It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: The Hottest Year on Record by far

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissConstrood
reply to post by Rezlooper

You should come to the UK friend, 2012 was one cold wet year and it still is

Yet you haven't even had your first snowfall? Is that normal for January 10? That's what a poster said anyways.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm on the east coast, up north in Canada, in Newfoundland.

This past summer was our hottest in so many years so the elderly have said. I remember checking the temperatures and seeing 33C one morning. It was like that through the end of the June all the way to August. Everyday people were commenting on how unusually warm it was.

The worst thing about it on the east coast is how the warm sea temperatures linger all the way through the hurricane season now. I predict destructive hurricanes being the norm now.

I posted this on Twitter on Dec. 11th, "15C today in St. John's? Average Dec. temp is 2C, the record high is 16C. It's colder in the southern states sure."

The snow has been scarce up until today, where we're currently being bombarded by 100cm of snow with 120km gusts as I type this. I'm curious to see if the climate in 2012 will be similar to 2013 for North America. I'm willing to bet that it isn't going to get any better.
edit on 10/1/13 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

Thanks for the info Murkraz, and I think you're right...2013 is only going to get even more interesting.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
For all the 'this is normal' crowd I bet this amazing sight happens on your average year, huh. Check out the article on this thread here about a dust cloud over the water in Australia. And Australia isn't experiencing a lot of freak weather?

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=15711413#pid15711413

Ahead of the cyclone, West Australians were treated to a stunning dust storm off the coast of Onslow on Wednesday. The Bureau of Meteorology said the incredible sight of a ‘‘red wave’’ at sea was created as wind and rain caused the storm to dump the sand and dust it had taken from the land.

WAVES and winds are lashing north-west Australia while a wave of heat will engulf the eastern states again on Friday. A cyclone off Western Australia’s north coast is intensifying as it comes closer to land, prompting authorities to warn residents to prepare their homes and emergency kits. The Bureau of Meteorology warned that the category three severe tropical cyclone Narelle was expected to be upgraded to level four as it continued towards the Northwest Cape, near Karratha.

On the other side of the wide brown land, NSW firefighters were racing against time to contain problem fires before another explosion of scorching weather. Making the most of cooler conditions, they got on top of the fires to such an extent yesterday that there were no emergency or ‘‘watch and act’’ alerts in force. Of the 120 fires still burning in the state, only 17 remained uncontained. But the Bureau of Meteorology forecast a return to heatwave conditions across large parts of the state from Friday, after a two-day lull.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
U.S Snow Cover Map from Weather Channel

This for January 10 - Where is all the snow?

Tonight it's raining here in Northern Wisconsin and still 40 degrees tomorrow, so by tomorrow night we won't have any snow on the ground.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

The UK has had snow this winter already. That said, it is completely normal to not have snowfall in January. Here in the midlands we rarely get snow, and if we do it only lasts a couple of days.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissConstrood

The UK has had snow this winter already. That said, it is completely normal to not have snowfall in January. Here in the midlands we rarely get snow, and if we do it only lasts a couple of days.

Good to know, wasn't sure what you guys are supposed to have by now, thanks for the info. I was only posting what a UK resident had said, that they hadn't had snow yet where they were.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
double post
edit on 11-1-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
But the Koch brothers told me the world wasn't warming....

You mean they lied?

the ones making the biggest mess of the climate are the ones who have the most money to cover it up and sadly.... people really believe it.

does climate change happen normally? YES! is what's happening now part of the normal cycle? NO. under "normal" circumstances the cycle would take much much longer allowing time for adaptation. we have too many people and not enough time to adapt. we're screwed. not the earth... it will continue (like so many deniers like to say) but people won't.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
I am not saying your thread is incorrect but I thought I might as well throw this link into the mix and see what it stirs up.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Regards, Iwinder

reading the whole article.... there's one little bit where a scientists says the met office is full of it and by the end of the article it says that it's still warming which makes the headline slightly misleading. i also prefer to look at the climate scientists info because it's much more complete.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Oh crap, it's getting hotter. I know, let's tax the hell out of everyone. That'll fix everything!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

The weather has been crazy in England and the uk too this year, it's been the wettest year on record for England and lots of our weather systems come across the atlantic so it's probably related.
Bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae

Originally posted by WaterBottle
But the Koch brothers told me the world wasn't warming....

