It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools closing and 2nd teen dies of flu in MN; she had flu shot

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
My wife and I have never had a flu shot and neither of us can remember the last time we had the flu. I've heard from so many people this year that they have gotten the flu if not this year, in the past, despite getting the shot...

This is my experience as well. Every time I get that shot, I will get the flu that year.

Every. Single. Time.

Although I always get the last wave... I come down with the flu in late Feb. or early March. Maybe it just mutates through the season, and so the shot is just not as effective later. I don't know. Maybe the shot can wear down the immune system in some people, or maybe I'm just a statistical freak. Either way, I do know that my track record on flu shot = flu (for whatever reason), is 100%.

...and once you get it, you have to get the shot every year or you will surely get the flu.

This is not my experience. As I said, I have gotten the flu shot before, but there have been plenty of seasons where I did not get the shot, and did not get the flu.

So... "surely get the flu". No. Not for me anyway. If I don't get the darn shot, I am ok. It's weird.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Concerning the idea that people who have been recently vaccinated are actually carriers for the disease, consider the advice from the American Cancer Society:

Stay away from people who have recently had an immunization, such as a vaccine for
chicken pox or small pox. Check with your doctor about which vaccines are
important and how long you should stay away from people who have had them.

www.cancer.org...

If the virus was "dead", there should be no problem with coming in contact with those who have compromised immune systems, right?

Note the second sentence you quoted: "Check with your doctor about which vaccines are important and how long you should stay away from people who have had them." Chicken pox uses a live vaccine (VZV), as does smallpox (vaccinia). LAIV uses live, cold-attenuated influenza strains. You might want to stay away from people who have had those if your immune system is compromised. (And be careful around people with a recent smallpox vaccination even if you're heathy.) TIV uses three killed strains of influenza, and one need not avoid them.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have NEVER been vaccinated once in my entire life, my family never believed in immunizations. I have had influenza twice.

Yest people i know who have been regularly "immunized" since childhood have had it more times than they can remember.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I remember getting the flu several years ago so horribly I could barely move. I had also got a flu shot earlier that year! But I went to the Dr. anyway and they gave me an inhaler of Tama Flu or something similar knocked that flu out in a few days. But after I developed various over active immune system problems! There are too many variables that it would be impossible to prevent a flu.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I was sick this new year and it dint feel like a common cold this time i felt very different and i was very dizzy and it just felt different im sure it wasnt a flu because i had no fever .
I cant remember when was the last time i had the flu .

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

My wife and I have never had a flu shot and neither of us can remember the last time we had the flu. I've heard from so many people this year that they have gotten the flu if not this year, in the past, despite getting the shot...

This is my experience as well. Every time I get that shot, I will get the flu that year.

Every. Single. Time.

Although I always get the last wave... I come down with the flu in late Feb. or early March. Maybe it just mutates through the season, and so the shot is just not as effective later. I don't know. Maybe the shot can wear down the immune system in some people, or maybe I'm just a statistical freak. Either way, I do know that my track record on flu shot = flu (for whatever reason), is 100%.

...and once you get it, you have to get the shot every year or you will surely get the flu.

This is not my experience. As I said, I have gotten the flu shot before, but there have been plenty of seasons where I did not get the shot, and did not get the flu.

So... "surely get the flu". No. Not for me anyway. If I don't get the darn shot, I am ok. It's weird.

I was just offering my opinion on this from talking with some folks who have experienced this, so I'm not for sure and I may be wrong after hearing from people on this thread. But, from people on this thread, you can clearly see how many people get the flu after taking the shot!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Vaccinations are about profits. It's sad but true that this has become a billion-dollar industry and BIG PHARMA has a lot to lose, so believe that they will do whatever they have to to protect their profits. We're talking billions of dollars here and at what cost to the public? We're expendable! Their billions aren't! Sure, they may start out with good intentions but if they make a mistake, you think they'll ever admit it. There's too much to lose.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I agree Rez. Its about the money. The one time I took a flu shot I got gullian barre. Never took another.
First they require everyone to buy health care, next they will require everyone to get shot. All in the name of money

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Link to Canada flu activity map

dsol-smed.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

Link to US Flu activity map

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I live in Minnesota and i usually get the flu shot every year this year i didn't and Ive got the flu right now and sick as a dog on antibiotics ..
I think its up to each person if they want the shot or not if you have had bad experiences with the shot then don't get it Ive never had a problem with it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have never had a flu shot in my life and I don't plan on starting any time soon. Same with the wife and kids.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
All diseases that man can not fight naturally or with the help of nature are created or altered in a lab.

There is a synergy amongst nature and the fruits of her labor.
As man plants his seed, mother nature plants hers. We are of earth.

Alkaline / Acidic
Positive / Negative

For every negative there is a positive canceling attraction that brings balance.
There is a cure for everything. There is also a perfect weapon to bring destruction to anything. Opposites can balance as well as opposites can destroy.

