It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Facebook,twitter and youtube is really all the evidence you need to understand how narcissistic this society is but in their defense, the united states educational system is really piss poor in regard to what the children are actually learning so using test scores, and hours spent studying is a bad idea. Testing is problematic as it only tests by how you retain fragmented material instead of making tests that truly find the depth of the person's knowledge in a subject.

The American educational system is very fragmented with seven or six subjects in one day. Children should only be learning math and English from grade 1 to 8. When the kids get to high school, they will have the basic knowledge to understand the subject material. In the last four years before college allow them to take three different subjects per semester but English and math will still be their core subjects five subjects total.

However, If they want to learn other subjects offer them as after school classes. When these children get to college have them take a test to make sure they pass English and math classes which should be redundant by now. Have the colleges teach critical thinking, sociology and some of the more abstract ideas in the first year as for the last 3 years have them only focus on the core material of which field they are studying.
I really think this method will give the best results
edit on 10-1-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Bunch of old people blaming young people for even older people's screw-ups. Nice.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Today's youth:

Relaxing with good company and a cup of coffee...

Pleasantly chatting over a few cocktails...

Gathering together at a restaurant...

Enjoying a hot date with your girlfriend...

Sitting in wonderment of the beauty at a museum...

Taking in the great scenery from a convertible...

Having fun in the sun...

"I fear the day when technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Any more questions ?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
What exactly is the problem? They are multi-tasking socializing.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The research quoted in the article has been ongoing for 49 years. It infers a trend toward narcisistic tendencies. That does not mean everyone in those generations have been adversely effected. It appears that some are unable to cope with reality once thrown into a not so nice society. The effect on society is subtle, it is not the cause of mental health issues persay,but it more than likely contributes to the horrific acts we see today. Simple things like using a calculator in math class instead of pencil,paper and brain can stunt critical thinking. I don't think these generations are lost at all. I do think that the period between 20 to 30 years can be a major challenge for them and apparently society as a whole. They have generally been coddled too much. Sure it seems to be the right thing to do, but the laws of cause and effect apply to literally everything. Our children are no exception.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
We have plenty of respondents here on this thread, lets examine one thing that for 'Me' comes to mind. 'Video Games'
Typically they are constructed in the form of a competition, some interactive with other participants, others designed for solo competition. The graphics have grown to near real life quality where the games images almost appear real. Certainly this in itself is an achievement in the usefulness of graphics for many purposes. I recall several months ago the producers of these technologies touting the 'soon to be' ability to see around corners even.
While games have come light years in quality from the days of the 'pong' introduced in the 70's&80's, the real life graphics and content of the current games have left one thing out....... the ability to completely fail and ......if you loose in a battle...Die.
I'm not saying that I suggest any such conclusion to a game, what I am saying, is that there is no consequence for losing. You simply hit reset and play again. In the real world, losing is sometimes final, completely final, as in you die. War for instance, or corporate where you loose your career and income.
Thus there is the mindset in 'life' (interaction in society, with success and failure) that the game is representative of 'real life'. When clearly it isn't, and there are real and permanent and final conclusions to participation in 'Real Life'

With no concept of 'real failure' there is no knowledge of the necessities required to succeed in life. A game controller handset is not real life. Someone will not come to save and rescue you. So we have raised a generation, and continue to raise generations with this belief/concept, that are unprepared mentally or physically and are destined to fail in this real world they will compete in.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is something that is covered in a great documentary called "The Century of the Self". The author makes some good points on how modern systems are affecting narcissism, however western marketing and advertisements have utilized narcissistic hooks in coercing consumers to "want, want, want".

It's ironic to me that this has been posted on fox news, who has a slogan of "We report, YOU decide" - which is in itself a narcissistic hook. With the average person seeing thousands of advertisements every week, that is a larger problem in our societies narcissism, then current technologies, and has been ongoing since Sigmund Freud's nephew came up with the idea almost 100 years ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

I think you pretty much nailed it in as far as the big picture. The video game scenario is definitely a factor. It would seem that life is one big video game to some, though it is likely a conglomeration of factors, the one you present is a big part of it. It leaves us with nobody to blame in particular for the whole mess, which could be a good thing since there is nobody to deflect it to others. Now if only the media, etc would address the real root cause instead of the effects we could move toward a solution.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by misse2miss

As one of your fellow gen y'er thank you for defending us haha

Although, I do partially agree that many in generation y really do have an ego problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The focus of these studies is not just the present generation but applies to all under 40's... the X, Y, and Z generations, and thus, is not limited to merely the present crop of losers but generally encompasses their loser parents as well.

