It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools closing and 2nd teen dies of flu in MN; she had flu shot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
A 14 year old teen dies of the flu in MN and this is the 2nd teen to die this season. The 14-year old girl, Carly Christensen, received the flu shot and yet she died from the flu and as the CBS news of the Twin Cities was reporting the story they are still telling people to get the flu shot, "It's your best protection."

This year the push for the flu shot has been everywhere like never before. In advertisements, in the news, regular visits to the doctor, at work, in schools, you name it, and guess what, this year is the worst flu outbreak in decades. Coincidence? I believe the flu shot is what is spreading the flu.

This is really sad to see this flu outbreak claiming young lives. Young lives of people who thought they were getting the flu shot to protect themselves from this!

This is the second paragraph of the story...they make sure to still encourage you to get this vaccine.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Health on Tuesday again urged all Minnesotans to get flu shots to protect them from the virus, which has killed five people and hospitalized at least 600 in the state since October.

Even though the story I link here says they hadn't confirmed if she had the shot, the CBS news broadcast tonight said she had.

2nd teen dies in 10 days, 600 hospitalized in MN

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Look at this in the story...they are going on the defensive and this paragraph is right after they said they couldn't confirm if Carly Christensen had the flu shot...so obviously, they knew it but didn't want to admit it.

Ehresmann stressed that the relatively rare deaths of people who were vaccinated should not lead to the conclusion that the shots are pointless. The vaccine is considered 60 percent effective against the flu in healthy adults, she said. It "is not 100 percent effective, so, sadly, it is possible to have a situation in which someone vaccinated develops influenza," Ehresmann said. "We still are recommending vaccination" for everyone, especially vulnerable groups such as the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions.

Please people, steer clear of this vaccine. My wife and I have never had a flu shot and neither of us can remember the last time we had the flu. I've heard from so many people this year that they have gotten the flu if not this year, in the past, despite getting the shot, and once you get it, you have to get the shot every year or you will surely get the flu.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think your paranoia is clouding your common sense here. It is not the vaccines fault, the vaccine is to protect the whole population and society from possible outbrake. The vaccine sometimes doesnt work and people do get sick. The fact that this poor girl didnt survive should stress the importance of getting the vaccine even more. The flu is deadly!

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
I think your paranoia is clouding your common sense here. It is not the vaccines fault, the vaccine is to protect the whole population and society from possible outbrake. The vaccine sometimes doesnt work and people do get sick. The fact that this poor girl didnt survive should stress the importance of getting the vaccine even more. The flu is deadly!

Yes you are right...the flu (influenza) was deadly 150 years ago. Why did a healthy young woman die to the "flu" with today's modern medical care? Even without the vaccination if a young healthy person gets flu it is easily remedied with home care.

Doesn't that raise concern to you?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy

Common sense tells me I've been just fine year after year without getting a flu shot. I remember just a few years ago you only heard the push that seniors and those with medical conditions should get the shot, but that didn't make BIG PHARMA enough money, so now the push is that EVERYONE needs to rush out right now and immediately get the shot.

link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
The vaccine is considered 60 percent effective against the flu in healthy adults, she said. It "is not 100 percent effective...

I see this quite a lot in the vaccine debate.

People who advocate vaccines are quite willing to admit that they are not 100 percent effective.
But the anti-vaccine people do two things...
- shout that it doesnt work like they "guarantee" (and yes, that word is used)
- shout that it doesnt work at all.

link   
The vaccine is based on a prediction of what strain of influenza people will be exposed to. If the virus evolves enough then the vaccine won't be protective, that's why a new one comes out every year. There is no guarantee that the vaccine will stop you getting the flu.
edit on 8-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I haven't had the shot and I've never been sick in 10 years.

*knock on wood*

Looks to me that smokers seem to live longer...

My sister on the other-hand, is sick everyday. Heck, I hang around her all day and I'm still immunized. Imagine that.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

the vaccine is to protect the whole population and society from possible outbrake.

You know, I came down with flu like symptoms the last few days(no flu shot) and walked into walmart to get some medicine. As was walking by the pharmacy sneezing, blowing snot all over the place, and shaking all over I started looking at all of the people around me. I couldn't help but think how easy it is to get other people sick and my final thought was " we're screwed."

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

The news story above says that this year's flu isn't more virulent, just a whole lot more cases, yet healthy teenagers are dying.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Havent had the flu shot in years, havent had the flu in years
Friends have gotten the flu shot in the past few years, friends always get the flu

She was lovely too

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by SpearMint

The news story above says that this year's flu isn't more virulent, just a whole lot more cases, yet healthy teenagers are dying.

