It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: ATS Interviews Its American Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ter-ror-ism - The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

September 11, 2001 affected not only the United States but the entire globe. With the upcoming 2004 elections terrorism is on the minds and tongues of people all across the world. Threat levels have been raised in some parts of the United States as well as other countries. Right now, New York, New Jersey, and Washington D.C. are on Code Orange (High Risk of Terrorist Attacks), while the rest of the country remains on Code Yellow (Significant Risk of Terrorist Attacks). We here at AboveTopSecret.com have decided not to interview high priority key people, but to interview those among us.
The same questions were asked of international members in this story.

I would like to thank everyone who volunteered for this interview. Below are a few answer from those we interviewed that I, personally thought were particularly enlightening:

Question:
Would you be willing to accept less freedom to avoid terrorist attacks?

curme: No. I don't mind being inconvenienced, but if we lose our freedoms, the terrorists win. If we lose our freedoms, there is no way to say that was the reason we weren't attacked. I think some could use the "terrorist" label against people who are not terrorists, but just have a dissenting point of view.

Question:
Do you think it is inevitable that the US will become targets for terrorist attacks by Al-Qaeda or Taliban in the future?

FredT: Yes. The FBI's ability to track terrorist has me concerned. We seem to run the risk of being victims of sleeper cells. However, I think US interests overseas are more likely than targets in the CONUS.

Question:
Do you think border control problems in Canada and Mexico are allowing terrorists to enter the United States? What can we do to keep terrorists from enter the US through these borders?

Amorymeltzer: Maybe. I don�t think Mexico and Canada are our highest priority, but they are weak points of entry. If we can use Canada to circumvent US traveling laws, then terrorist can do the reverse just as easy. We need to secure our borders. 500,000 mexicans a year is unacceptable. We need to make our borders perfect. Document immigrants fully, visitors as well. NO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ALLOWED! That�s why they�re called �illegal.�

Question:
Do you feel that Osama Bin Laden is still a threat to the United States?

TrickmastertricK: Yes. Just by his name. Is he dead? Is he alive? Is he in Pakistan? Is he in Syria? Not putting an answer to any of these; will keep his name alive, and will continue to draw praise from his followers. Even if an answer is given, Zarqawi is already going to take that place. The Government and Press have built him up to be a God, and will easily have more and more followers.

Question:
Do you feel the relationship between Israel and the US is the cause for dislike between the US and it�s enemies?

pheak_of_nature: I don't know if it's the cause, but it sure doesn't help. Even so, I don't think that we can break our relations with the Israelis. At this point they are the only democracy in a troubled region, and democracies need to be encouraged.

Question:
You live in a large city. Do you feel as though you are more vulnerable where you live than someone living in a small town? Why?

You live in a small town, do you feel as vulnerable where you live as you would if you lived in a large city (i.e. � NYC)

elevatedone
I live in Toledo OH. A smaller to medium size city in my opinion. I don't feel more vulnerable because of the size of the city. I feel that there are "better" targets that the terrorist would go after than Toledo. However, I do sometimes wonder about a nearby nuclear power plant - Davis Bessy. It's about 30 minutes from Toledo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below I have the complete interviews with each volunteer. Please refer to this original post for the questions so we can take up less space.

Question 1:
You live in a large city. Do you feel as though you are more vulnerable where you live than someone living in a small town? Why?

You live in a small town, do you feel as vulnerable where you live as you would if you lived in a large city (i.e. � NYC)

Question 2:
Do you think it is inevitable that the US will become targets for terrorist attacks by Al-Qaeda or Taliban in the future?

Question 3:
If yes, what do you think is the best way to avoid such attacks?

Question 4:

Question 5:
Do you think border control problems in Canada and Mexico are allowing terrorists to enter the United States? What can we do to keep terrorists from enter the US through these borders?

Question 6:
Do you think the US policies and actions in the world were what caused the attacks on 9/11? In your opinion, do you think the actions of the US will cause they attacks to continue?

