going to be told life exists out there by the end of 2012...

they are telling us in lil bits...

draw your own conclusions

i know we are not alone

all is well, you will remember sooner or later

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Well, my thoughts on that is if you look at the odds, it doesn't seem unlikely at all that there would be millions, maybe even billions of planets in our universe that are capable of sustaining life. In the paraphrased words of Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson, if you look at the number of stars in the known universe: if one in a million of those stars had planets around them, and one in a million of those have planets capable of sustaining life, and if one in a million of them have any similarity to the conditions prevalant on earth, well...you do the math....I personally suck at it lol. But the point I'm trying to make is that it is extremely arrogant to think that we are alone in the universe. Especially considering that we are primarily composed of some of the most abundant elements in the universe. The way Neil put it is that, theoretically speaking, life would seem to be an inevitable consequence of the universe if all conditions are met in the way that they were on Earth, and possibly at some point, on Mars (recently large quantities of methane were found there, which is a gas that can be created through mammalian digestive processes.).

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Personaly, I think that in the next 10 to 20 years interstellar travel will be available. I think that it is available today but kept hidden, but that is not the point. The thing is that today there are far to many players to bribe or keep silent, startups on space tech pop up every day, you have the Google Lunar X Prize that brought up new players on the market, etc.

My point, if a couple of years ago we had only boeing, lockheed, and maybe half a dozen more companies dealing with space, today that number trippled at least. The big companies were always working on a state budget to build prototypes and so on, the new copanies are working on their own budgets, on private budgets so are less likely to be kept silent.

just think about this, in 2013 we are using the same flight tech as the nazis developed in ww2. sure, they put up some nice touchscreens in commercial jets and they made some power developments with fuel reduction but all in all, it's the same engine. so if anybody means to say that in 70 years nobody came up with a better flight engine and craft all I say that is bull****.
just my 2 cents

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Ridiculous... this is like saying "Man, that was a good looking woman." determined by the residual heat left on the toilet seat.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Midnight4444

Somebody made a comment about it being 1930 light-years away in an exoplanet app. But after googling for several minutes was unable to find a definite name of the host star.

I did find that it's:
1) G-type star
2) Slightly coolor than our star

Maybe they'll name the host star and give the distance soon.

Also.... this is an unconfirmed candidate. It's not certain yet that it's accurate.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

1930 Light Years away?
They need to point the Kepler Telescope at the Tau Ceti Star System. 11.9 LY

It's a G8V Star.

Nearby Planet is called Xeta.
Nearby Star Systems

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Thank God.
it is far away that humanity can not reach it and ruin it like our own earth !!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgalahan2
This will serve to do nothing else but to challenge people's faiths, in Jesus.

Not that I'm trying to push any one particular Religious view or another but, didn't Jesus say something along the lines of...

John 14:2-3 [2] In my Father's house are many mansions:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by maes2

I went to the Kepler Telescope webpage.
I think they will move the camera to the left and make a discovery at the
Deneb Star System.
Planet Ritol : Deneb Star System 2,600 Light Years away

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Almost 140 flags for nothing? What is wrong with you. You dont even know what planets and stars are.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K

You're living on a planet and our sun is a star.

Hope that helps

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izak4K
Almost 140 flags for nothing? What is wrong with you. You dont even know what planets and stars are.

At last. An *expert* in our midst...please enlighten us, oh galactic master....

Des

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I would give my left foot to see this planet up close and personal,I hope in my lifetime it happens.
can you imagine the differences and similarties between Earth and this planet?Not to mention the people and plants that may inhabit it.

Thank you for blowing my mind today!lol

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by angryhulk

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am not an 'expert' on this subject, but I believe that professionals can now determine the atmospheric condition, interior composition, accelleration of gravity and biosignatures of exoplanets.

Ok. You are wrong.
The only thing that can be determined about small rocky planets is their size (mass actually) and their distance from their star.

edit on 1/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

OK. I disagree with you.

Density and Bulk Composition
If a planet is detectable by both the radial-velocity and the transit methods, then both its true mass and its radius can be found. The planet's density can then be calculated. Planets with low density are inferred to be composed mainly of hydrogen and helium, while planets of intermediate density are inferred to have water as a major constituent. A planet of high density is believed to be rocky, like Earth and the other terrestrial planets of the Solar System.

Atmosphere
Spectroscopic measurements can be used to study a transiting planet's atmospheric composition. Water vapor, sodium vapor, methane, and carbon dioxide have been detected in the atmospheres of various exoplanets in this way.
Another line of information about exoplanetary atmospheres comes from observations of orbital phase functions. Extrasolar planets have phases similar to the phases of the Moon. By observing the exact variation of brightness with phase, astronomers can calculate particle sizes in the atmospheres of planets.
Stellar light is polarized by atmospheric molecules; this could be detected with a polarimeter. So far, one planet has been studied by polarimetry.

Temperature
One can estimate the temperature of an exoplanet based on the intensity of the light it receives from its parent star. For example, the planet OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb is estimated to have a surface temperature of roughly −220 °C (50 K).

... This is just a few examples of calculations (or best estimates) you can make regarding an exoplanets characteristics

Source

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Are SETI now pointing their dishes directly at the planets now? If they aren't they should be...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izak4K

I'm going to interrupt here if you don't mind...

What?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join