It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control... A possible Compromise

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I know... Another Englishman having his two cents on your country..

But hear me out..

From watching the AJ debate with that wretch Piers Morgan.. It is clear that this issue has the potential to rip your country apart... As someone who loves the US.. I dont want to see that happening.

To me.. The US constitution is one of the most genius governmental models in history.. It exemplifies true freedom and is something to be cherished and protected..

So a possible solution to calm both sides of the arguement is required..

I propose that gun safety, safe handling etc be taught at school.. It would promote responsable usage.. And the consequences of irresponsable usage.. I believe this approach would be benificial.. And would keep the US constitution in tact..

Education can therefore be the tool to keep freedoms in place..

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
A kid can't even take a bible to school what makes you think they will show gun safety. Hell we can't even get accurate and effective sex education.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Odd you should say that. My father's generation apparently did. He'd told me about it and I've heard that elsewhere. That would have been the 50's. I learned in a formal way first in the Cub Scouts which is the pre-teen scouting organization. That was the 80's at the La Jolla scout camp in California. Different times.... but indeed, different in not having the mass school shootings too. Who knows.

I even took a rifle to Junior High in Villa Park, California for a show and tell thing. They required the firing pin be removed and the principle knew enough about firearms himself to verify that fact. Very different times.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

As you have seen, America is the land of the propaganda, agendas, crock politicians and private corruption.

So what you are looking at is just another happy to take advantage propaganda to erode the constitution that so far no one be in politics, private or otherwise can touch, because once is done we will be domed as a nation.

So just sit back and watch the pony show it will not last long.

At the end as usual the constitution will prevail, that is the way its been and the way it will be.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In my town it wasn't uncommon for rifles or shotguns to end up on school grounds during hunting season. There would be an announcement and no one really worried. Even after 9/11 the only thing they did was lock the doors so you had to come in the front door only during class time there was no guard or anything and the front door was never locked. This was 2002-2006. Inanimate objects are not the problem. When we had beef we fought it out in the street or back yard someone won and everyone went home. Never heard of a gun related crime. 1 guy was murdered with a screw driver (beef between dude, husband, cheating wife) dudes stabbed each other one knife one screw driver. Ban them they were more dangerous in my town than the thousands of guns.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

As a soldier gun safety and responsable usage has been rammed down my throat so much it is second nature.. If your grand parents were taught this with the resulting proven responsable usage then it would work now..

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I was all prepared to destroy your argument but was pleasantly surprised to see some simple logic and reason! Although what you propose is not a compromise it is the way it used to be.

There should be no more compromises!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Another Englishman talking gun control? LOL, just kidding.

I think education is important, but the media and government has the people living in fear. Fear that their children will be abducted, fear that they will be shot, fear etc. The state of perpetual fear has Americans on edge and not thinking clearly. At least the majority.

The whole thing is not about guns to me. It is about rights. I have no guns and don't plan on owning one. But, that is my choice. My choice and someone's murderous actions SHOULD NOT take away my fellow citizens rights.

Not now and not ever. The right to bear arms is one of the last one's left in this country. Most of the rest are gone.

And, there are already laws (against assault weapons too). There is a lot of media about rape. The focus is on the perpetrators. Maybe the focus should be on the weapon they used. Sound absurd? That's how I view this whole gun thing that is being politicized criminally.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
LOL,

I agree but the lefties will NEVER settle for anything short of confiscation. That is the end goal.

1) Forced Registration where you must register them or be considered a felon. Also, all transfers tracked so they know exactly who and where that firearm is.

2) Wait a year or two, Then implement phase 2. Mandatory buy-back or turn in... they will have a record of every registered firearm and if you do not, lie, or say it was stolen, you will be a felon. Turn-in or else. All ammo must be turned in as well.

3) Hidden GPS enabled / embedded rounds. A tracking bullet in hollowed out rounds, to go after anyone that still has ammo, hopefully they will snag those big caches!

4) Rewards! Crimestoppers, Do you know someone hiding weapons?, call us now and we will perform a no-knock warrant and if firearms are found you get $5,000 ! (Will be lots of murdered dogs with this one)

5) Change in self defense laws... did the criminal suffer harm? You are guilty!

6) Increase the police state... Now that violent crime has tripled, We NEED a camera in every room, car, and street corner along with rapid response forces for YOUR protection.

Did I miss anything? Liberal Lefties, anything I left out other than execution or re-education camps errrrr.. mental hospitals?
edit on 8-1-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

Indeed.. You use a gun.. A bat.. A knife.. A screwdriver..

Dead is still dead whatever the method..

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
you're giving the american education to much credit. some of those kids make rocks look like geniuses.

that isn't in an insult to the kids, it's not their fault.

but if you start having gun shooting as a class, every kid in the class would get A+'s in only one subject, and not even be interested in any other class besides gun shooting.

all the other subjects would be just in the way of anticipation of when gun class will start.

why, because they are kids, and shouldn't be around guns.

you shouldn't be teaching them how to defend themselves against evil at such a young age. that's what you are there for.

when they are old enough to understand and want to know they will come to you.
edit on 8-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

You are definitely on the right track.

