It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something I really don't get about schools?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Umm lets see you have this big school, and all the children need to eat lunch, correct?

Sooo... why not teach the children about aquaponics and growing fish/veg/fruit and have them grow their on lunch.

Cut down the cost of school lunch to like $.50 per person and that would cover all costs for solar panels, the setup of the system and maintenance...

Student would also learn about solar and wind power and how that works, people learn best by doing, teach children how to use solar/wind, teach them how to grow food, teach them how to grow fish, and if they are old enough teach them how to clean the fish and cook it.

Children should be able to pick the fruits and veg, they should be able to clean it, and give it ready to be used and cooked in the school for their lunches...

It will teaches them much needed skills from science to food handling safety and when older maybe 13yr+ they can learn to cook the foods...

Why are we buying in crap food when there is no reason to.. Well we all know the answer to that but still, why can't we change this!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

That would be smart in a world where schools are meant to teach you something instead of conditioning you to follow orders/rules/pre established modes of behavior.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It goes against making people dependent on the government, would be my best guess! Look at people being fined for growing gardens on their own property......

A College Park couple's vegetable garden is on the chopping block again after the city threatened fines if they don't uproot it by Thursday, according to the Institute for Justice Florida Chapter.

Jason and Jennifer Helvenston are launching "Plant a Seed, Change the Law," a protest of Orlando’s law, which they say violates their constitutional right to peacefully use their property to grow their own food.

Source

edit on 8-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
and if they want hamburgers they can raise their own cattle and slaughter their own cows.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

WHy do they need to eat hamburgers why can't they eat healthy food.. god forbid you eat a salad at school or a piece of fish made of actual fish.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

and if they want hamburgers they can raise their own cattle and slaughter their own cows.

It just might teach people to appreciate the food they eat! Don't ya think? I know your comment was meant as being a smart ass remark, but your ignorance actually makes sense!

As a person who grew up hunting and fishing, and processing my own food, I learned to respect the animals that gave their lives for me to eat, unlike those who just take a trip to the grocery store and seem to have no issues throwing away leftovers!!!

Nice try! But pretty big freakin fail!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Maybe if they did have to slaughter their own cow they would think twice about eating a hamburger...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
Maybe if they did have to slaughter their own cow they would think twice about eating a hamburger...
Why would they want to think Twice, about Not eating a Hamburger?
I love me a Hamburger, with Fries and Gravy, and a nice bottle of Ginger Ale.

Thats Living.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Because if we teach them how to take care of themselves they won't need BIG GOVERNMENT to take care of them in the future is my best answer. This is the same reason new technologies are hoarded by the the higher ups so they can control who eats and who don't.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

It just might teach people to appreciate the food they eat! Don't ya think? I know your comment was meant as being a smart ass remark, but your ignorance actually makes sense!

As a person who grew up hunting and fishing, and processing my own food, I learned to respect the animals that gave their lives for me to eat, unlike those who just take a trip to the grocery store and seem to have no issues throwing away leftovers!!!

Nice try! But pretty big freakin fail!

That`s exactly what i meant, if they have to raise their own cattle and slaughter the cows, they might decide that they really don`t want a hamburger that much.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That my friend is too smart to happen in this country (USA). We believe in spend spend spend. Schools are setup to condition children not to think freely and to accept whats on your plate.

This all reminds me of an interview with one of the Rockerfellers who said we created the women's rights movement so we could get more control. They were only taxing half the nation (men worked, women taught children and took care of the home). They started the war to get the womens rights thing started and now they could tax the entire nation (men and women) and then give control of children to the states through schooling which they owned and regulated.

No matter how much it irks me that this is the way of the world, I have to give them credit, because they have setup a system so cunning that you think you have freedom when in essence you don't.

Thank you for reading my rant, I will stop here before I throw my computer out the window.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Would be a great idea, something that every school
should do, including the post's about the hamburgers.

I'd say to even go a little further and have a class that
teaches basic survival skills , hunting, fishing and how to
process and store the food.

From these parts of the world i'm from, stuff like this is very
common, not in school, but almost everyone hunt's and most
process their own meat.