Question 7:

Question 8:
Do you feel the relationship between Israel and the US is the cause for dislike between the US and it�s enemies?

Question 9:
Do you feel that US military action to destroy terrorist groups is successful?

Question 10:
Do you feel that the US is doing enough to protect its citizens from future terrorists attacks? What could they do differently?

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
curme � NYC/Florida

Answer to Question 1:
I've lived in both and small towns since 9/11. From NYC, Seoul, Korea, to small towns like New Port Richey in Florida. I don't feel more vulnerable at all. It's not a threat I think about at all. It's like being involved in a fatal car crash. I know it's a possibility, but I really don't think about it.

Answer to Question 2:
Yes. It doesn't matter if it's Bush or Kerry, or even after them, eventually, the terrorists will be successful again. Maybe not as big as 9/11, or maybe bigger, but eventually it will happen again.

Answer to Question 3:
The usual stuff. Good intelligence. Watching our borders, immigration, etc. I think we need to change the way the world views us, a more positive view. This will cut down on attacks, and also enable us to have allies to help us out.

Answer to Question 4:
No. I don't mind being inconvenienced, but if we lose our freedoms, the terrorists win. If we lose our freedoms, there is no way to say that was the reason we weren't attacked. I think some could use the "terrorist" label against people who are not terrorists, but just have a dissenting point of view.

Answer to Question 5:
I don't see it as a problem. It could develop into a problem, but I think it has been over-hyped to prey on people's xenophobic fears. We need to do a better job on both borders, but I don't believe that Al-Qaeda is flowing through.

Answer to Question 6:
It's a fact, US policies and actions were the reason we were attacked. Bin Laden was upset over US forces in Saudi Arabia. Of course, he wasn't justified in anyone's view. Currently though, US policies and actions are causing such animosity that many see attacks on the US as justified. We are currently creating more terrorists, creating a world in which we are the oppressors. We have such a blatant disregard for other people, that it is embarrassing to be an American now. We look like idiots and we have lost our standing in the world. I believe the US will no longer be number one in the world, and the downfall began when Bush became President. Nothing is worse than living in a country that USED to be great. You know that feeling that we were the best, that feeling our children won't know.

Answer to Question 7:
Yes. To what degree, I don't know. You can't trust the government to tell you the truth. I'm more concerned about Al-Qaeda in general, instead of one Taliban leader.

Answer to Question 8:
Yes, and maybe in some cases the dislike is justified. There are no good guys in the Israel and Palestine conflict. Both do harm, both murder, and both do good and have noble ambitions. I think the US needs to address that fact, on both sides.

Answer to Question 9::
I haven't seen it successful yet. The Taliban is regaining control in Afghanistan, Iraq is a failure, creating more terrorists than capturing. I believe that the US military can be successful, if used wisely. For example, finishing the job and securing Afghanistan, instead of diluting the manpower in Iraq, and not having any plan once Saddam is gone.

Answer to Question 10:
Of course the US can always do more, but I believe that we are on the right track, domestically. We just have to be careful that we don't lose our liberty when we are trying to protect it.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
TrickmastertricK � Philadelphia

Answer to Question 1:
I lived in Philly for two years of my life. I grew up in the Burbs, King of Prussia, but do to the nature of my business at the time; I was in Philly or NYC almost every other day. I think that living in a major city tends to be more obvious and well known for a place to attack. The casualty rate would be higher, and considering most News organizations are in the city itself, it would lead to more coverage outright. A major city would seem to be harder to infiltrate, so to speak. More monies is allocated towards larger cities for defense, so security would be a lot higher than say Pheonixville, PA , the town were I now reside. The problem I face is that Limerick Nuclear Power Plant is almost in my backyard, The King of Prussia Mall is 5 minutes away (this used to be the largest mall in the US at one point), and Philly is about 25 minutes away. So I am smack dab in the middle of potential targets, which could lead to mass casualties, depending on method. I would think that anywhere could be a target, but smaller cities would seem easier to attack, thus inflicting casualties, chaos and fear.

