It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childrens' Anti-Vaccination Book Condemned By Medical Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Not sure about this topic. I am no lover of vaccination,but this seem to just be the doctors feeling their income is threatened, so TPTB controlled mouthpiece (media), goes into bat for the medical profession agenda.

I even remember parents sending their children to other sick kids' home to catch diseases, like chicken-pox & measles to get them "over & done-with" early in life.

If this book was suppressed, it would have to fall into the "freedom of speech" argument.

Picture of bookcover at link

www.news.com.au... 0

Deadly disease a 'good thing' for kids, author claims

A BOOK promoting the "marvellous" health benefits of potentially fatal measles should be taken off the shelves, doctors say.
Melanie's Marvelous Measles is an anti-vaccination book aimed at children. It claims – despite evidence that measles can kill and cause brain damage – that it's a "good thing" to have.

The Australian Medical Association said the suggestion was wrong and misleading and that publishers "should be ashamed of themselves".

On the cover of the book ‘Melanie' is happily playing in the garden and showing off a rash on her belly. In the story, she is home with measles and her friend Tina is worried – but her mother reassures her.

"Firstly Tina, measles don't run and catch you or hurt you… for most children it is a good thing to get measles," she says.

"Many wise people believe measles make the body stronger and more mature for the future."

Tina then asks if she can go and catch measles from Melanie. "That sounds like a great idea," her mother responds, and suggests some carrot juice and melon might help Melanie recover.

AMA President Steve Hambleton said only the "crazies" thought that it would be better to get a disease than be vaccinated.

"They should be ashamed of themselves," he said.

"Last time I saw a kid with measles with the rash they were carried into the surgery and the child looked like a rag doll. The mother was terrified.

"It's still fatal. About one in 10,000 children will die because of encephalitis. Carrot juice won't save you."

Dr Hambleton said no child with measles would be able to play in the garden.

"Any publication that suggests getting the illness is safer than getting the vaccination is patently wrong and misleading and the publishers should be ashamed of themselves for the picture they've allowed to be put on the front cover," he said.

Measles is highly infectious, causing a rash, fever, and possibly death. The World Health Organisation says measles is "one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available".

There are about 140,000 deaths a year, mostly in poor countries. In Australia measles deaths are now rare because the disease has been controlled though widespread vaccination. When it does occur, the danger comes from complications such as pneumonia and encephalitis.

Dr Hambleton said while there were occasional adverse reactions to the vaccination, it was far more dangerous to actually experience the disease.

The book's author is Queensland-based natural health activist Stephanie Messenger who was self-published until recently. Her first edition sold out and now an American publisher is selling the book through online sites including Angus and Robertson and Bookworld (formerly Borders).

Angus and Robertson is part of Bookworld, which in turn is a division of Pearson Australia Group. Pearson referred news.com.au to United Book Distributors, who in turn passed inquiries on to Penguin, who have not yet responded.

Ms Messenger said she was just trying to give people more information about vaccination and disease through fiction aimed at children.

"Only people who are not in favour of a free press or free speech would (want it banned)," she said.

"Natural health says that measles is a good thing for a reasonably healthy child to have."

Ms Messenger believes vaccinations killed her young son and that doctors lied when they blamed a genetic disease. She claims that many mainstream doctors and scientists support her position but declined to pass on their names.

The Australian Academy of Science recently released a question and answer fact sheet on immunisation to combat the misinformation spread by the anti-vaccination lobby.

edit on 9-1-2013 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The link is working but each time I try to post it, the hyperlink keeps dropping a zero of the end of the link

When you open the link in new page, add a zero to the end of the URL, this will open the news page.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

This book is ridiculous, people are not going to vaccinate their kids and then their kids will die of horrible deaths which could have been prevented by a simple shot. I mean clearly vaccinations are beneficial since childhood mortality rates have dropped. Its careless for people not to vaccinate their kids.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Read up more on the dangers of vaccinations, my friend. Many links on this site.

Many pro/cons in the vaccinatio debates.

I know it still comes down to individual choice.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

So you're willing to expose your children to various viruses like Polio, Measles, Mumps, Small Pox ... [insert any other deadly virus here]..with no protection then?

Because that's what you are doing when you don't vaccinate them.

I understand people being weary of vaccinations... Things like flu shots are pointless to take if you are healthy, given the possible side affects. But the more important ones aren't really worth the risk to miss.

I used to be anti-vaccination until I actually did some research. Fear of the unknown and hearsay is what drives a lot of people.

edit on 9-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

If you do want to vaccinate, I say good for you.

But remember plenty of people do not trust vaccinations, so please respect their decisions too.

The article itself is just the medical industry feeling profits threatened, so they sing & dance about it. Trying to get any opposition quashed/suppressed.

Everyone has a right to choice & a right to hear both sides of the story, even when that someone is a kid, hence a story book that explains things to kids.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Thank you very much for sharing this information. I'm glad that there are people like you who care about the children. Hope you have a wonderful day!

new topics

top topics

join