It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cops All Out of Ammo

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
There is a shortage of ammo here where I live. We've been watching for it to come in for more than a month now and it's just not there. We're in a farming community where hunting supplies food for families and also farmers use bullets to put down injured animals.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hattie

Is it all ammo?

Where I am the shelves are empty of the typical "military" stuff like 5.56, .308 and 9mm but there are a ton of .45, .30-06, .30-30, .243, etc...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So you want are cops to have no ammo to train? So when it is time to shoot you have someone who is now no different than a civilian with a gun.

But I can confirm that we used to get rounds every month to train with and now we only qualify once a year....The average patrolman on our department shoots 30 rounds a year. Its pathetic. We have had a reduction in training as well..and when we do get training (mandatory 40 hrs) it is even sometimes in a different field such as classes for attorneys or social workers or feel good classes with no depth to them. If the OP has such an issue with cops its only gonna get worse for you as we hire people we can't properly train and outfit with equipment. It took over 6 months to replace tires that had the tread completely worn off.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Man a lot of you guys paint with a very broad brush. All the blanket negative comments about law enforcement seriously make me second guess putting my butt on the line and coming to the public's aid in a SHTF situation. Hell it makes me second guess doing my normal job everyday.

That being said, most patrol officers qualify once a year with their handgun, rifle, and shotgun. We have to qualify day and night. Also at my department we usually shoot a couple of practice courses before qualifying. That alone is around 250+ rounds of ammo per officer.

I can't speak for other departments but we also do "tactical" shooting drills during qualifications as well. That is about another 100+ rounds per officer.

You also have to take into account SWAT training. They obviously shoot more often, using more rounds than patrol.

Again I can only speak for our department but we usually don't stock very much ammunition on hand. I know plenty of non military/non LEO that have more stocked personal ammo than our department. Our department is not huge, but it is not small either. We have a population of about 100,000.

Departments everywhere are getting hammered with budget cuts (just like everyone else). In the last year alone we have seen a 4.5% pay cut coupled with our pension being literally cut in half. So it would not surprise me that departments are seeing ammo shortages factoring in being broke, and the panic buying by everyone.

Hell I spoke with the newly elected mayor in one of the cities in our county who said that there is a storm coming. He said all the cities in our county are broke, just kicking the can down the road. He said there is no money for pensions and things are pretty much beyond fixing without some sort of collapse. He also said one of the first cities to go broke will be Titusville, Florida. Then the dominoes start falling for our county.

Anyways I have firearms training in a couple of weeks. I will let you know if we shoot any less than we normally do.
edit on 10-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Yeah man same here. We used to be able to get one to two boxes (50 to 100 rounds) to train on our own time every month. That stopped about two years ago.

Also pay and benefits have been substantially slashed. I have noticed that this has brought in a lot more "unqualified" candidates for the job. Our wash out rate has increased quite a bit.

Also I have noticed that the experienced guys (including me) have pretty much just given up. They either leave or just keep to themselves and not put in for any other positions. It's not worth it because there is no incentive to move, everything is lateral. This has caused all the boots to take newly opened positions. WE HAVE SEVERAL FIELD TRAINING OFFICERS WHO ONLY HAVE ONE (1) YEAR OF LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE. It's crazy.

It is only going to get worse.

edit on 10-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: grammar

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
How utterly ignorant does one have to be to seriously think that guns will be confiscated? They don't care about your pop guns. They want to keep the weak-minded among us scared. Seems they are doing a pretty good job.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am thinking the holes are tearing in the fabric of society now.....
Before, the shtf we will see further breakdowns...(less busses, lousy services,unrepaired breakdowns everywhere....Infrastructure is failing everywhere you look.......
The Local LEOs are 50/50 for the people, they will be starved along with the population.....
Only federal forces will be fully equipped and able to deal effectively with whatever comes....
We are looking at a serious shift in the paradigme, and further escalation of the NWO agenda.....
I believe that war is comming to a neighbourhood near you soon...................one way or another.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Too much to quote and respond to in this thread.

First there are very few Black youths in Sandy Springs. Now just south of 285? Thats a whole other matter.

Second the dogs in Sandy Springs are all breathing a little easier.

Third .40 is not a "waste of a round" Total BS.

Fourth you should be able to hit that "local Depot like gun stores" face book page and pull some photos of the shelves. They had some posted a week or so back.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Yeah man same here. We used to be able to get one to two boxes (50 to 100 rounds) to train on our own time every month. That stopped about two years ago.

Also pay and benefits have been substantially slashed. I have noticed that this has brought in a lot more "unqualified" candidates for the job. Our wash out rate has increased quite a bit.

Also I have noticed that the experienced guys (including me) have pretty much just given up. They either leave or just keep to themselves and not put in for any other positions. It's not worth it because there is no incentive to move, everything is lateral. This has caused all the boots to take newly opened positions. WE HAVE SEVERAL FIELD TRAINING OFFICERS WHO ONLY HAVE ONE (1) YEAR OF LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE. It's crazy.

