It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best designer? Sexiest plane?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

The real thing was the Northrop (Northrop Grumman was a long way away yet) YB 49 Flying Wing heavy bomber. Jack Northrop designed it to replace the Boeing B17 Fort. The first squadron was practically ready for delivery when the USAAF (United States Army Air Force) canned it for the previously stated reason. Jack nicked a lot of the idea and research from the Germans (Operation Paperclip, where do you think Apollo came from?) but the execution was all American.

right,ok,i see-sorry about the confusion.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Originally posted by optimus fett
Hey howlrunner,are you getting confused-this aircraft i pictured def didnt fly it was just ficticious,are you talking about other nazi flying wings?

It would have...except in the real thing the undercarriage retracted. Oh, yeah, it was real, it flew, it was cool. But the AAF (Army Air Force) rejected it because it couldn't carry the brand new a-bomb.

Yet a lot of people do not understand the shape of the capsule. It was a lifting body. You could actually 'fly' it on re-entry.

Regards mate

Not confused at all. except in the REAL thing...

The real thing was the Northrop (Northrop Grumman was a long way away yet) YB 49 Flying Wing heavy bomber. Jack Northrop designed it to replace the Boeing B17 Fort. The first squadron was practically ready for delivery when the USAAF (United States Army Air Force) canned it for the previously stated reason. Jack nicked a lot of the idea and research from the Germans (Operation Paperclip, where do you think Apollo came from?) but the execution was all American.

[edit on 1-11-2004 by HowlrunnerIV](spelling!)

[edit on 1-11-2004 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
That has to be the ugliest thing ever to 'grace' the sky. Works...yes. Ugly....definately. It is pure proof that with the right computer even a piano could fly. The wobbley goblin is UGLY.

The U-2 is ugly, but at LEAST it has an F-104 fuselage.

[edit on 10/31/2004 by just_a_pilot]

Why use a piano, with the rightmaths most things can be adapted to fly. (see link)
www.pub.nxs.net...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
IMHO the sexiest plane there is the Su-30!!

Good looking, amazing manuverability...you name it!

military.china.com...

[edit on 9-11-2004 by Daedalus3]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think the best designer is Burt Rutan.

One of my favorite looking new designs is the Iranian Shafag
h fighter based off the MiG I-2000.
The MiG I-2000
Model of the Shafagh
prototype trainer version of Shafagh

My other fav is the B2 Spirit

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Kind of looks like the JSF. Is it in production or still test?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
it's still mostly in the design & test stage. A prototype of the fighter version is supposed to be out around 2007-2008

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The Su-32 is a pretty nice looking plane. I like the Russian Mig 1.42. I don't think it's flown yet but it sure looks nice.

Sorry if the image is to big.

[edit on 11/9/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
A friend of our family owns both of these. Bill Anders.

Val-Halla

And Wampus Cat

Bill ground looped Val-Halla at Hill AFB a few years ago. She is flying again. See ya at Reno!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
All jets look almost exactly alike nowadays ... but this is my fav.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Like racing cars, eventually purpose defines design, I guess.

If you want ugly find a picture of the Airtruk. To see it in action watch Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome...

The Shafagh does look awfully modern for a middle-eastern bird.

NO DON'T SAY IT! *whisper* pathetic copies, anyone? *whisper* Uhh, too late.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Airtruk LOL. Ugly ...........yes. Functional HELL yes. The little wings on the bottom are more to spread seed and chemicals than lift. The vorticies off of the tips combine with the larger vortex from the main wing to spread seed across a wide area. Crop dusters are nuts, that is a dangerous game indeed!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   

The father of Jetplanes, it simply is outstanding, pure brillance.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
^^^Sir Frank Whittle and Gloster might argue with you over that claim...

Although Willy Messerschmitt's swept wing was more advanced. The only time in his career he ever got a wing design right first time.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
SEXY AS HELL!!!!! the fork tailed devil.xxx

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Although Willy Messerschmitt's swept wing was more advanced. The only time in his career he ever got a wing design right first time.

They were both nice aircraft but i believe the Me 262 was in fact the first operational jet fighter. The He 178 was actually the first jet powered aircraft but it was just a prototype. Lets not forget the P-80 shooting star either, it was a really nice plane too

P-80: Shooting Star

Me 262

Gloster Meteor

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Trent]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by denseuno
f-117 for sure sexiest

[edit on 31-10-2004 by denseuno]

ahhhh...not so sure i'd agree with ya, its a pretty good lookin plane but most planes labeled as good looking have smooth curves, which is basically the opposite of this.

When I was a kid I thought this thing looked like Darth Vaders helmut.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
F-117 looks like a fish, but it is very abstract from a traditional aircraft...

I like S-37 design, I think it has a bright future.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Hans von Ohain who develoed the first german jet engines publiclly stated that he got his ideas from Frank Whittle's 1929 paper and knew of his work on the subject (before it got classiffied) Whittle patented the idea in 1930 while ohain in 1936 (Whittle has an early prototype design built by 1935). In the end they mat after the war and decided to be co-designers. The fact the Germans got a plane into the air first was more to do with british politics and the RAF not taking it seriously than any lack of technical nohow.

We should all learn to call it a draw and just enjoy the jets for the buitiful engines they are

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk

Hans von Ohain who develoed the first german jet engines publiclly stated that he got his ideas from Frank Whittle's 1929 paper and knew of his work on the subject (before it got classiffied) Whittle patented the idea in 1930 while ohain in 1936 (Whittle has an early prototype design built by 1935). In the end they mat after the war and decided to be co-designers. The fact the Germans got a plane into the air first was more to do with british politics and the RAF not taking it seriously than any lack of technical nohow.

We should all learn to call it a draw and just enjoy the jets for the buitiful engines they are

Just to clarify, the Germans had their Me262 in *service* first, but the UK had a plane in the air first. THe RAFs remit during WW2 was to build as many aircraft as possible based on existing designs, so when they were approached by Whittle with a functioning prototype aircraft, they only reluctantly gave him funds to persue the Meteor. The Germans were the ones to embrace new technology quicker, but they overstretched themselves, thus losing the war.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join