It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube forces users to link their account to gmail

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustgibberisH
On the bright side, Trollers can now be searched up and exposed. No more hiding behind a computer screen and posting ignorant comments, Because now i know your name and where you live.

And you know exactly what constitutes as trolling?
What if someone doesn't like your opinion and calls you a troll?

That is just aside.

I am really shocked at the lax attitude of those that say: "Don't use X". It isn't that simple.

First of all, when all these sites started, you were still private. In those days, it was fun to watch what you like and be able to give an opinion. Then, slowly sites merged and things changed.

Are the only option here:
- leaving a site you loved completely?
- Not using your log in and therefore losing all your preferences?
- Lying through your teeth by making fake accounts, just to log on? [Which could be made illegal one day]

If you are new to the net and decide not to use either Google or Youtube, it is easy to opt out. But we are talking people here that have had an account for longer than you can imagine.

It is like a drug dealer giving you the first hits for free but then you have to pay. It isn't easy to just leave a site you participated on for years without problems. Does our loyalty not count for anything?

As to the naive notion that Google and Youtube are free.
Yes they are if you believe 'free' means having to pay no money. I don't have to give G or YT any money to use them but 'free' they ain't.

I 'pay' by bartering. I give them my presence and my participation and hence I give them volume, with which they can make shedloads of money from advertising. We own a small site that is from the early 2000s and people still give us money to advertise on it.
So the revenue for the giants is immense and all because of: PEOPLE Sometimes you can make even more money inderictly than directly. This is the case with G and YT. If they wouldn't make enough by advertising, you'd soon have to pay.

So no it is not free at all. I will have to pay with my privacy and that is worth more than money. Nothing on earth is free.

Furthermore it is shocking to see that when things changle slowly, over a few years; some people are happy to go along with anything if it is packaged right.
Sentences such as: "It makes things easier" or "it is better to target me with adverts that are relevant rather than irrelevant to me is better" make me cringe.

Sure at the moment this may well be the case but you have to ask yourself; "Where will it stop?"
Always contemplate the future!

If you are happy to put up with this much, then nothing will stop the giants from trying to get a little further. I am not making this up, it is business [and human] nature.
"How far can we go?"
If they go any further, lets say, they want you full address, name and birthday for all websites anywhere, you would be happy right?
Because it makes things easier still.

What if you are 'clever' and use other sites or alternative browsers, in order to stay anonymous but one day some government jobsworth decides that everyone who uses these has something to hide and will be made a criminal?
They do this already with encrypted writing. It is illegal to have this on your hard drive, even if you just had a laugh with a mate.

Young people lack the foresight. They believe that everything is always going to stay the way it is now. How could they know otherwise? The same is true for the uneducated, as they don't know of any examples.

I have lived through large changes. My parents were in WW2. I had friends in E Germany. I have seen honest companies turn nasty and I am seeing Governments change right now for their worst. I recognise the warning signals. Experience is one heck of a tool! Some don't have this and therefore can not possibly try and convince those that do.

And it is those that walk blindly into everything, believing it is all 'for the best' that these giants rely on.
You are their wet dream!
If the world was full of us cynics, these companies wouldn't get anywhere unless they listened to their customers [paying or non paying is irrelevant] and do things right. You ARE important as a customer [even if you only pay indirectly], you are the blood in their veins and therefore you do have the right to moan about things that you don't like. End of.

Because 'it makes it easier...is for the best...it's for our wellbeing..." Where did I hear that one before..?

Posted twice

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The theory is once you register for one of Googles services, you are automatically able to use them all.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
By using gmail, Google has access to your mail. Many will simply only have gmail so Google has all their mail and who they associate with via email.

Convenience is only part of the picture...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
Hey Google, Don't be evil.

There's no evil here, it's a business. I've worked in e-commerce development for over 15 years and bundling products, acquiring new customer bases and bringing them into the fold and all such maneuvers are common and expected. Now you know, remove your YouTube videos, create a new account to post with or find another place to put them. Yes it sucks but there's nothing evil about it.

This however...rt.com... It has been posted before but I include it here for people who aren't aware. Always assume that everything you put out on the 'net is 100% public.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
People forget that they are using a proprietary service, costing no money, only their data.

It is free, of charge. You offer to pay with your data.

If people do not like that agreement...they shouldn't use such services.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I can't stress it enough... People and their darned first-world problems!

"Darnit, my free thing isn't as perfect as I want it to be! I deserve better for free!!!"