Answer to Question 2:
This question is hard to answer for me. Reason being is that I feel for a country that claims to have had no evidence, or proof that Al-Qaeda was going to attack the US, sure did come up with all the hi-jackers information, pictures and who was responsible really quick. I believe that our occupation of Iraq will lead to certain circumstances regarding the US and its interests. I believe this created more of an outrage not only in Muslim communities, but throughout the rest of the world. This will have a huge outcome in the Future, especially if Bush is re-elected. I believe he opened up the door for the US to be attacked, not only by Radical Muslims. There seems to be a sense of distress within the US itself. Whether or not Al-Qaeda or the Taliban is behind it, the same sentiment will probably carry over. Just look at the Okalahoma bombing. In one way or another we will be attacked, even financially.

Answer to Question 3:
In reality, we only had Two Terrorist attacks in the US that were from overseas, the first Trade Center Bombing and 9-11. I feel the only way to curb the animosity, is through Diplomacy, and not by jamming Democracy down ones throat. We �Brought� the War on Terror to Iraq. Saddam was pretty quiet since the Gulf War and had not threatened anyone in the years between. Remember that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been �linked� to Al-Qaeda; he never came out and said that he was involved with them. He has said he shares the same vision of Osama, but has not met him. This uprising was not going on in Iraq before we invaded; in fact it was pretty quiet. If we had stayed the course in Afghanistan and not redirected it towards Iraq, I feel that the international community as a whole would have a better view of the US than they do now. Haven spoken to many Muslims in my community, they feel that it was proper to go into Afghanistan and Capture or Kill those that were responsible. They do not feel it was warranted to go off the course and invade Iraq, especially in hindsight. If the process is continued the way it is going right now, we will never be able to avoid an attack, especially from within

Answer to Question 4:
NO! There is no reason that my rights, or anyone else�s should be taken away because somebody either turned a blind-eye to, or just merely fumbled intelligence. Had the memo from Phoenix, AZ actually been followed up on, and Dick Clarke�s suggestions paid attention to, the list goes on, we probably would not be in this situation. My rights should not have to be played with because someone screwed up.

Answer to Question 5:
Yes. If 9-11 was planned as they say, in the �90�s, then God only knows who and what is in the country. There are still major Boarder and Security problems in the US, even after attempts to put new measures in place, after 9-11. Some crazy percentage, like 10%, of cargo is thoroughly checked. What about the other 90%? People are still able to bring firearms, knives, and even Bomb material on airliners. Cargo shipped on domestic flights is not properly checked. Not only do we need to know what is coming into the country, we need to know what is in here already. The knowledge of this may never be known. For all you know I could have come over the boarder, and am just sitting and waiting, living a normal life. I assure you I am not, but that�s the Reality of it. You do not know who is capable of bringing destruction to the US. I do not think there is a way to stop it entirely, but you can make it very difficult to achieve. Not only do we need to step up everything in the US, but we need to get the rest of the world involved in Security measures at their ports and airports. We need to give other countries an incentive to watch out for us as we would for them. To a degree some have, but there have been some serious lapses around the world, which could have made it to the US, and say not blown up in Russia. Incentives should be given to Aliens coming into the US for hopes of a better life. If we make it easier for people to enter the US, secure citizenship, jobs and the like, more attention can be paid to those trying to enter Illegally. Again, what I said before, you just never know.