These trends are not secret and any decent Graduate Level Psychologist or Sociologist can explain what's happened as could anybody else that examines the history of this mess. It is clearly social manipulation of the most unhealthy sort.

It's well established that children's perceptions and emotional patterns are irrevocably formed in the first seven years of life and totally influenced by the closest person, the mother. In therapy the "mother" is always a constant and major focus of discussion.

One merely needs to realize that the crazy half-baked ideas and opinions so often seen in the under 40 social herds are exactly the same as those held by the pseudo rocket-scientists that failed to raise them and failed to educate them.

In every society the women are responsible for raising the children and look at the disasters they produced. No one else is responsible... the mothers and the women "educators" have created endless herds of mindless social lemmings much like themselves.

But poetic justice is on the horizon for a society which has marginalized fathers, and men in general, because the women that created this mess must now live in the world they created... and depend on their loser children for future support.

Just for fun count the number of little boys that were raised by man-hating women to be little girls and will never be men regardless of their age. They are everywhere. Open your eyes.

edit on 10-1-2013 by Brown Bear because: context and spelling

edit on 10-1-2013 by Brown Bear because: context and spelling as usual

edit on 10-1-2013 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

Very interesting take. I was talking to a man a few weeks ago that was having trouble with his adult kids. He was going on about how the problems were his wifes fault. He told her so as a matter of fact. It was a big problem in his marriage apparently. We talked about the need to read and he said he had to force one of his kids to read. Once she started reading she found that she enjoyed it. He said she was doing noticeably better and her attitude changed for the better. I find everything you say true, I am unsure about the entire mess being a result of poor parenting in the first 7 years. I think that was true in the past before technology went into overdrive. I think today we have other factors involved due to said technology/information overload.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by Brown Bear

Very interesting take. I was talking to a man a few weeks ago that was having trouble with his adult kids. He was going on about how the problems were his wifes fault. He told her so as a matter of fact. It was a big problem in his marriage apparently. We talked about the need to read and he said he had to force one of his kids to read. Once she started reading she found that she enjoyed it. He said she was doing noticeably better and her attitude changed for the better. I find everything you say true, I am unsure about the entire mess being a result of poor parenting in the first 7 years. I think that was true in the past before technology went into overdrive. I think today we have other factors involved due to said technology/information overload.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

Thank you.

Remember that everything that comes to the child passes through the mother from vaccines to vid games to attitudes and opinions. Listen to the things the kids say and ask yourself: "where have I heard those loser ideas before?"

Ever notice that the under 40's are unable to take responsibility for mistakes or actions? How many women share this fault?

Remember that it's not just the first 7 years of mommy but also 12 years of woman dominated education as well. Very few of their children will recover from the damage.

edit on 10-1-2013 by Brown Bear because: add context

edit on 10-1-2013 by Brown Bear because: a

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is an interesting idea and I have to say one which I've noticed. I'm a gen X and we are meant to be cynical.

I think the music of today sums it up. Back in the 90s we had great bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc which had something to say.
But most of today's music is all about look at me look how great I am and how rich I am and how many bitches and ho's I get.
Facebook is certainly a strange phenomenon, it seems like some young people are obsessed with it and trying to make themselves seem perfect.
Seems like the age of perfection where everybody is supposed to be perfect. It goes in cycles hopefully grunge will come back.
LOL OMG WTF.

Fight Club the movie has some fitting lines; "We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm a 30 year old boy".
edit on 10-1-2013 by JimTSpock because: add

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

I think music does have some role in it. I was lucky enough to have grown up during the Rock & Roll era. Great music with meaning. I have a daughter that posts her every thought on Facebook and i jump her all the time about it. Alas, you can't tell a 20 year old ANYTHING. They should lower the age requirements for POTUS and elect only 20 year olds. They do know everything afterall.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
www.disclose.tv...

Was this thread your OWN idea, or did you copy from somewhere else ??

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I just wanna add, i'm one of those deluded narcissists.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

You don't have to tell me i was going to school last year, I thought it was just my school. Guess not

edit on 10-1-2013 by shadow12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

This thread was my idea, i had not seen it anywhere, nor looked for it anywhere else. It just struck me as something worthy of discussion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

It is not intended to encompass every individual of any generation. I am sure most are doing just fine. The statistics are a bit alarming though.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I think instead of talking about gen y and z we should talk about GEN X seeing as you guys will be taking over things soon?

Your going to be the ones being watched and scrutinized lets see how you do.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join