But for parts of the country that rely on the store's only, and have
no clue where their food comes from, it would be a great class and
a eye opener for many.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Ok, then I apoligize for my comment back to you!
I am sorry! But I will leave it up just for others and to show I am man enough to admit when I was wrong.....

I still stand by the statement though, because I truly believe that if people weren't so graced with the convenience of the grocery store, that we would have a hell of a lot less food wasted in this world....

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

WHy do they need to eat hamburgers why can't they eat healthy food.. god forbid you eat a salad at school or a piece of fish made of actual fish.

I don't think he was suggesting they ONLY eat a hamburger.
You can eat a hamburger with a salad.

It's not unhealthy to do that, and hamburgers aren't 'unhealthy'.
Buy the right kind of beef and don't get them from fast food stores and you're good.

They sell them at health food stores too and I gotta tell you that farm raised natural beef is amazing.

- Lee

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
We didn't have school lunches in SA, although one hears of them and many charities helping out nowadays, especially in poorer areas.

We just had a tuck-shop for kids with money.
Most kids had lunch-boxes packed from home.

Nevertheless, the concept is interesting, but why stop with fish?

Why not raise chickens, goats and cows?

They could be slaughtered by the older boys (or girls sometimes) during school gatherings.

There could be guests from Muslim, Jewish, African traditional or commercial slaughter-houses to show the kids how different faiths butcher their animals.

I think it's a great idea, especially as some fields are already managed and kept neat with livestock.

edit on 8-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
well more animals would be good but many parents because they are idiots will have issues with their children killing animals... Perhaps a good approach would be they raise the animals and someone else actually butchers the animals.

I think most people would be okay with fish because so many people fish and its more normal and far less bloody then other animals..

But they could at least have some chickens, if they have grass why not have some sheep to keep the grass cut rather then having a lawn mower and pollute and waste gas money.. They could hire a person to tend the sheep rather then tend the lawn mower so no job loss there, they need other care besides the kids could give.

I just don't understand why we cant teach our kids better, even if you were willing to fully pay for a sytem like this to happen like some billionaire.. it would not pass and that is bull#....

Did anyone see how hard it is for jamie oliver to get the schools to consider cooking fresh normal food for kids and really go tnowhere with it?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Umm lets see you have this big school, and all the children need to eat lunch, correct?

Sooo... why not teach the children about aquaponics and growing fish/veg/fruit and have them grow their on lunch.

Cut down the cost of school lunch to like $.50 per person and that would cover all costs for solar panels, the setup of the system and maintenance...

Student would also learn about solar and wind power and how that works, people learn best by doing, teach children how to use solar/wind, teach them how to grow food, teach them how to grow fish, and if they are old enough teach them how to clean the fish and cook it.

Children should be able to pick the fruits and veg, they should be able to clean it, and give it ready to be used and cooked in the school for their lunches...

It will teaches them much needed skills from science to food handling safety and when older maybe 13yr+ they can learn to cook the foods...

Why are we buying in crap food when there is no reason to.. Well we all know the answer to that but still, why can't we change this!

Why don't we do it?

It's not on the standardized tests.

And I think your idea is a great one.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My daughter came home complaining today because they have "silent lunch" punishment for
two more days for being too loud during lunch.

They are not allowed to talk AT ALL. They cannot pass notes, gesture to each other, whisper
or even exchange food, as in trade an apple for a cookie.

She is thirteen...

Our children are being conditioned to comply completely to authority--no questions asked, no answers
given.

She was mad. Said she was being punished for other people's crimes. I felt bad but that is
pretty much the situation we are all in. I told her to become active and write an essay in
protest and show how unjust she believes this action is by the school admin.

....she shrugged and grabbed a book and escaped into it in her room

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

You should call and complain and threaten to sue them... that will end silent lunch

one person should not be punished for the crimes of another or multiple people be punished for the crimes of the few.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I thought about that for sure. But I am bringing up a child and I want her to learn to challenge
the unjust. It would be easy for me to make the call but I saw this as an opportunity for her
to express herself, and a valuable lesson. I've told her to respect authority but never trust
completely in authority--to always use her own judgement and trust herself first, and authority
second. I think this situation helps her understand my point a little

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join