My plan would also, revert the 2nd back to what it was intended for.
1) Constitutional Carry, should be reinstated, nationwide.
2) A Nationally recognized Concealed Carry License should be settled upon. And, the requirements to get one, should be firm but easily attainable. And it should be very inexpensive, or free.
3) A 2nd tier license should also be established, which requires more stringent guidelines and qualifying with the weapon, and proper storage. This license should allow the holder to own fully automatic, and other types of "military grade" weapons.
4) A 3rd tier license should be made available, as well. This license would incorporate advanced weapons, equivalent to those used by the elite military and Special Weapons and Tactics, members. Again, very stringent guidelines, with regard to background and handling and storage, of the weapons.
5) A program, similar to the T.I.P.S. Hotline, but this one would reward tipsters substantially, for information and location of known criminals in possession of any illegal firearm(s). Let those who know where the bad guys are, profit from doing the right thing. It will help Law Enforcement do their job, more efficiently, and rid society of the unwanted elements much faster than any new gun laws will.

What say you?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thanks OP, for the kind words. Your idea is great. You are about 100+ years too late to even have that considered in our schools. You have to join the military, or police force to get that education. We can't even get people to drive while paying attention.

Read the article linked in this thread. It explains alot about guns and people.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Your proposal has nothing to do with mass shootings. It wont help and no compromise allowed anymore. A hidden link between these shootings and the SSRI class of drugs exists but the thought is the shooter should have been on the meds sooner.

I agree with your view on our founding documents and its worth noting where those men trace there roots back across the pond...and my mom's a Brit too....I mean mum.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I agree....
Banning items is never an answer.
Education is always (at least part of) the answer.

Of course, what about the car used to drive to the crime? If the suspect didn't have a car, they would have probably decided against the crime if it meant walking that long way there. After all, many of us Americans are deemed fat and lazy, so take away the easy access to cars and there will be no crimes. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Yes...yes it does.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
Thanks OP, for the kind words. Your idea is great. You are about 100+ years too late to even have that considered in our schools. You have to join the military, or police force to get that education. We can't even get people to drive while paying attention.

Read the article linked in this thread. It explains alot about guns and people.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

That article is great!

I am going to share.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
All gun confiscation programs start by chipping away at the outer barriers of gun ownership.
Attention now shifts to California Senator Dianne Feinstein’s gun control legislation at the national level, which is likely to be introduced on January 22.

Feinstein’s bill would not only ban a whole lot of different firearms, it would also require all gun owners to register the serial numbers of all their guns with the federal government as well as their fingerprints, treating anyone who owns a firearm as akin to a sex offender.
I dont care what they say or do with there gun laws.
I always say owning a Gun is a choice not a crime.
My only compromise will be Hideing everything i own & be a criminal by choice.
Guns are going to sell like drugs.
We just can’t afford to become animals in such circumstances.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Guns are obviously a part of life in America and guns are also a cornerstone of American culture. I think teaching American schoolchildren about guns is a no brainer. Another thing that should be considered is gun familiarity activities in Pre-schools and Early Education Centres. Children are taught about various dangers at a very early age but guns are never mentioned. American children should know how Americans deal with strangers as early as possible. A gun can solve the problem of 'stranger danger' in America and children should know that. American children should be empowered from as early an age as possible and by Kindergarten, an American child should already be quite familiar with guns and how important and essential guns are for Americans to protect themselves against bad guys and bad government.

America is not like any other advanced nations. America is a very dangerous place and to deny this is foolish. American society and culture has always been dominated by guns. It has been suggested that teachers in America should carry guns to school. This is sensible in America. Highschool and Primary age American children should be taught gun safety. American Pre-schoolers and American toddlers should be given gun familiarity activities and gun education so there is a smooth transition to the gun safety lessons at school.

America is not like any other advanced nation. Just because gun control works in every other advanced nation doesnt mean it will in America. Guns are a sad part of life in America and for some reason America has millions of criminals. The good Americans do need guns to protect themselves from the bad people. Its just like all the gun people have been saying - "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun". America just has more bad people than any other advanced nation. Maybe its their terrible welfare system, maybe its backlash from American societies opinion and treatment of the poor. Who knows.? Who knows why America has so very many people in prisons. For some reason America spits out incredible numbers of bad and evil people.

If I lived in America, I would be afraid for many reasons. To take guns away from good Americans is not a good idea because America is a bad and dangerous place.

American children must be taught about how important guns are to the American dream. It is an outrage that children are not being taught about guns in schools already. What is it going to take?
edit on 8-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Ok, wow. Yeah, that is not a compromise.

I just don't get pro-gun people thinking this is a compromise. So you are saying that since some people are saying prevelance of gun and the gun culture in America is a problem...let's expand it, let's teach all kids in school how to use guns. And you are calling that a compromise.

Seriously, WTF?

What do you guys not understand, there is one solution...fewer guns and stricter regulations on getting guns and what guns you can get....period.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by madenusa

You see that is my problem.. It is wrong to criminalise whole swaithes of people who own a gun for self defence.. To be treated that way marks you out.. And many will ignore registering.. Thus being turned into criminals for merely carrying out your constitutional rights..

I think this stinks.. And will provide a flashpoint of trouble..

Surely education is thr obvious solution?

<<   2  3 >>

join