Influenza is a horrible virus, it can and does kill young people, this is not unusual. I think that the problem is people often confuse the flu with other viruses like the common cold. Put a $50 note at the end of the driveway and tell the sick person they can have it if they go and get it, someone with the flu will not budge, it's horrible. It's very often misidentified and therefore underestimated. It can kill fast, that's why they promote the vaccine.
edit on 8-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here is what I think is going on.

Big pharma is definitely in this for the profits. All the advertising, news stories and plain old fear mongering by the doctors and nurses. This year, they got it wrong. The weakened strain they are injecting you with was the wrong one. Therefore the people that are getting sick would have been sick regardless and the people that somehow manage to avoid it would have with or without the shot.

Problem is, they won't admit they are wrong and they have stock piles of the vaccine ready to go. My opinion is the shot is a complete failure this year and they are just trying to please shareholders by fearing people into getting the non used doses to maximize profits.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Friends have gotten the flu shot in the past few years, friends always get the flu

Careful to be sure that you're taking of influenza here (and did the hospital tell them which strain it was?), and not just a bad cold.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
Here is what I think is going on.

Big pharma is definitely in this for the profits. All the advertising, news stories and plain old fear mongering by the doctors and nurses. This year, they got it wrong. The weakened strain they are injecting you with was the wrong one. Therefore the people that are getting sick would have been sick regardless and the people that somehow manage to avoid it would have with or without the shot.

Problem is, they won't admit they are wrong and they have stock piles of the vaccine ready to go. My opinion is the shot is a complete failure this year and they are just trying to please shareholders by fearing people into getting the non used doses to maximize profits.

Makes a lot of sense

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I don't believe in flu shots either. My grandparents got them year after year, and within days of getting it my grandmother got sick. She ended up with supposed encephilitis shortly following a flu shot (thought they blamed it on some fire-ants), and never fully recovered brain function. They eventually called it Alzheimers, but I have always believed it was related to that last flu shot.

I have never had a flu shot, and have had the flu four times in my life, three in the last 6 years. When you have a little germ factory bringing home bugs from school it doesn't seem to matter how well you eat or how good your immune system is.

We all had this years flu and it knocked it out for Christmas. There is a high fever associated with it, which I am sure is the major problem with the hospitalized cases. It is also long.....two weeks before you feel yourself.

I also have to warn anyone who gets it, there is a secondary virus hanging out with it. Most people in my area are getting a pretty good cold about a week after. As I type this, my throat is sore, so I am sucking back a lemon-baking soda concoction and have squeezed fresh oranges for juice for the family in the morning.

I feel incredibly sad for the family that lost that beautiful girl. You have to be cautious with any virus.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I work with the sickest people.......carrying all manner of dormant bacteria, diseases and actual illnesses. I have never allowed myself to get a flu shot or anything else. The worker's I know who have bought the lie have been extremely ill, even in hospital.

So the conclusion is that my body is doing just what it is meant to...................theirs however are not. You all need to open your eyes, do research and actually find out some FACTS. Only after acquiring the truth about these vaccinations can anyone make an informed decision that is not based on ignorance.

You were born with an incredible capacity to naturally fight much of what is thrown your way. Have a little faith in the way you were designed explicitly for your survival.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

For the most part, I am against vaccines. However, after coming down with the flu in early September. I can attest that this is a very nasty Influenza this year. I had a fever of 103-104 for 6 days! Severe body aches and extreme fatigue, headache and chest congestion!! The only difference the vaccine could have made, is maybe this strain of flu, would not have made me so sick. It really is a crap shoot this year. The virus mutates quickly, so don't expect complete immunity but the shot could lessen the symptoms and perhaps save a life or 2. It's really important to weigh the risks and benefits. Keep in mind the persons age, immune system and overall health.

Knock on wood!! Let's hope you remain so lucky. But I would not give anyone this type of advice. There are sure to be consequences.

I would like to know where you read that if you get the vaccine once you always have to get it. As a nurse I can tell you, that there is no medical evidence backing this up. You have been misinformed.

Pax

Please people, steer clear of this vaccine. My wife and I have never had a flu shot and neither of us can remember the last time we had the flu. I've heard from so many people this year that they have gotten the flu if not this year, in

the past, despite getting the shot, and once you get it, you have to get the shot every year or you will surely get the flu.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

There's no evidence. I've been anti-flu shot for years and I haven't been quiet about it either so naturally, I have run into many people who have said this. That's it, basically an opinion of my own formed after talking with people who have had the shot and feel that way.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
To all the people saying "I haven't had the shot in X years and haven't gotten the flu": This means NOTHING. You were simply not exposed to it, the shot is for just in case you are, no one is saying "get the shot or you will get the flu".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join