It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Misunderestimated Cost of Nation Building, Wants Another $75 Billion, Says Pretty Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
President Bush, shown left demonstrating how many zero's are required in the blank check for nation building these days, plans to send Congress a request of up to $75 billion early next year to finance wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and operations against terrorism, congressional aides said Tuesday.

Bush wants another $75 billion to fund wars
CNN.com
Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A proposal of that magnitude would indicate the wars' costs, particularly to battle the intensified Iraqi insurgency, are far exceeding what the Bush administration said it was expecting early this year.

But don't bother looking for earlier White House estimates on the official White House public information website since any contradictory or unflattering historical documents are being systematically erased under Bush's reversal of the Presidential Records Act of 1978 with secret Executive Order #13233 (also not on website) designed to make all bloggers' links to historical archives worthess.

The Nixon, erm I mean Bush White House budget office spokesman, Chad Kolton, said administration officials were only starting to assess what is needed to pay for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

"There is literally no way to ascribe a final figure to what we will request," he said. Chad then added (or rather thought to himself), "Can I get back to you on November 3rd?"

"Incompetence has a cost," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said in a written statement.

"Conservative" estimates now place that cost somewhere around half the price tag of the entire Vietnam conflict, or the first war to end all wars adjusted for inflation.

The fresh request would be on top of $215 billion that lawmakers have provided since 2001 to wage war in Iraq and Afghanistan and begin rebuilding those countries, according to White House figures.

Taken together, a $290 billion total would be nearly half the $623 billion cost of the Vietnam War and the $613 billion in U.S. costs for World War I, using dollars adjusted for inflation.

May I just add, I hate this guy? I really, really do. This is why I no longer pay taxes or buy durable goods under Republican administrations.

They can have my support when they learn how to budget. Won't you join my protest?

[edit on 27-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
He signs 140+Billion dollar tax cut last week, and now he wants more money? I wonder who balances his checkbook, because he sure as hell dont!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's more of a matter that they don't care about national debt. The government is a huge cash cow. As long as they keep racking up the interest payments, someone's going to have a continual cash flow.

So just who benefits?

The US government sells securities to raise the monies to spend, to both domestic and foreign investors, as well as corporations, and other governments. U.S. securities issued include Treasury-bills (T-bills), notes and bonds as well as U.S. savings bonds.

40%, is owed to the Federal Reserve Bank and to other government accounts; that is, this part of the Debt is owed by one part of the government to another. The remaining 60% of the Debt, roughly $3.3 trillion, is privately held.

Nearly 23% to foreign and international banks and parties.

Who are they? I'd certainly like to know.

Actually, after a little searching I find:

The Treasury Department borrows money through the sale of Treasury Bills, Notes, Bonds, and United States Savings Bonds to the public. We have copies available of Table OFS-1--Distribution of Federal Securities by Class of Investors and Type of Issues and Table OFS-2--Estimated Ownership of Public Debt Securities by Private Investors. These tables can be found in the TREASURY BULLETIN, which gets published monthly by our Financial Management Service. You will be interested to know that a yearly subscription to this document is available from the Superintendent of Documents. You may place your order by calling 202-512-1800 or by writing to the Government Printing Office, Post Office Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954. This material may also be available in your local library or in a depository library.

Maybe I'll look through it when I have some time here at work.

www.treas.gov...

Some links:

www.brillig.com...

www.fms.treas.gov...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Or did CNN pull the story since YESTERDAY?

This was a leaked piece revealing Bush's post Nov 3rd plans claimed to be from the inside?

Now it's gone. Pictures gone. Story gone.

Tell me it's me. Can anyone still find this story out there?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

I found the
Reuters and AP version.

Did CNN change the story to THIS?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by RANT

I found the
Reuters and AP version.

Did CNN change the story to THIS?

Ah, thank you kind Sir!
My tin foil hat was on too tight.

Unusual they changed the whole link, but the new version does say OFFICAL and adjusts requested amount to $70 Billion so maybe that's why.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Are you sure that's not in addition the the $75 billion Bush wants?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just ridiculous. It's great how the papers are under total control of republican advocates just as the United Russia party controls their papers -there is no difference.

Reminds me of how the tire contracts in Iraq were all purchased by Cheney subsidiareis in a 1X1 ad that was pulled in a day. The only real attention given to it was ministers from OPEC discussing future Iraqi oil production and commentaries based on those companies purchases - what a joke.

Americans still have this notion that this country is pre 1960 morals and government where in fact the U.S. IS NOT the wonderful nexxus of the past but a big government entity intent on global control. It has nothing to do with the government as a whole but rather those running corporations and betraying our constitution and citizens in the house of Congress.

The U.S. is about big money, and big power, and we aim to stay in that sphere as long as we can, just like Rome did. Anyone who clings to the proud patriotism of America's past and fails to recognize the current ideology is as blind as a mole in daylight.

The honor and integrity of believing in a man in power such as the white house in our current time is a foolish dream for those who are hell bent on clinging to the past and ignorant of reality.

The future of America does not wait for your honor to catch up nor does it recognize your beliefs. If you fail to recognize what America has become then she has effectively corrupted you.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
Americans still have this notion that this country is pre 1960 morals and government where in fact the U.S. IS NOT the wonderful nexxus of the past but a big government entity intent on global control. It has nothing to do with the government as a whole but rather those running corporations and betraying our constitution and citizens in the house of Congress.

The U.S. is about big money, and big power, and we aim to stay in that sphere as long as we can, just like Rome did. Anyone who clings to the proud patriotism of America's past and fails to recognize the current ideology is as blind as a mole in daylight.

The honor and integrity of believing in a man in power such as the white house in our current time is a foolish dream for those who are hell bent on clinging to the past and ignorant of reality.

The future of America does not wait for your honor to catch up nor does it recognize your beliefs. If you fail to recognize what America has become then she has effectively corrupted you.

Yes!!! I wish everyone could see the light!!! You explained that perfectly, IMO.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Jadette that 23% held by foreign banks is mostly by the japanese and chinese central banks. When these two countries keep their currencies devalued they buy dollars and sell their own currency. What do they do with these dollars? They buy US bonds. They are the only ones left now willing to lend to the US. Last months capital flows report showed for the first time in 34 years private investors were net sellers of US bonds.

Where exactly is this extra $70 billion going to go? To Bush's companies and buddies of course hehe. Now bend over this won't hurt a bit......

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Bush underestimated a lot of things about this war. But most importantly, I think he overestimated himself.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
But it will hurt! Just let me get the KY Jelly Mr. President.

Anyways, love this, cuts taxes, then calls for more money. Aren't the republicans suppose to be the party that doesn't do this? I thought democrats were suppose to do this?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
He signs 140+Billion dollar tax cut last week, and now he wants more money?

I was wondering the same thing because you sure as hell can't have it both ways.

new topics

top topics

join