Answer to Question 6:
I had touched on this already, but I am still not 110% sure of who was responsible for the attack. To me it�s just unfathomable to think that OBL and Al-Qaeda did this alone with out inside help. How do you really break down US security that easily? Conspiracy theories aside, I just can�t seem to comprehend it. I think the policies after 9-11 are having a Huge Effect on any impending actions. From the US withdrawing from the World Court, and after the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, the Geneva Conventions are pretty much out the window. We told the UN and other countries to basically go screw themselves. For What? Over a thousand Troops are dead and counting. Not to mention innocent civilians losing their lives at the hands of both sides. Yet we have some serious problems with Syria, North Korea, and Iran. Much more than Saddam was giving us. Yet we did not attack them, yet. I strongly feel that the Bush Administrations policies are and will cripple the US in more than one way. Regardless of who is President, policy needs to change. Having Kerry in office will give a new start to an already dwindling process. Time will only tell if he is given the chance. If Bush is re-elected, he needs to do some serious shaking up in his admin. They failed him, as well as the country and the world. I do not fully place blame on Bush, but he did put these people in place, and needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility for it.

Answer to Question 7:
Yes. Just by his name. Is he dead? Is he alive? Is he in Pakistan? Is he in Syria? Not putting an answer to any of these; will keep his name alive, and will continue to draw praise from his followers. Even if an answer is given, Zarqawi is already going to take that place. The Government and Press have built him up to be a God, and will easily have more and more followers.

Answer to Question 8:
Yes, without a doubt. Not only Policy wise, but more because of religion. Most in the Middle East see Israel as the Devil Himself; the US is also associated with them. But you have to define enemies. If it is the Islamic world then yes. I believe the US has used its Veto power in the UN for everything that has been brought up in regards to actions against Israel, which may not be liked by other countries. It is only going to get worse, depending on how problems with Iran are handled. Mark my words; if this is handled incorrectly such as Iraq, Nuclear Global War is only a matter of time. I believe that �Radicals� know this and will do anything to try to make this happen. I also believe they will try to pin the entire world against each other, they seem to be trying to do this now, IMHO

Answer to Question 9:
NO. It goes both ways. You can look at it as a success for wiping out training grounds, people and leaders, but guess what, more training grounds open up, more people join the cause, and leaders are made. Should they just be able to get away with it? NO. It needs to be dealt with. In the eyes of these groups we are attacking their religion, and their cause. I do not know how we would be able to make them realize what is actually going on while attacking them. The International Muslim Community needs to step up and get more involved with conveying the message. They need to step up in more of a force to condemn the actions they are taking and using Religion to hide behind.

Answer to Question 10:
Absolutely Not!

To the best of my recollection American Airlines Flight 11, United Airlines Flight 175, American Airlines Flight 77, American Airlines Flight 93, and a Bomb laden truck did not originate outside of the United States. We need to spend the Money and Man Power in the US first and foremost. It has been proven that the US is susceptible to another attack, everything is not being done. I believe only a new Administration will do things differently, because from the looks of it George W Bush is not doing a good job of it.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Amorymeltzer � NYC

Answer to Question 1:
I obviously feel more vulnerable here, for the simple reason that I am more likely to be attacked. Simple probability. I go to school at the WTC site, the world financial center is right here, city hall is right nearby, and the empire state building is further uptown. Lady Liberty is right out my classroom windows. That being said, I don�t feel vulnerable. I think, I KNOW, that it�s more likely I�ll be attacked again, but I don�t think I will be. Increased security, yes, I see them everywhere, but I do have general faith in the fact that, whatever holes we may still have in our protocols, a huge coordinated attack like 9/11 will not pass through. I am still wary, however, and while I remain completely calm and at ease, my guard is not �let down.�

Answer to Question 2:
Yes. Why? Because we are their target, right now. One of many, but one, yes, and a big one at that. Whether they succeed or not, different story, but we are definitely a target.

Answer to Question 3:
CONSTANT VIGILANCE! Seriously, though, to just be aware. Be smart. Increase security budgets, but do it intelligently. Create new positions, new laws, new suspect lists, but do it intelligently. That�s all we really need.

Answer to Question 4:
Yes. I�ve yet to, but yes, I would. Not an indefinite amount, though, it needs to be clear what is being done.