You mean they lied?

the ones making the biggest mess of the climate are the ones who have the most money to cover it up and sadly.... people really believe it.

does climate change happen normally? YES! is what's happening now part of the normal cycle? NO. under "normal" circumstances the cycle would take much much longer allowing time for adaptation. we have too many people and not enough time to adapt. we're screwed. not the earth... it will continue (like so many deniers like to say) but people won't. [/quote

Sadly....I have to say I agree with this post.

Yes warming is not new, it's happened before, but we have ADDED to it and there are so many of us needing to adapt NOW!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So looking back over the posts and if this were a poll (wish we had a poll option here at ATS by the way) then the consensus would be that a majority of us are experiencing abnormal weather.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Basically, abnormal is the new norm.

Our baseline has shifted.

It will continue to do so as the years pass.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Based on living here in Little Rock for the last 5 years...I would say abnormal...case in point right now it is 72 and we have a tornado watch out...tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 20's to mid 40's...a couple weeks back it was in the 70's then we had a massive snow and ice storm and it was in the teens and has crept back up...the other day was 42...I can say that in my time living here this weather is not the norm by any means.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

central texas here and it's definitely abnormal. it's mid january and i woke up sweating. it's in the mid 70's today!!! that's not at all normal. i don't ever remember it being this warm in january. we don't get super cold weather but january is usually in the 50's at least. a cold front will come through tomorrow and drop us back down below freezing but then the temps are going to go back up to the 60's in a week. our bug population this spring is going to EXPLODE.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

OK, not to call everyone a "Liar", or "Manipulators of Truth", but I'd REALLY like someones' opinion to the "Truth" as I'VE seen it over the last 23 years of going to sea.

I'm a Coast-Guard Licensed Chief Engineer (Unlimited Horsepower) who has spent the last 23 years fishing for the same company, on the same boat, in the same area of the Bering Sea since 1990. January to March of 2012 was WITHOUT A DOUBT the COLDEST I've seen in my entire career up here, and I've got Engine Room Logs that PROVE it. The ship I'm on is just under 400 feet long, with a crew of about 140. I have a staff of 8 engineers, each working a 12 hour watch, and every 4 hours we do rounds through the plant, taking down mundane information such as cylinder temps, exhaust temps, turbo speeds, air temps, and SEAWATER temps. Last year, the seawater was SO COLD, that my desalination plant FROZE UP. As a lot of people are aware, seawater has an average salinity of about 35,000 ppm, which allows it to remain liquid at about -2 c, or 28 F. As we remove the salts from the water, of course the freeze point increases, up to "about" -0.6. Also, we were about 300 nautical miles SOUTH of our usual fishing area, as the sea-pack ice was moving south-east by about that far further than we'd ever seen before. The outside air temp, with wind chill factor, averaged about -40 F for almost 6 weeks straight. After poring over our log books that go back to 1989, when the boat was new, I found that the lowest seawater temp we'd EVER had was -0.6 c in 1998.

I'm currently crossing the Gulf of Alaska heading up to Dutch Harbor from Seattle right now, and I'm already seeing water temps at +0.5 c, and we're still 1200 miles SOUTH of where we were last year.

Anyway.... Sorry to toss a wet blanket of Global Warming and all that, but this is just what I've personally observed over the last ALMOST quarter of a century....
edit on 13-1-2013 by ZEROZEE0 because: typo

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I WILL say, however, that at my home in the Seattle area, the weather's been a bit odd, as in a little warmer during this last summer, but OVERALL this Fall and Winter the temp has been unseasonably LOW, and a LOT wetter than usual....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ZEROZEE0

No worries. There's no good reason to think every location, whether by sea or land, will be warmer than usual. Pockets of exceptions will exist.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join