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

reply to post by minnow

I will be looking for an alternative that respects my privacy. I'm just upset about losing access to many years worth of videos and playlists, but it's not worth it to me to link.

Amazing how many of you are willing to let them track and link every single aspect of your life.

Today I picked my nose and ate the resulting booger attached to my index finger....this is something I do not want Google to know about.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

As I stated I don't want people using my gmail to track down my youtube account. I don't want my comments to be googled up. People could learn a lot about your politics, and personal life by following your youtube account.

As others have already recommended. There is an easy fix to your issue. Simply make a new Gmail account that you can then use with your old youtube channel. I also watch videos on youtube all the time without logging in.

Not very hard or inconvenient to do. I have 3 youtube accounts and 3 gmail accounts. I don't see what the big deal is here. Google is not the only company that tracks your internet usage. Practically every web service does the same thing. Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, MSN, Google and countless others all use data mining and it's not new or any big secret.

There's a lot worse things going on behind closed doors by TPTB to be concerned with who is tracking your video views.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm surprised at the number of negative comments to the OP.

No, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I personally have found it to be incredibly annoying, as have many long time youtube users. If you're someone who likes to put videos on youtube, it can get really complicated and it can easily become the exact OPPOSITE of "ease of use." Google/youtube have been trying to implement this policy for years, and to this day, there are still people who can't get into their own youtube accounts once they DO link it to a gmail account. There have been tons of mix ups, problems and lock outs reported with this. If you have two youtube accounts, which I do, you have to have two google accounts, and two different email accounts. IT IS A HASSLE!

And of all sites not to want to pounce on this a little bit, I'm surprised this one doesn't. It's a perfect example of a force that wants to dominate everything and bulldoze its way through the Internet controlling everything. No, it's not going to kill you and no, you don't have to participate in it,but on the other hand, it's the same thing as Chapters buying up all the small locally owned bookstores - it sucks!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

On YouTube, I use a handle that has a handle based aol account -- I am anonymous. With Gmail, I have my real name... I do not want to link my real name to YouTube.

Yup that's pretty anonymous. Do you even Tor?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Why would you use TOR to watch videos on youtube?

Are you serious?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
totally, they want to make everything together and youtube is acting as if is the only video share website on the internet. it is time to switch to another video share website but the only problem they aren't providing a good srevice at least the same we have on "old" youtube. remember when youtube used to have a nice layout and everyone was sharing serious comments all across the website. it is way too hard to communicate on today's youtube and of course find anything relevent at all. you only find what you were looking for previously which makes almost impossible to find new searches for new topics. youtube has become awuful on many aspects.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I logged out of my youtube account for the first time in awhile and when I went to log in I was instructed to log into my google account (I never do) and to link my youtube account to my gmail. I will never log back into youtube again. I'm so disgusted by this policy. Judging by the comments on a youtube video about this new policy I'm not alone.

Youtube also instructs:

"Please note: If you link your YouTube Account to a Gmail Account you will not be able to change the email account with which your YouTube Account is associated/linked in the future. When you link a YouTube Account to a Gmail Account the Accounts are permanently linked and this cannot be undone.

They are gradually consolidating everything so that you will have no choices anymore on the internet. They will soon monopolize the entire internet. The internet is dead.

I don't want people to find my youtube. I don't want them to use my email address to search out my account. Bye bye youtube... I won't be back on my account. Time for someone to make a good alternative where we can remain anonymous and unlinked please.

FYI: Your posting history on youtube will now come up in a google search so watch what you say!

Hey Google, Don't be evil.

This is really a none post. YouTube is a Google product.

No big brother, no 1984, no illuminati or any other BS here.

It's just a company merging is login systems.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ziplock9000

Nothing to see here folks move along The big fish eat the little ones. Not my problem, give me some...

Buy out, consolidate, get bigger and take more. Too bad for you peons.

We want and are going to have all of your information.

OK Computer.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Okay, in light of recent events it is clear to me now. Forcing us into accounts with our names and attaching specific accounts to specific email addresses makes the spying so much easier.

Orwell was right.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is all to force people to use their social network Google +. plus.google.com... . I like Google+ but I know that's not the point. For those that want to keep using youtube there is a way to avoid connecting youtube to your personnel gmail account. If you set up a Google+ page they will let you set up a new gmail account for that page. And they they will let you connect that page to your youtube account. So instead of your youtube account being connected to your gmail account. It will only be connected to the new gmail you set up for your Google+ page. My youtube channel www.youtube.com... connected to my Google+ page google.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Okay, in light of recent events it is clear to me now. Forcing us into accounts with our names and attaching specific accounts to specific email addresses makes the spying so much easier.