Answer to Question 5:
Maybe. I don�t think Mexico and Canada are our highest priority, but they are weak points of entry. If we can use Canada to circumvent US traveling laws, then terrorist can do the reverse just as easy. We need to secure our borders. 500,000 mexicans a year is unacceptable. We need to make our borders perfect. Document immigrants fully, visitors as well. NO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ALLOWED! That�s why they�re called �illegal.�

Answer to Question 6:
Hard sayin� not knowin�, I wasn�t the one who coordinated the attacks. I am sure that our actions were a factor, and will continue to be. I am likewise sure that our actions were justified.

Answer to Question 7:
Yup. Less of one than 9/11, but yes, definitely.

Answer to Question 8:
Yes, I assume so. Friend of my enemy is my enemy. Especially if that friend supplies my enemy with weapons and aid.

Answer to Question 9:
Yes. Not nearly as successful as it needs to be.

Answer to Question 10:
Yeah... The 9/11 report�s suggestions should be implemented (I actually read it all) as well just a tightening of the entire system. This goes back to what I said earlier about being smarter, more intelligent, we just need to actually think about what we�re doing rather than just doing it. We�re not doing that right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
FredT � Palo Alto, California

Answer to Question 1:
Yes, simply because I am between 2 large cities. San Fran and San Jose. Not to mention, there are alot of smaller targets in the SIlicon Valley of which Palo Alto is the gateway. If a bio or dirty bomb were exploded in one, the effects could hit us here.

Answer to Question 2:
Yes. The FBI's ability to track terrorist has me concerned. We seem to run the risk of being victems of sleeper cells. However, I think US interests overseas are more likely than targets in the CONUS.

Answer to Question 3:
Pre emption, A more global approach to fighting terror.

Answer to Question 4:
No. I feel that personal freedoms have been reduced as much as I care for already.

Answer to Question 5:
Yes, especially through Mexico. We need to build a separation wall along the US. Border to make it easier to seal it off. However, we can couple that with easier immigration from Mexico to the US.

Answer to Question 6:
Yes and No I think the US. Blanket approval for Israel, even when they are wrong, has causedalot of problems, and historically US intervention in the ME has been poorly planned and implemented. Current US actions will cause a temporary rise, then a decline as the terrorist are hunted down.

Answer to Question 7:
Maybe not the man himself, but his ideals and legacy are.

Answer to Question 8:
Yes among other factors

Answer to Question 9:
Its not finished, so I am unable to answer that one

Answer to Question 10:
Yes, but lacking specific data on what is being done covertly its hard to say what they could be doing differently. I am concerned by the security of our ports.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Phreak_of_nature � Roswell, NM

Answer to Question 1:
I live in a small city, about 10,000 people. The 2 main industries here are oil & gas. The most prominent feature of our skyline is an oil derrick that is a part of a very large refinery. This refinery is a part of our downtown area. In my particular location and situation, I do feel vulnerable. Everything that you would need for a large explosion is located within a 1 mile area, that is surrounded by half the population. What I have seen of the added security measures to protect it are little at best.

Answer to Question 2:
I think it is inevitable that we will be attacked again, and on our own soil again. The real question is will it be on a scale that equals or surpasses 9-11. Of that I am not as certain. I kind of feel like perhaps there will be more smaller scale attacks.

Answer to Question 3:
All of us, all of us must remain vigilent. When I say vigilent I don't mean hair trigger ready to call the FBI when someone looks at you funny, but watch for things that aren't normal, people and things in places they don't belong. I don't think we should expect the government to do it all for us.

Answer to Question 4:
No. Smart security does not have to limited and reduce freedom. I want smarter security not more intrusive government measures.

Answer to Question 5:
I feel the borders should be secured. Note the word secured. Not sealed, secured. And I believe it is possible to do so through a combination of physical and personal measures. I am near the Mexico border and it is not uncommon to see illegal immigrants here. While I personally have not seen any of the Arabs that have been reported crossing the Arizona border, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this has been an open area that has been taken advantage of.

