It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New technology has touchscreens sprouting physical buttons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
hi

Okay for a guy with fat fingers like myself this will be great..

www.rawstory.com...

A new technology shown off at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas enables regular touch screens to sprout actual, physical buttons.

Developed by a company called Tactus, it works by manipulating a transparent fluid inside the screen and causing it to press up against a top polymer layer, which bulges up and creates a button that can be pressed.

The effects, shown in the video below, seem to promise that touch screens of the future won’t just be flat interactive displays, but dynamic devices with every bit as much tactile feedback as the keypads of old

Raw Story (s.tt...)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Of course the first thing I thought of is, to put it gently in a family friendly way in case babies are reading this, women's ta-tas. My mind may not be glued on straight, but at least it's hard-wired to some of the best things in life.

This tech sounds very interesting, and could have game implications, inter-web communication with other users, and such things as moving screens over to other screens on other computers to make use of a wider range of grab-hold-of-things things. And what I said in the first paragraph.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I would still need a stylus.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
wow how cool is that! Could see games being more interesting with this.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Nice, that looks pretty sweet to me! I'd be very happy with that feature! I have the note 2 (which is pretty big) and sometimes even in landscape I still hit the wrong keys! Having this would really help me I think... Though saying that I am getting used to using the stylus to write my messages freehand...

Never seen this before so S & F from me

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Really?
That's the first thing you thought lol?

I imagined some kind of squishy kids toy..... ohhh.... ok, I see.

On topic-

This is actually awesome! It's amazing how technology changes! I would never have thought of this myself!
They always say the military is 40 years ahead of us; imagine what they're using today!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ugh double post.
edit on 9-1-2013 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by goou111

Nice, that looks pretty sweet to me! I'd be very happy with that feature! I have the note 2 (which is pretty big) and sometimes even in landscape I still hit the wrong keys! Having this would really help me I think... Though saying that I am getting used to using the stylus to write my messages freehand...

Never seen this before so S & F from me

Im so behind on technology I didnt even know what the stylus was untill you guys started talking about it in this thread

but i now i gotta get it lol.....

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Pretty freakin' awesome! And nay-sayers/foil hats posting in 3...2...1...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
this plus haptic feedback displays will make things really interesting in the years to come

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Awesome technology, using the keyboard on my smartphone just doesn't feel right, you always miss keys when trying to type fast.
It should be here in the not-to-distance future. I cant wait!!!

Heres a vid of the demo at CES

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Um...How far would these buttons stick out? How soft would they feel? Could they feel like fingers or other parts of the body, allowing people to virtually touch one another? If you touch someone, even virtually, it helps you connect... In many ways. It could be as innocent as making virtual pets you can feel or stroking someone's cheek. It could be be more racy than that. Maybe in the future your computer could perform a nice massage or even hold items. What if someone virtually killed someone with this, like virtually strangled someone. I don't see how someone couldn't just flee but maybe it could happen.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
hii,
its good thing..
bcz sometimes touch pad or touch screen is so frusteting and if we want to type fastl then i also prefer keys..
and touch screen is so risky sometimes we don't wanna delete is accidently deleted by us.

new topics

top topics

join