Orwell was right.

You make me smile. Your ideas are based on a messed up beliief system that your entitled to something.
The sooner you realise you are entitled to nothing, the happier you will become.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Oh I'm not entitled as you like to think. I have inalienable rights enumerated in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. If you aren't a US citizen I wouldn't expect you to understand. If you are, then I feel sorry for you.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have YouTube I don't have Gmail, never have, never will. I can still log in to all Google services just fine without being asked for Gmail info or being forced to take a Gmail account.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

A relatively good post, but I do wonder about your masonic name (of a witch, no less!), the satanic number in it, and the masonic avatar you have. What gives? On a conspiracy forum like this, one could expect (at least if one hasn't been here a lot before) people there to be more enlightened and aware of those symbols than the brainwashed masses and mainstream, which will embrace anything and everything the PTB will tell them is "cool" or the "in thing" (and for some reason, death cult skull+crossbones, masonic symbols, satanic numbers and black clothes, zombies, anything that has to do with demons, hell, goblins, or horror, is increasingly the "in thing", and the masses accept it unanimously without resistance).

Also, you don't seem to understand that although anything can be made "illegal", not everything can be made "unlawful". And that latter is what really matters, because the first one is optional.

Yes, it's optional, whether you obey the legal system or not. Without your consent, you cannot be governed by a legal system of any kind! So someone has written some words on a paper, and that somehow gives them authority over you, so that they can decree what you can or can't "have" inside your hard drive? Besides, nothing on your hard drive is 'real' in the sense, that it's all just magnetic polarities that exist near a surface of a disc (or multiple discs)!

Why could someone else dictate what magnetic fields or polarities of magnetic fields can exist inside YOUR hard drive? Hmm?

Without your consent, they can't. If I come to your house and tell you that you are not allowed to have pixels on your hard drive, because I typed such an act or statute on a paper, would you have to give your hard drive to me and confess to a crime, and would I have then the right to imprison you and take your freedom away? NO, I wouldn't.

Any man or woman or group of men and/or women will not have any more right to dictate anything about your hard drive than I do, no matter -what- uniform they are wearing, no matter -what- papers they hold in their hands, and no matter -what- they claim they can do.

Unless you give your consent for them to be able to do so. Research "Meet your strawman" for more information.

It's amazing how little people even in ATS still know about this FUNDAMENTAL basic difference between 'lawful' and 'legal', which is so very, VERY important to anyone who even considers freedom to be a relatively important thing - let alone among those who consider it to be the most important thing.

There have been some good comments here, and some really odd, naive and disturbingly corporation-worshipping and trusting ones as well. I guess no one wants to think that the world isn't safe and just for all, and most people rather just believe that all the 'big brothers' are only serving them and looking out for them, protecting them and all that.

The 'free' argument ..

On one hand, it's true, that no one has to use youtube. It's very true. One doesn't even have to have a computer! One can live a perfectly rich and fulfilling life without using a computer, though certain things will be nuisances (like paying bills, using the library search and reserve services, etc. etc).

But on the other hand, youtube is not just one, tiny option among a vast sea of equal-sized options. Youtube is pretty much the -only- place where you can find certain videos, it's the biggest video site in the world, known everywhere (except North Korea, perhaps) and the amount of all kinds of content is mind-boggling, and can't be compared to any other site with wisdom.

There's not really a 'choice' here, it's not a choice to either get your favorite food AND a beating, or have to eat gruel and not get a beating. That is a DILEMMA. Dilemma is different from a choice, because in a dilemma, there are only bad options available.

There are no viable alternatives to youtube, and they are, as a monopoly (or at least having the status of monopoly for all practical purposes), abusing and misusing this fact to their advantage, to extort private information from people - information, that they should in NO WAY ever even be interested in, without alarming people to question and suspecting that something awful is going on. But with the sheeple, it's easy..

So the argument is a bit silly - it has nothing to do without it's free, or whether the freeness of it creates an obligation not to complain about it or not (anything CAN be complained about, no matter how much money has exchanged hands).

And I don't think it's so much a complain, as it is an OBSERVATION, and an ALERT to wake up people so they can see the big picture; something is happening, and it is NOT for the benefit of the people, on the contrary.

I deleted my account from youtube lately, and most of my accounts from gmail - I plan to not 'register' with them again.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join