It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon, The Second Most Common STD May Not Be Able To Be Treated With Antibiotics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
VIA ThinkProgress

I'm sorry to all the conservatives out there as I know ThinkProgress is part of the Evil Soros empire and thus must be hated, but hey, I thought I'd let you know the clap is now antibiotic resistant.

There’s only one effective oral antibiotic treatment currently used to treat gonorrhea in North America — but that number might soon drop to zero, since researchers have identified the first cases of gonorrhea immune to the antibiotic.

A study released in the Journal of the American Medical Association on Tuesday found that nearly seven percent of the patients at a Toronto clinic remained infected with the disease even after a round of oral cephalosporins, the lone remaining oral antibiotic that can effectively treat the resistant strains of gonorrhea. This presents a potential long-term public health crisis for the United States, where gonorrhea is the second most common sexually transmitted disease with 321,849 cases reported in 2011. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) already issued guidance to physicians in August steering them away from oral cephalosporins as a first line treatment for gonorrhea, citing resistance risks.

So, if you are really itchy soon and you can't figure it out maybe you've got killer clap. Maybe I should be more serious, I dunno, maybe a PSA or something: Hey, wrap it up. Please, for the sake of your reproductive parts, wrap it up.

Perhaps this will spur the drug companies into really working toward new antibiotics. This is something that has been needed for the last 10 years but, there just isn't much money to be had in it so it's not likely to happen. I wager when genitals in this country are blowing up faster than a suicide bomber there will be some money in antibiotics.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
in your youth you get the chances to play, so as an adult 1 should be good enough for you to stay?? in short find 1 good for you don't be greedy and as posted practice safe sex.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
VIA ThinkProgress
Perhaps this will spur the drug companies into really working toward new antibiotics.

So that the killer clap can become even MORE resistant?

Here's an idea: Don't screw strangers, especially sans jimmy hat.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Well, not everyone is monogamous and they aren't keen on letting their partners know it. Innocent people get caught in that all the time and end up with STD's. Personally, with the state of things being as they are, I would demand documented proof someone is clean before they even got in the sheets. That's all I can say about that. You can also get the clap in your throat too.

It's a serious public health issue and telling people to "stop being hoes" just isn't going to cut the mustard.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Hasn't there been a drug-resistant strain of gonorrhea around for a while now? Or am I confusing this with syphilis? In any event, it was really only a matter of time, wasn't it?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It was rumored before, now it is just being confirmed through actual study.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

reply to post by AwakeinNM

It's a serious public health issue and telling people to "stop being hoes" just isn't going to cut the mustard.

Its about realizing the benefits of being with 1 as many mature as opposed to being young and running around unclear with many.. for even being protected you can still get ill so its best to try yes its not the easiest for many but try to respect yourselves more.. that was my point antonia not calling any out their name or judging.
edit on 1/9/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Its about realizing the benefits of being with 1 as many mature as opposed to being young and running around unclear with many.. for even being protected you can still get ill so its best to try yes its not the easiest for many but try to respect yourselves more.. that was my point antonia not calling any out their name or judging.

But you still are judging. You are proclaiming having multiple partners is disrespectful to one's self. That's judgement. It's your right to do that, but it's still judgement.

Either way, humans are just going to be humans. A lot of people like to have more than one partner. No amount of shaming will make them not do it. I see the whole "Stop being hoes" argument as pointless.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

But you still are judging. You are proclaiming having multiple partners is disrespectful to one's self. That's judgement. It's your right to do that, but it's still judgement.

No I am not I am only placing logical data related to genetics of HUMANS, for the more humans an individual sleeps with they basically RISK exposure to those humans DNA that may seem benign at first but the more partners the more your body has to respond not necessarily fight but respond to another body(s) fluids DNA and over time this can degrade the person(s) with many partners body and health w/o even having STD s. So Again I am not judging just making logical observation. Do you really think if a person has 1000 or more sex partners and slept with them all protected that their body didn't have to deal with the exposure no where?