It is only going to get worse.

edit on 10-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: grammar

Spot on with us...are from the same department both incognito? Haha just kidding...Ive been an FTO for years and on SWAT and cause I tell it like it is they have reduced my interaction with new guys...same thing with us...FTO's with less than 2 years on...how awful. Be safe brother.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Since the Constitutional power to secure the "homeland" was vested with the militias, perhaps they should acquire possession of the millions of rounds ordered by the DHS and others. I for one would feel much more secure knowing the ammo is in the hands of those who truly intend to defend my rights and liberty!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Do they practice with reloads? If not they should save the tax payers some money and start reloading.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
so this is why they will make guns illegal!
so they can take the Ammo and Guns from You and have them.

if they did not shoot two mag's of ammo at and on they like.
they would have more ammo.
no more target practist.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Here in Oregon the shelves are bare. I have been calling around and looking online, but I can't even find .22lr bricks anywhere. Forget about 7.62 or .223 as well.

edit on 1/10/13 by VikingWarlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
One of the cops I know has like 12000 speer rounds in his closet he got at the police range because other cops left them on the table and the armorer would rather give them away then check them in - they are like 1 dollar per round some places.

btw there is still plenty of ammo out there - check the forums and gun broker

www.gunbroker.com...
www.gunbroker.com...
edit on 10-1-2013 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is interesting news, could this be the begining of whats to come? I mean this could play perfectly into martial law and such with all gov't agency buying insane amounts of ammo. And does correlate with number 3, 4, and 6 as well as a few others, but those mainly in this thread. (idk whether if to be scared or what).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Going to make their confiscation door-kicking all that tougher I guess.

The Sandy Springs Police Department is facing a shortage of tens of thousands of bullets and is scrambling to restock. The neighboring counties are facing an equally dire situation, with both practice ammunition and duty ammunition in short supply. Douglas County Chief Deputy Stan Copeland predicts it could be 6-8 months before the back-orders come in.

“We’re going to get very concerned at the six-month level if that’s all we have in stock, because then we have to start planning and rationing,” Sult says.
link

Can't say this doesnt make me smile. As a population law enforcement are sick with stress, self-medicating, violent outbursts and crime.

If there's one population in this country that shouldnt be armed it's them.

It also means that A LOT of people are very well stocked at the moment, while the police are not. LOL. I really hope Douchebama doesn't commit treason and abolish our 2nd Amendment Rights while violating States Rights as well, while the police are so ill-prepared.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

“We’re going to get very concerned at the six-month level if that’s all we have in stock, because then we have to start planning and rationing,” Sult says.

This segment of the op has me wondering what exactly will make them sweat to plan and ration at the 6 month mark? Seems to me there may be a time threshold or target date to become "armed to teeth." Of the mindset that at a specified time they would need to be stocked and loaded, not business as usual.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Oh geez. I work in Sandy Springs and was just at my range/gun/ammo shop. They have home depot-sized shelves to the very high ceiling full of ammo for sale. Guess the cops don't shop there.

ETA: I'm going to the range again tomorrow and will take a picture if no one yells at me and post it here.

EATA: And aside from qualifying what twice a year, just how many rounds do the Sandy Springs police actually fire a day? Or a month?
Most of what they do is unsnarl traffic.
edit on 1/9/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Thanks for posting this. I am so friggin' sick and tired of all the fear mongers not only here at ATS but everywhere. Look, bad # happens. We must deal with those things, hopefully correcting the situations which lead to them, and move on.

Fear is the number one problem in this country right now; not the economy, not terrorists, not killer asteroids or a zombie apocalypse. Everyone is afraid of everything: afraid to speak up at work for the abuses they see for fear of losing their jobs, fear of retribution for identifying abuse of power, some ill defined fear of a black man in the White House, fear of the government in general, fear of our fellow man, just fear and more fear. This mindset is drawing us ever backwards into a repeat of the Dark Ages. OK, the Dark Ages with smart phones but not that much different.

We cannot live our lives this way. It takes great energy and lots of resources to sustain this level of fear and paranoia, which could be much better used to make the world a better place: cure cancer, end hunger, shelter the homeless, again create working communities.

I personally am not going to live this way. To live in fear is to waste your life.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I like the idea that Guns ans ammo are flying off the shelf, it can only mean one thing. It will be that much more difficult to 'even try' to disarm the public defenses against any ideas of planned Tyranny the government might be thinking of. We will not give up the second amendment. Get it?

If you can't keep Mexico from importing drugs, then........ ammo?
edit on 11-1-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Where I am the shelves are empty of the typical "military" stuff like 5.56, .308 and 9mm but there are a ton of .45, .30-06, .30-30, .243, etc...

I live in the rural south, and its the same in my area. The military calibers have long since sold out, but traditional hunting, shotgun and revolver ammunition are mostly still in good supply, with the exception of .22LR, which sells as soon as they get it in.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join