It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Purpose of Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Let me preface this thread by saying that I am at a "low" right now and wanting to see other's take on this notion.
Note: I feel as if this thread can fit into the metaphysical/philosophy forums, but I feel the thread being in Religion, Faith, and Theology section is more appropriate as I feel as if this is a 3rd home of sorts.

The purpose of life is entirely up to the individual; one's purpose is can be compared and contrasted to another, yet one's purpose is wholly unique.

This being said, what is the purpose of life on a micro level, i.e. your life, and on an macro level, i.e. the general populace?

What made you come to that conclusion?
edit on 8-1-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

ko

For self, it is to bring others home on a macro level. On a micro level it is to speak and assist a select group.

Many here will say how bad life is here, but do not provide solutions to the various problems here. Man needs to show some improvement or otherwise Father will end it early, as he has not shown Father that he is worthy to stay here.

To you, do not let emotions overcome you. Look to the sky for happiness. Also, speak to Father for comfort.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The meaning of life is to learn, grow, and experience. I'm not really sure how I came to this conclusion, it just seems "right" to me.
edit on 8-1-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The meaning of life is to learn, grow, and experience. I'm not really sure how I came to this conclusion, it just seems "right" to me.
edit on 8-1-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

I agree to this notion as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't think of any of us can know the truth of those questions. We can only know what feels true for each of us, individually. (But, I could be wrong

I have always "felt" since I was very young that I came here (incarnated) to "play" and to "change the world." I have not done a whole of either, and sometimes I feel that I let myself down. When I say "play" - I mean enjoy, be joyful, blissful, compassionate, full of grace, beauty, peace, love. Childlike and full of wonder. Appreciative. Trusting. Giving/receiving. Full of poetry and music and dance. Enjoying nature, Earth, connection. Joyful laughter and community.

Sometimes I feel we are all aspects of onesong (universe) and we've incarnated in this space/time to experience it, and remember who we are while in this state. I am not sure I believe this is a "school" and we are "learning" as much as we simply need to remember what we already know. Sometimes I do believe we create our reality.

But, I will not impose my thoughts, musings, feelings, hopes or ponderings on anyone else (or even upon myself, as I am ever growing, changing), or make someone wrong in order for me to feel right.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There is no meaning to life nor purpose for life. Life only is. It is the isness. All it does is exist.

The meanings and purposes are a response to it. They come from it. They don't belong to it. The meanings and purposes always are changing. Beingness doesn't change, but causes change to happen.

You just are. If you are looking for guidance, my advice is to detach yourself from the happenings and see that they happen from you but do not define you. And just be.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galadriel
I don't think of any of us can know the truth of those questions. We can only know what feels true for each of us, individually. (But, I could be wrong

I have always "felt" since I was very young that I came here (incarnated) to "play" and to "change the world." I have not done a whole of either, and sometimes I feel that I let myself down. When I say "play" - I mean enjoy, be joyful, blissful, compassionate, full of grace, beauty, peace, love. Childlike and full of wonder. Appreciative. Trusting. Giving/receiving. Full of poetry and music and dance. Enjoying nature, Earth, connection. Joyful laughter and community.

Sometimes I feel we are all aspects of onesong (universe) and we've incarnated in this space/time to experience it, and remember who we are while in this state. I am not sure I believe this is a "school" and we are "learning" as much as we simply need to remember what we already know. Sometimes I do believe we create our reality.

But, I will not impose my thoughts, musings, feelings, hopes or ponderings on anyone else (or even upon myself, as I am ever growing, changing), or make someone wrong in order for me to feel right.

Do you feel as if you changing the world can happen on a micro level? For instance, a simple hello, smile, or simple, random act of altruistic charity. Or does it necessarily have to be a HUGE event for change to happen?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
There is no meaning to life nor purpose for life. Life only is. It is the isness. All it does is exist.

The meanings and purposes are a response to it. They come from it. They don't belong to it. The meanings and purposes always are changing. Beingness doesn't change, but causes change to happen.

You just are. If you are looking for guidance, my advice is to detach yourself from the happenings and see that they happen from you but do not define you. And just be.

And how did you come to this conclusion?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I think if you are searching for a purpose then you may be searching for a long time. If you find the purpose be sure to let me know what it is too

Seriously though, does there actually have to be a purpose? Can we not just be happy with having the opportunity to exist at all without the thought of being here ofr some divine purpose?

Would life not be easier if we spent it just having as much fun as we possibly could and stopped worrying about who put us here or why we are even here at all. Can ignorance in this instance set us free?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The purpose of life: Love Yahweh, love yourself, and love others. Relationships are important. Life is better when you have people to share it with. Enjoy each moment. Even if you're washing dishes. It's a boring, tedious, never-ending job. But, we can find the joy in the small things.

edit on 8-1-2013 by frostbitemartini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Yes, I do feel that I "choices" are what make me "me." What I choose in each moment to think, feel...or how I choose to then act/respond to the world around me. So, yes, smiling, holding an elevator door, letting someone in on the freeway on-ramp, smiling and waving to the baby in the shopping cart in front of me, looking someone in the eye and acknowledging them with a warmth and presence, even intentions for my day or experiences -- that's playing and changing the world.

I just thought I would have risen above "FEAR" by now, taken off the blanket of fear and lived completely whole. Thought by now I would be using my talents and creativity a lot more than I am, in service. (But, if I truly create my experience or to the collective experience -- then I've created a situation where I still live in fear -- hhmmm.)

Thanks for pointing that out. It's not always the seemingly large actions that can be meaningful to others and self.

link   
The purpose of life is to perpetuate life

link   

Originally posted by Galadriel
Sometimes I do believe we create our reality.

You don't create as a process of desire, choice, and execution. You dont really do anything except exist,because you simply are. Nothing more than that. You dont do anything. But all that happens comes from you being.

So no, the creator doesnt impose. The creator is still amd unchanging,and everything that happens does so because you simply are.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by frostbitemartini

Who the fk is Yahweh?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well I'm trying to quit drugs at the moment and it's leaving me very empty/bored. So I've decided I'm going to try to find a local cult to join!

So for me; life is just doing stupid # till it ends. Because no matter what you do the reality is it is all pointless.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Nobody, he doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by frostbitemartini

Who the fk is Yahweh?

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by smithjustinb

Nobody, he doesn't exist.

Let's not derail the thread. If the thread is to be derailed, let us not do it pejoratively.

Originally posted by thoughtfuldeliquent
Well I'm trying to quit drugs at the moment and it's leaving me very empty/bored. So I've decided I'm going to try to find a local cult to join!

So for me; life is just doing stupid # till it ends. Because no matter what you do the reality is it is all pointless.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I've been and still am in those shoes... Your steps are different, but comparable to mine. What makes you think that life is pointless?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtfuldeliquent

I am battling multiple addictions at the moment so I am sympathetic towards your plight. If it helps I found the way I deal with it most is to not make myself promises that are difficult for me to keep, like I will not drink ever again. I start with I will not drink today, then when I get to the end of the day I pat myself on the back for not drinking and then say now I will not drink tomorrow and repeat this process. I then after a while and look at my month and say was my month this month more productive and more happy than my previous month. I then make it my goal for the next month to be even better. One small step at a time, and do it because you want to do it not because somebody is telling you to do it. Only you can stop if you actually want to stop. Good luck and I pray that we both come out at the other side with what we desire.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The purpose of life is to learn what you're here to learn my friend...

IF you already knew what you needed to learn, you wouldn't be here...

And I came to that conclusion by learning... Which I'm still in the process of doing

edit on 8-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think life serves no other purpose but, to live it as nature intended.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join