Either way, humans are just going to be humans. A lot of people like to have more than one partner. No amount of shaming will make them not do it. I see the whole "Stop being hoes" argument as pointless.
see above genetic degrading data.. be safe

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The black clap has been around since vietnam if you believe the troops.......
Resistant strains of many commonly cued diseases are springing up everywhere......
The whole antibiotics "thing" was dome to death ages ago.......
Even if they find a new anibiotic like Panda blood has......it will only be effective a certain period of time, and there will be other resistance strains to it.....(i dont know if pandas get clap)
i GUESS THEY CAN ALWAYS GO BACK TO THE MERCURY CURE.....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I'll be judgmental. Looks like we've got a revolution here. The banking/financial collapse is forcing people to be more responsible with their finances, and the killer STD's will force people to be more responsible with their moral/sexual lives.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
allready posted here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Really isn't surprising, at least to me...

So many people are on antibiotics for so many various reasons that everything will eventually become a "super-bug", at least if you believe in evolution. The stronger bugs survive and build resistance to the drugs.

My wife has Cystic Fibrosis and her Pseudomonas infection has gradually become more and more resistant to each of the antibiotics that they have treated it with to the point that it is resistant to almost everything.

It's the same way that MRSA became such a big deal.

Everything will eventually go that way, at least from my viewpoint and in my opinion.
edit on 1-9-2013 by Milk because: Punctuation...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

I'll be judgmental. Looks like we've got a revolution here. The banking/financial collapse is forcing people to be more responsible with their finances, and the killer STD's will force people to be more responsible with their moral/sexual lives.

That is 1 way to look at it Happy1. Self control somewhat.

reply to post by Milk

Maybe some technology needs developed that somehow tricks the strains into lowering their resistance abilities, by some kind of exposure to a less effective antibiotic but at more doses maybe. There has to be a way to slow down otherwise more evolution is needed to evolve with these strains.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Well, they already have ways around it, but it is relatively dangerous. Both Chemo-therapy and radiation take care of many of the bugs, but the side-effects are often worse than the bugs themselves.

They keep coming up with new drugs, and the bugs build resistances... We just need to outpace them, which is easier said than done, especially with the FDA holding approvals up (not that I'm saying that is bad, we need to know the effects first).

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Milk

It's called Nanotechnology. You won't need an antibiotic at all, just use nano-machines to get rid of em.

Originally posted by goou111 allready posted here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, I searched my exact title and found no result. You can report it if you want, no big deal.
edit on 9-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Milk

It's called Nanotechnology. You won't need an antibiotic at all, just use nano-machines to get rid of em.

True enough, however we are years (probably decades) away from useable nanotechnology. Unfortunately, even when we get to the point where it is useful on a large scale, we will still be 10, 15, or 20 years out from FDA approval. I am far too familiar with the process to be optimistic.

The Pseudomonas that my wife has was not resistant to anything 4 years ago. As little as 6 months ago, it was sensitive to Cipro, Maropenem, (both of which she had avoided taking for years specifically so that it wouldn't become resistant) and four or five other readily available antibiotics. Today, it has mutated into Mucoid Pseudomonas and is now resistant to all but a couple antibiotics which are increasingly more difficult to obtain and are far worse for the patient. They progress much more quickly than our FDA.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Milk

I read your wife has CF. Your problem is much more pressing than this and I am sorry to hear it. I hope something comes up for her.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Milk

I read your wife has CF. Your problem is much more pressing than this and I am sorry to hear it. I hope something comes up for her.

I truly appreciate your sentiment, but there is no need to be sorry. It is something we have lived with for a long time (her since she was born obviously) and will continue to strengthen our life experiences. We consider ourselves very fortunate. Many people are much worse off than us. While there are limited options for treatment of CF and its associated problems, there are options. Many people afflicted with many other diseases don't have one option, much less two or three.

Imagine the worst thing you can think of having to go through, and rest easy knowing that there is likely someone else going through that or something worse. The only thing that you can do is live life for each day you have, and count your blessings.

I apologize for the off topic reply, but I thought it was important.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

A lot of people like having non-consentual sex, too. Are you going to apologize for them? What about the people who don't like to pay for merchandise at the store? There are plenty of those people.

There is right and wrong. Doesn't matter what you LIKE doing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join