Answer to Question 6:
I don't think the pre 9-11 policies were the impetuous for the 9-11 attacks. Prior to Bush taking office Clinton did quite a bit to try and solve the problems in the Middle East. The US was not ignoring the problem, and they appeared in my eyes to be treating both sides equally. So no, I don't think US policies were the reason for the attacks. Do I think the US policy today will cause attacks to continue, yes, yes I do. We, rather our president, do seem to have a personality and foreign policy that instigates the ire of Islamic fundamentalists. His overt Christianity does not help either. It only makes it easier for jihadists to rationalize their jihad on the west.

Answer to Question 7:
Alive or dead, bin Laden is still a threat. If not operationally the inspirationally. Whether he is alive and kicking and actively planning future attacks or just the inspiration for others to attack in his name, the man is a threat.

Answer to Question 8:
I don't know if it's the cause, but it sure doesn't help. Even so, I don't think that we can break our relations with the Israelis. At this point they are the only democracy in a troubled region, and democracies need to be encouraged.

Answer to Question 9:
It will be. At this point the job isn't really done, but when it is done it will not be a military solution alone. To win the war on terror, you need to win the hearts and minds. And if you'll allow me to be crude the way to win their hearts is to free their asses. By that I mean that you need to rid them of the oppression that keeps them down trodden, illiterate, and poor.

Answer to Question 10:
I think that they are trying to do everything they can, but I don't think they are really hitting the mark. It's is an all too common theme with politicians that they are always trying to prevent the last attack. If there is another attack I don't think it will be anything like the last attack. What could they do differently, well, protect the borders for one, check every single shipping container, for another, and do a lot better job of background checking foreign nationals. Once their here, they need to be monitored better as well. Someone who shows up on a student visa, needs to be actively enrolled in a school, and actually attending classes, not wandering the country video taping subways and sky scrappers.

Thanks for allowing me to take part in this, while they are only my opinions, and you�re free to take or leave of them what you will, I enjoyed the chance to make people think.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Elevatedone � Toledo, Ohio

Answer to Question 1:
I live in Toledo OH. A smaller to medium size city in my opinion. I don't feel more vulnerable because of the size of the city. I feel that there are "better" targets that the terrorist would go after than Toledo. However, I do sometimes wonder about a nearby nuclear power plant - Davis Bessy. It's about 30 minutes from Toledo.

Answer to Question 2:
Yes. However not on American Soil. I don't think another attack will be pulled off in the U.S. I feel that any future attacks will be on U.S. interests abroad, like the attack on the USS Cole, etc.

Answer to Question 3:
Awareness! Airport security around the world, not just in the United States. Our leaders and military should not take anything for granted, pay attention to all the intellegence reports, all the time.

Answer to Question 4:
Yes, somewhat. I'm okay with the idea of National I.D. Cards. I have nothing to hide, so if they want to listen to my phone calls, check my computer and internet useage, that's okay with me.

Answer to Question 5:
Yes, from Mexico, probably not Canada so much. It's easy to just say close the borders, but I don't think that's the answer. I'd like to see a military presence at the border, not to kill, but I feel that a presence might help. More border patrol agents, use technology to it's highest levels to keep people, all people from crossing the borders into the U.S. For the people who are caught, take them back immediately.

Answer to Question 6:
Yes. Yes, more attacks against our troops in Iraq.

Answer to Question 7:
Yes, if he's alive he's a threat.

Answer to Question 8:
No.

Answer to Question 9:
Not completely, I think there is still a lot of work to be done. I think the job in Afghanistan is done, in Iraq, we have a long way to go. I think we're going to have to get a lot tougher. I don't think the war on Terror will ever be "won", by anyone.

