It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VOTE: 1,000s of Lawyers Prepare for Florida Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Based on the outcome of the voting and claims of voter intimidation and fraud in the 2000 election in Florida, thousands of lawyers for both the Democratic and Republican parties are preparing to monitor polling places in Florida for any signs of irregularity. Both sides are training lawyers to contest the results in the event they are needed, but the hope is that they will not be.

www.local6.com
MIAMI -- Lawyers on both sides of the political divide are armed for legal battle leading up to Election Day and thereafter in a state where the lawsuits have already piled up.

Many of the attorneys who were central to the battle for Florida in the protracted 2000 presidential count are back again for the contentious race between President Bush and his Democratic opponent, Sen. John Kerry.

Most of the lawsuits filed against the state so far have been by individuals, such as U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Fla., or civil rights organizations on issues of manual recounts on touch-screen machines and incomplete voter registration forms. But the legal teams for Bush and Kerry are ready for a potential showdown after the polls close Nov. 2.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My hope is that they will not be needed, but my fear is that if one side starts nitpicking the other will return with their own claims of fraud or intimidation. I don't think this will be good for voters.

Voter turn out has gotten lower and lower in successive elections. If voters feel that their votes are going to need the approval of lawyers to count, they may well stay away from the polls in mass quantities.

I hope this does not become the norm. 2000 was not the first year that there were problems. It was simple the point in time when the problems became highlighted due to the closeness of the results

Related News Links:
apnews.myway.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I scooped you on this one phreak.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted 9/20/2004 2:34 PM

Party lawyers prepare for post-Election Day trauma
By Anne Gearan, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON �
On Nov. 2, the voters will speak. The next morning, it may be the lawyers' turn.
Come Election Day, at least five "SWAT teams" of Democratic lawyers will have their bags packed, ready to go to whichever battleground state might turn into the next Florida.

Republicans have created an extensive network of lawyers in key states, and are flying in reinforcements now, weeks before the election. In Florida itself, Republicans have set up a command post in Tallahassee, the capital where hundreds of outside lawyers descended for the 2000 recount.

Once again, courts and lawyers may play a decisive role in picking the president.

www.usatoday.com...

[edit on 04/10/27 by GradyPhilpott]

join