It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there really a difference between Male and Female deoderants and perfumes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
We have a pharmacy chain in South Africa that sells mostly Chinese products, like lights on a headband, that break when the warranty runs out (strange how that happens at exactly the right time).
But they also dispense medicines, stock vitamins and supplements, and they have a wide range of deodorant and perfume testers.

Whenever I go into the store I look for the male scents that cost the most money (say R600-700).
Then I spray my shirt until it's steaming with scent.
Normally I can wear the same shirt again, and it lasts for another day or two.

Usually it's fine when I go for the Banderas or Beckham range of products, although I try various kinds.
I've also walked out with tearing eyes and bad hay-fever.
Usually though I find that my female companions do the same, and their perfume sometimes really stinks and makes me feel queasy.

Now today I thought I was spritzing some butch perfume on my arm, and then somebody said I'm actually spraying Khloe and Lamar perfume from the Kardashians.
I was horrified, thinking that it was for females.

However, we examined the packaging, and it seems to be neither Arthur or Martha.

OK, we know the Tommy brand tried the unisex thing, and maybe Old Spice was first a woman's perfume that didn't sell.

I've been smelling my arm, and I cannot say it's unpleasant.
A bit like potpourri toilet spray, just gentler.
I find it more Khloe than Lamar.

That got me wondering whether there really are essentially male scents and female scents, or whether it's just the semiotics of the marketing and packaging?

Even if there are naturally gendered scents, are male scents supposed to attract male customers, or women?

How many men actually buy this stuff (unless there's a complimentary watch included), or is that entire market for women who want to smell nice, and also want their men to smell nice?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You bought a Chinese headband that had lights on it? Thats awesome. If you like womens perfumes then you should enjoy them.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Male scented products tend to be heavier and have a base of spice or musk whereas female scents are more apt to have floral or vanilla notes in them. That said, many scents have huge crossover appeal and are enjoyed by people of both genders. Wear what makes you happy but please don't drench your shirt in it. With perfumes and colognes, less is best. More just makes you seem old and out of touch.

Now with deodorants, I know several men who use women's deodorant because they claim it works better.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

Oh, I bought several.

I thinks it's LED lights to see directly before you in the dark.

We had a scenario not too long back where our state-run electricity provider (ESKOM) had to resort to "load shedding", and we were plunged into darkness repeatedly.
Two don't work anymore, and another is still in the packaging.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

You should really not wear any arm deoderant. It's poison. Usually filled with metals and other chemicals.

The BEST thing you can have is this:

alifeunprocessed.blogspot.ca...

Salt sticks are the best, I swear by them.

Also if you'd like to wear none, simply trim your armpit hair and keep it clean and use baby powder or something to keep it dry. THe bacteria in your armpit is what makes you smell, not the sweat itself.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
In my opinion male anti perspirant works better, often being very active, I have tried and womens versions aren't as effective.

As for scents, perfumes, etc, Colognes are often unisex, as are some Eau de Toilette's and Perfumes, these are concentrations, from Cologne being the weakest to Perfume being the most concentrated.

Male fragrances tend to focus heavily on musks, woods, Oud, Amber and herbs and spices, whereas women's tend to lean on more floral or fruity notes.

Personally I prefer Oud / Amber / Spice with some citrus like Bergamot / Orange and natural derived ingredients, like those from L'Occitane and Clarins or Eastern scents like Ouds from Arabia and Mediterranean Ambers.

Scents always vary on each person due to their interaction with the person's individual chemistry.

I also create my own oil blends and find these vary with the seasons, more warm and spicy in winter and fruitier, cooler and lighter in summer.

edit on 8-1-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have not read the thread but I know that womens deoderants have a slightly different Ph level to that of a mans. No idea why all I know is that there is a reason.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There are a lot of stick and aluminum free anti perspirants that work well, like Tom's, L'Occitane, Weleda, Lush do various versions, all anyone need do is a web search.

I found the crystals weren't very effective if exercising a lot.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Toms is awesome that's my other recommendation.

I just don't like scents either. Even natural scents are in effect chemicals and use over long periods can create deposits that can harm you.

As for exercising, I've never had an issue, but then again I do *maintain* that area as listed above.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Great advice, thanks!
Never heard of salt sticks, but I'll have a look.

I can't say that I'm smelly (as far as I know) and have good hygiene and clean clothes.

However, temperatures have been rising in our summer, and there are days where it goes up to 35 or over 40 degrees Celsius.
I've smelled some other men during conversation, and it can become noticeable during the day.
Perhaps different smells are appropriate in different situations.

Maybe it also has something to do with getting something for free.
Maybe a bit like big eaters at a "two for the price of one" buffet or burger special.
edit on 8-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Recently much criticized as a dreadful advert (some say it's the worst ever, although that's a bit too harsh).

Brad Pitt advertises Chanel N.5.

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems interesting.

I mean, if you don't bother acting you have to smell good to get the job.

Isn't that perhaps the point?

edit on 8-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I liked at that "toilet spray" comment.

so often I think women's perfume smells like they wafted it from out of the crapper.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I had another more frugal testing session today.

A lady dressed in silver sprayed me with a deodorant in the supermarket during a promotion.
She told me I could win a trip to space if she could spray my wrist.
I stood there waiting for my entry form, but she was already spraying some other guy.
Then I realized she was a liar, and they weren't intending to send anyone into space as the second Afronaut!

Anyway, I'm still not sure if smells are inherently gendered.
Perhaps we do learn that some scents are for boys and some for girls during early childhood.
Maybe a bit like we associate pink and blue with respective genders, but apparently this was not always so in history, and pink was once considered a strong "masculine" color, while blue was seen as feminine.

It does have a lot to do with packaging and marketing, and being habituated to smells.

The supermarket deodorant promotion reminded me of some booze promotions, and they used the same attractive female models.
Clearly men can promote sun-screens and gym supplements to other men, but cheap deodorants are promoted by flirty females.
The smell is already gone, and it really smelled like nothing.
Still, it was more fun than being served by the macaw behind the perfume counter in the boutique.
I actually feel quite sorry for these ladies in shops with expensive clothing that hardly have any customers.
So there's also a class thing going on.
The message I got today was that men shouldn't waste their money on real or expensive scents, because women only like a bit of male grooming, and not too much.

Testing deodorants in supermarkets is more difficult, except for promotions.
The one brand that does have a tester has it secured on a plastic and elastic contraption.
Usually one tries to smell the nozzle, the upturned lid, or the roll-on product.

Still, I wonder sometimes how smoking can be banned in public places, but some people also have severe reactions to scents, and they can't stop sneezing when the stuff is sprayed.
edit on 11-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join