Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Supermarkets and Global brands masquerading as small independent traders

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Big brands and Supermarkets are starting 'new' businesses that are pretending to be small independent shops, such as Harris and Hoole coffee shops. Would we still go there if it was called Tesco coffee shop? I doubt it would capture the same niche or the desired clientele.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Tesco effect: How big firms quietly own little brands

"Large global brands realise there is a generic dislike of super brands, so they often like to appear smaller than they are to avoid negative publicity," says Stuart Roper, a corporate reputation expert at Manchester Business School. Ben and Jerry's ice cream (Unilever), Innocent Smoothies (Coca Cola), Green and Black's chocolate (Cadbury/Kraft) and Copella apple juice (Tropicana/Pepsi) are among the many formerly independent brands now owned by large corporations. But what seems to have irked anti-corporate coffee lovers about Harris and Hoole is that Tesco has not bought into an existing brand, but is instead attempting to build one from scratch. "Our main objection is that they are masquerading as a little, independent shop. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing," says Brian Hitcham, of Save Whitstable Shops. Hitcham has campaigned to stop a Harris and Hoole opening in his town.
edit on 9-1-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This does not surprise me.... I expect corporations to hide behind labels because they are about marketing and market share. I believe they think this is one way to fool the public and raise market share.

The markets are controlled by few companies and this helps them combat that image.....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is so frustrating! They know there is a backlash against big business and it's unhealthy standards...from marketing to unfair trade practices to ingredients...this is just more deception to try to capitalize on the sustainable, green, local, health conscious movement.
edit on 1/9/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wal-Mart is doing this also.

USA Today story

From the link:

NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart (WMT) is accelerating the expansion of small stores, particularly its Neighborhood Market stores, as it looks to compete with a variety of rivals from dollar stores to drug chains. "This gives us the opportunity to build more stores for less money," Bill Simon, president of Wal-Mart's U.S. division told Wall Street analysts gathered at a meeting near its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by occrest
Wal-Mart is doing this also.

USA Today story

From the link:

NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart (WMT) is accelerating the expansion of small stores, particularly its Neighborhood Market stores, as it looks to compete with a variety of rivals from dollar stores to drug chains. "This gives us the opportunity to build more stores for less money," Bill Simon, president of Wal-Mart's U.S. division told Wall Street analysts gathered at a meeting near its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark.

Tesco has done exactly this in the UK, there are Tesco Express in almost every town, at least they still called it Tesco instead of pretending it was a small trader.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
This is so frustrating! They know there is a backlash against big business and it's unhealthy standards...from marketing to unfair trade practices to ingredients...this is just more deception to try to capitalize on the sustainable, green, health conscious movement.

As if they aren't influencing people's lives enough or making enough of a profit, now they are squeezing out the little guys that bother trying after their total wipeout of high streets and being able to buy essentials locally without travelling to some vast retail space miles away.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Wal- mart isnt being subtle at all.

article
edit on 9-1-2013 by occrest because: add link for article where picture is.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So a big company buys out a smaller company, thus enriching said founders of the smaller company, and they keep the brand intact because that's part of what they paid for. I just discovered that Magnolia Hi-Fi, an originally upscale store started on Magnolia Hill in Seattle, and now a national brand, was bought out by Best Buy.

When I visit Magnolia today I still get the same high-quality service I did thirty years ago when they were only on Magnolia Hill. You can't get the same kind of service at Best Buy, so in this case, at least, they maintained the quality "Magnolia Hi Fi" had built up in the communities they served.

So while people complain about corporate greed it's the former owners of Magnolia who are retired early and living in their waterfront homes while Best Buy keeps humping along trying to recoup their investment of millions of dollars in Magnolia's "good will."

Another huge conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
So a big company buys out a smaller company, thus enriching said founders of the smaller company, and they keep the brand intact because that's part of what they paid for. I just discovered that Magnolia Hi-Fi, an originally upscale store started on Magnolia Hill in Seattle, and now a national brand, was bought out by Best Buy.

When I visit Magnolia today I still get the same high-quality service I did thirty years ago when they were only on Magnolia Hill. You can't get the same kind of service at Best Buy, so in this case, at least, they maintained the quality "Magnolia Hi Fi" had built up in the communities they served.

So while people complain about corporate greed it's the former owners of Magnolia who are retired early and living in their waterfront homes while Best Buy keeps humping along trying to recoup their investment of millions of dollars in Magnolia's "good will."

Another huge conspiracy.

The thread is more about creating a false image, where Tesco started a company that looks like a small independent coffee shop but is actually a major supermarket here in the UK that has overtaken in most towns with both large retail spaces and local Express shops, forcing local traders and high streets to close.

The link also mentions other companies that started small and their USP was that they were pure, family owned businesses with ethics and since being bought by Global brands are still trading under the same guise.

A lot of people aren't impressed at large scale global brand and supermarkets because of their lack of ethics and deliberately seek local and small scale ethical enterprise as a means of supporting their communities, it is conscious consumerism and is everybody's right. People have felt duped when they believed they were buying with a conscience only to find that it was really a Global brand they wouldn't normally support in such a way.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
So does this mean they quietly take out the other local coffee shops (or whatever shops) that are independently owned because they can use their mega buying power to make the prices less than the others? Or do they just make more profit as they dupe their customers with higher prices because people think they are independent and don't expect it to be particularly cheap?
Also, will this mean they can funnel the income from these smaller shops and incorporate them in the overall umbrella of the main chain stores and get away with paying taxes for them as we have seen with various big companies of late?

They really are sneaky *beeeeps!

new topics

top topics

join