It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Unleashes Super-massive Belch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Okay, I had a giggle at the title of the article, but its very interesting nonetheless.

From my favorite source,

While innocently surveying the Cosmos, astronomers serendipitously stumbled across a particularly uncouth galaxy. NGC 660 unleashed an epic belch, an event that we could see 44 million light-years distant. This event emanated from the galaxy's core, around the likely location of a supermassive black hole.
Discovery News:

I won't bore you with the technical aspects of how they discovered this, follow the link to read about the telescopes and the discovery process (its actually interesting to me).

Anyway, here's a possible explanation for what caused the Big Burp:

So why did the supermassive black hole in the galaxy's core belch? As we've learned from observations of the black hole behemoth in the center of the Milky Way, black holes consume anything that strays too close. Any dust, gas, planets, aliens or stars that fall into the black hole's gravitational well will be ripped apart and pulled into a violent accretion disk surrounding the black hole's event horizon. Through processes that aren't fully understood, some of this matter is accelerated and ejected from the black hole's poles at relativistic speeds, generating superheated streams of gas. In the case of NGC 660, its black hole is likely feeding, erupting huge streams of radio-emitting gas, but the pattern of ejected gas isn't a simple case of two hot spots blasting from two poles; there appears to be five hot spots.

Scientists will continue observing this for the next several years to try and understand the phenomenon better.

I just love this stuff! Burping Black Holes....I think I've found a new phrase. Maybe someone can make it into a meme?

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Our own milky way just let one go a while back....but only two jets (along the axis of the galaxie....)
looks like an axle sticking out top and bottom......
This may become a more common sight when telescopes get better and have run out of the atmosphere for longer.....five spots maybe a whole solar system went down the event horizon...?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Akin to a Relativistic jet.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Awesome find! S F

Just saying... up close, it looks like male genitalia.

Your welcome.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
hii,
gud search but i have read it before 10 12 yrs..
its big problem for earth and sceintist also have no solution of this problem till now...
if this black hole become bigger then our earth is in risk..
only solution in our hand is if polution becomes less and use of cars refrigrator we can avoid..

top topics

join