Answer to Question 10:
Yes, pretty much, as I said earlier, better airport security. Also our seaports, I think there is a lot of work to be done there, we need to be tougher about what comes into this country through our seaports.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Preface: First off I have to say I am not at all sure that many of the major so-called terrorist events in this nation are not government faction orchestrated.
Many of the Oklahoma City events point to an inside job. Many of the details of the first (93) WTC bombing point to an inside job. It may not be clear with 911, but I would not be suprised at all if it was orchestrated by factions within our government, or possibly the israelis. I mean get real, 3 novice pilots who had never handled a jumbo jet flying like aces? Please!
Second point, what are the odds of being injured or killed in a terrorist attack?
miniscule compared to things that you can take actions against. You may get hit by lightening, but it is pretty unlikely. [stay off hills and from under trees in a thunderstorm].

1. A large city. More vulnerable, because most of these attacks are done for the most dramatic effect. More deaths, more gruesome equals more horrifyingly dramatic.

2. I didn't feel vulnerable at all after 911. It seemed very far away. The supposed method of attack would be very difficult to do again because all the passengers on an airliner are going to fight a terrorist like their lives depend on it.
But since GW Bush has kicked over the hornets nest of Iraq, It has increased the possibility of a terrorist attack here somewhat. Especially when combined with Abu Grabe.
Of course there will be unhappy people who will use violence, even suicidal, to express their rage/unhappiness. Mc Nichols [provided you believe he actually did it] was a white American Male. you certainly don't need Al-qaeda to have terrorists.

3. You could try to stay out of high profile places. Better yet you could get a non-corrupt government in Washington who wouldn't use fear to goad a naive and gulible public into doing as it pleased.
Also an intelligent, sensible approach to international relations that minimized unnecessary frictions with the world. [Bush and his followers are complete idiots in this regard].

4. No, absolutely not. You lose your freedoms for what someone else has done? That has the terrorists in and out of the government winning. Life is innately risky. Terrorism at this point is miniscule compared to heart disease, non-defensive driving, toxic habits [tobacco, alcohol]. People are ridiculously hysterical about terrorism. What happened to people's good sense and realistic perspectives on things?

5. Terrorists, probably not a lot, the border with Mexico is a problem for other reasons. It needs to be properly patrolled. The government should quit pandering to companies that unknowingly *wink* *wink* hire illegals. Those companies are aparty to a crime, and should be treated criminally.

6. It depends, If our own government did it, obviously not. We should be sensitive to world flash points, but have to weigh that as only part of the balance of the actions we take. The readiness of the American public to believe immediately whatever the government and big media tells them is the biggest problem. Our actions in Iraq, and because we have not diligently rounded up loose nuclear materials around the world does worry me. This is a HUGE failure of the Bush administration's supposed war on terror. Creating Hatred of America for no reason, and leaving materials around for those who may hate us to use against us.

7. Honestly I think GW Bush is a far bigger threat to the US. Incompetance, bizarre religious views, corrupt politics could be the actual downfall of this nation.

8. Duh. Yes this is a sore spot with middle east muslims and by default all muslims around the world. If you could get good secular leadership in both Israel and Palestine it might be possble to have some kind of workable solution. Whether the rest of the muslim world would let go of it or not I am not sure, but I do think it would take much of the edge off of it.

9. Afghanistan, yes. Iraq, no. In Iraq we took a stable [if rotten] country and turned it into a complete mess. Now we still don't have the troops on the ground to control it, and it is getting worse. Many of the Iraqis we train tell reporters openly that they would be ready, willing and happy to take up arms against the US invasion/occupation. We have kicked over a hornets nest without having the intelligence to throw a net over it first. It is just crazy. And because Bush won't To this day acknowlege it is a problem, he doesn't devote the attention to it that it needs. It may already be a lost cause.