Anybody with a fan in their room; feel the nice breeze as all the parts are working and balanced. Now tape a battery onto one of the fan blades and turn it on briefly. (please don't)
That's your body when your sick.....hahaha.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

Originally posted by Waldy
I think your paranoia is clouding your common sense here. It is not the vaccines fault, the vaccine is to protect the whole population and society from possible outbrake. The vaccine sometimes doesnt work and people do get sick. The fact that this poor girl didnt survive should stress the importance of getting the vaccine even more. The flu is deadly!

Yes you are right...the flu (influenza) was deadly 150 years ago. Why did a healthy young woman die to the "flu" with today's modern medical care? Even without the vaccination if a young healthy person gets flu it is easily remedied with home care.

Doesn't that raise concern to you?

Oh the ignorance. There are some strains of flu that provoke a severe reaction of the immune system. In fact the healthier a person is (ie usually younger) the more severe the immune system overreacts and ends up causing more damage. end result : healthy young people die, older less healthy people survive albeit with a crappy two weeks behind them.

Second point for the other totally ignorant statements made here : the vaccine is only effective (and even then not 100%) for a particular strain of flu. You could get a few flu jabs every year and still catch a different strain. Although usually these things are mapped and they have a reasonable idea (but not 100% DUH) which strain is doing the rounds.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Common sense tells me I've been just fine year after year without getting a flu shot. I remember just a few years ago you only heard the push that seniors and those with medical conditions should get the shot, but that didn't make BIG PHARMA enough money, so now the push is that EVERYONE needs to rush out right now and immediately get the shot.

You don't have to look too far back to remember how they were pushing flu shots during the swine flu outbreak. We rely too much on antibiotics and vaccines to prevent sickness. Our bodies are bombarded with bacteria everyday, in bathrooms, on cell phones, in the kitchen, you name it. People don't get sick everyday because of it. Your body has its own self defense mechanism. It's only my personal opinion, but when you handicap your body's defense system, you weaken it.

But what do I know?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I think your spot on!!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have been sitting back and watching this for a while now
I see some saying take the shot it will save you.
I see others say don't take the shot it won't save you
So I looked up vac ingredients under wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

Take a look and you decide what's good and whats not
PLUS...
From my understanding viruses change quick so by the time we get a vac it has already mutated.
I'm not saying trust me on it I'm saying just look a little deeper for your self before you let others run your life.....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was asked so I want to share this link with you about exemptions from vaccinating your child for school or daycare. You have the right to refuse vaccinations because of religious belief and you don't have to name the religion either.

Hints for religious belief against vaccines

This page has some great info about your rights to claim vaccines are against your religious beliefs and schools and day cares have to accept you.

Some schools and daycares attempt to require you to give far more information than required by law. You are not required by law to fill out any form letters from a school or daycare. The law allows you to submit your own letter and the letter only needs to meet the bare requirements of the law. Keep it simple; do not feel you need to describe your religious beliefs here as that also is not required by law. Have the letter notarized. Keep the original in a safe place and submit a copy to school or day care. It is a good idea to keep extra copies in a safe place, in your automobile, and to provide friends and relatives who watch your child with copies for unexpected doctor and hospital visits.

Many times, when a school or day care questions your exemption, they are merely unfamiliar with the law or trying to coerce you to go against your beliefs by deliberately misrepresenting the law. They are betting on the fact that you don't know your rights. Some parents have reported that some schools or day care centers try to require parents to submit a letter written by their pastor on their church letterhead. Some private day care centers have tried to say that they do not have to follow the law, but if they are licensed by the state, state laws apply.

The article here states that most state immunization laws don't recognize an exemption from vaccines based on religious beliefs but most state laws and the constitution does.

Here from a lawsuit in Texas:

Valdez v. Katy I.S.D.- A Texas family with a handicapped child was denied services for their child because of their religion. Current Texas law provides exemption from immunization on religious grounds but only if the parent is a member of an organized religion approved by the state. Liberty Legal Institute filed suit pointing out that the State may not prefer Jehovah's Witnesses or Christian Scientists over other faiths. The suit alleged that government discrimination against handicapped children because of their religion is unconstitutional. After suit, the district recanted and recognized the family's religious exemption.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

There are some strains of flu that provoke a severe reaction of the immune system. In fact the healthier a person is (ie usually younger) the more severe the immune system overreacts and ends up causing more damage. end result : healthy young people die, older less healthy people survive albeit with a crappy two weeks behind them.

You could get a few flu jabs every year and still catch a different strain.

These are both good points and both true. The 1918 pandemic seemed to hit young people with strong immune systems particularly hard.

The flu shots are an attempt to grant some immunity to the strains they think will be most likely. There might be a dozen strains in this years shot but even if you develop an immunity to all 12 that doesn't mean a 13th strain won't make you sick. Or you might not develop enough immunity from the shots to fight a strong or mutated virus.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

There are many different strains of the flu. The flu shot isn't going to cover every single strain.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmar11

There are many different strains of the flu. The flu shot isn't going to cover every single strain.

So then why take an unnecessary shot? They obviously got it wrong this year!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join