It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

There is plenty of meaningful music being made today. If you are too lazy to look beyond the radio or the Billboard 200 you won't find it and that's the way it's always been.

Threads like this just remind me of something I first learned when I was young: A lot of people no matter their age love to whine.
edit on 10-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by misse2miss

Generation X already screwed things up. They coddled their kids too much, they did not spank them when they should have. They bought them another X-Box game to act as a babysitter. We need an alien intervention i think.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by JimTSpock

There is plenty of meaningful music being made today. If you are too lazy to look beyond the radio or the Billboard 200 you won't find it and that's the way it's always been.

Threads like this just remind me of something I first learned when I was young: A lot of people no matter their age love to whine.
edit on 10-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

If someone don't like the music they hear, they should make it themselves.

Sometimes I wish there was a 'Delete' button for our own posts. -_-
edit on 1-10-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree, there is some good music. I like a bit of everything. I was in Houston a year or so ago and was walking through the parking lot as an SUV drove by, The windows were all down and the music was blaring louder than i thought possible. The only lyrics were " F%*# you, F&^# you. Just over and over. I don't think a large portion of our youth even listen to the words of their music. I think it does them harm subliminally though. I asked my kids about certain songs that had pretty nasty lyrics, they said they didn't realize it. They just liked the beat. An old saying comes to mind. Actually 2. "You are what you eat" and "You are the company you keep"

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Well, if they are angry people they listen to angry music. I listen to some music you would not approve of but, it's how I feel sometimes. I see no problem with people openly expressing emotions through music. We need more of that. If you don't like it well don't listen to it.

This whole thread is just dumping on people. Maybe instead of being negative all the time you should start trying to see the positive things people are doing in this world.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen

If someone don't like the music they hear, they should make it themselves.

Sometimes I wish there was a 'Delete' button for our own posts. -_-
edit on 1-10-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

True, when someone bashes my singing I always think "Well, come sing it your damn self then". So many people bash music without the faintest clue what effort goes into making it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I don't see it as dumping on people. Every generation makes mistakes. Not everyone in each generation is effected by those mistakes. The thread is about getting to solutions. Humans will be humans. We screw up. Just like an alcoholic must first admit he has a problem before he can begin to address it,so must we all.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

And what is the solution? To be more like you?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

No, I don't know what the solution is. That is the reason for the thread. Your input is most welcome.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
My sister-in-law suffers from this disorder. Any time she posts on anyone's Facebook page, it's always in the context of how it affects HER or how it reminds HER of something SHE did. Nauseating.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by antonia

No, I don't know what the solution is. That is the reason for the thread. Your input is most welcome.

Well, I don't think there is a problem. Every generation has whined about the generation coming after. Young people do stupid things, it's always been that way. Maybe instead of bashing them all the time give them some time to grow up and figure out who they are.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I feel your pain. My daughter is the same way. They can't see how pathetic and negative it makes them look.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

It may well be an anomaly of sorts but it would seem that the mass killings perpetrated of late are by our youth between 22-26 years old. Why would that age group not be targeted for assessment? It is nothing personal. There just seems to be a problem. Again, it is not every single person of that generation. It is mentally ill individuals of that age group that for some reason decide to commit these mass killings. To ignore the fact just to spare their feelings would be counterproductive to the solution.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

It may well be an anomaly of sorts but it would seem that the mass killings perpetrated of late are by our youth between 22-26 years old.

And so what? Those aren't the first school shootings or mass killings. It's not something unique to people in that age group. For a long time the worst mass shooting on record happened at the University of Texas in Austin over 40 years ago.
en.wikipedia.org...

I don't see you talking about what narcissists those in that generation are.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yes and the worst mass school killing was the Bath School disaster which left 38 school children and 6 adults dead as well as 58 injured, way back in 1927.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Wow, late on that one, as far as I'm concerned it started with my mother's generation that are the narcississtic A*holes, and they're just handing out the same to the children and granchildren (It seems the narcississm skips a generation sometimes)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yes, i covered that in an above post. Blame is not productive to the solution, we can't point fingers at one generation as the root cause.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

We do the same thing here. Isn't that the whole point. I mean your doing it right now saying how "you" have a sister-in-law that acts that way and that "you" feel that it is nauseating.

edit on 10-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh, so I see, this notion is being brought up "AGAIN" by NRA advocates who think stopping someone from buying more than two AR-15s a month is Big Brother.

Every new generation is deluded lazy narcissists according to the prior generation. In this generation it might be true.

But given the deluded narcissism, does it improve ANYTHING if we give them all guns?

Just asking.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

At least someone gets it. With all the talk of guns being to blame for societies issues at least one guy actually explores the true root cause. Dr. Keith Ablow. This is a pretty good article about why we are seeing mass murders and other symtoms. Here is a link and a small part of the article. Hopefully it makes it into the mainstream media.

www.foxnews.com...

A new analysis of the American Freshman Survey, which has accumulated data for the past 47 years from 9 million young adults, reveals that college students are more likely than ever to call themselves gifted and driven to succeed, even though their test scores and time spent studying are decreasing.

Psychologist Jean Twenge, the lead author of the analysis, is also the author of a study showing that the tendency toward narcissism in students is up 30 percent in the last thirty-odd years.
This data is not unexpected. I have been writing a great deal over the past few years about the toxic psychological impact of media and technology on children, adolescents and young adults, particularly as it regards turning them into faux celebrities—the equivalent of lead actors in their own fictionalized life stories

They said the same crap about my generation... I say they can stick it, we are doing fine, they will too.
edit on 10-1-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join