10. The US has done Too Much. We have gotten stung by a hornet and are now, like a madman, firing our gun in every direction, shooting everyone in sight. You need to apply forces exactly where they need to go. You don't go places that don't warrant it.
They whitehouse crew talks about precision hits, They have no clue that the precision needs to be in where and why you target someone/something and how to deal with the aftermath. The whitehouse is full of Clowns.
And all this at an economic cost of 120 + 75 Billion dollars and no end in sight.
Worse yet is the deaths of 20,000 Iraqis and 1000 Americans so far . . .,

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Question 1:

A: Large cities have landmarks, dense populations, and name recognition. Those are three factors that make large cities vulnerable to terrorism. However, with the school slayings in Ossetia you have another factor: the idea that terror can reach you no matter how obscure your location. Overall, I feel much safer in small towns than large cities.

Question 2:

A: No, it's not inevitable.

Question 3:
If yes, what do you think is the best way to avoid such attacks?

A: The best way to avoid terrorism from Arab countries is to leave Arabia for Arabs and cease funding and military support for Israel until she changes her policies regarding the Palestinians and the occupied territories.

I wasn't aware of Taliban-sponsored attacks against the US. Are we talking here, or abroad?

Question 4:

A: Never.

Question 5:

A: I don't think they are entering the US through these countries. The best way to keep terrorists from entering the US through these borders, is good communication and consistent policies regarding visas and immigration between the three countries.

Question 6:
Do you think the US policies and actions in the world were what caused the attacks on 9/11? In your opinion, do you think the actions of the US will cause they attacks to continue?

A: I believe the attacks of 9/11 were conducted with the participation of the US government, so, no, I don't feel that US policies and actions in the world caused them. I think they were done to enable US policies and actions in the world that could inspire future attacks.

Question 7:

A: No.

Question 8:

A: Yes.

Question 9:
Do you feel that US military action to destroy terrorist groups is successful?

A: I don't feel that the current strategy is destroying terrorism.

Question 10:
Do you feel that the US is doing enough to protect its citizens from future terrorists attacks? What could they do differently?

A: I don't feel that the US government is doing enough to protect its citizens from future terrorist attacks. One thing they could do to help protect people is get at least one trial going for the perpetrators of 9/11 instead of endlessly using it as a propaganda point.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
How many participated in the poll?

Is it possible to add the questions with the posts? I can't remember the questions as I read the next post. Then again, that could be a problem unique to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I chose 6 American members of ATS and 5 Non-American members for the interview. Alot of people volunteered, but I could only choose a few.

You can find the other thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Everyone can feel free to put there thoughts and opinion here if they would like or if you are a non-american member, you can use the other thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I just realized that I didn't answer my own questions... so here it goes:

1. I live in a very small town. I don't feel as vulnerable as those who live in larger cities. However, Fort Bragg, Pope AFB, and several other military bases are near where I live so I do feel a bit threatened.

2. I do think it is inevitable that we will be attacked again. I think it will happen quickly and I think it will be alot worse than 9/11.

3. I think the best way to avoid these attacks is by better security at the borders. Better airline security and better awareness of what is going on around us. I believe that citizens need to take more of an initiative and help in thier own communities by being educated and aware.

4. I would absolutely not be willing to accept less freedom. I quote Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"

5. I definately think our borders are big issues. They are not nearly as secure as they need to be. Mexico especially, however Canada has it's border issues as well.

6. Yes American policies around the world do affect whether we will be attacked or not. As of late is seems America wants to control the world, and in my opinion we have no business. American needs to worry about America instead of worrying about other countries, their policies and their religions.

7. I do not feel that Bin Laden is a personal threat. I believe his beliefs and convictions are a threat. His followers are a threat.

8. Yes, I believe the relationship with Israel and the US is a cause for concern with other countries.

9. No, I don't believe that the war on terror can be won. I believe that our men are fighting over there for something that can't be won. I support them 100% and thank them each and every day for their sacrifices.

10. No I don't believe that we are being protected the way we should be. Like I said, border control is a big problem. There isn't nearly enough security at the airports. I think the best way to secure our country is to keep its citizens informed. The more educated we are on threats to our country, the better prepared we can be.

new topics

top topics

join