It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag fury ignites some of Northern Ireland's worst violence in 15 years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
ITN's Neil Connery reports from Belfast, where a fifth consecutive night of violence followed a loyalist rally outside City Hall.

A spat over the flag fluttering over a local government building might sound trivial. But in Northern Ireland, the decision to stop permanently flying the British flag outside Belfast City Hall has sparked some of the worst violence since the 1998 Good Friday peace deal.

Dozens of officers have been injured in attacks on police lines by furious protesters who, night after night, have thrown stones, bottles, fireworks, and, sometimes, Molotov cocktails -- violence that police say is orchestrated by the Ulster Volunteer Force, a pro-British paramilitary group.

Link

This is the first I've heard about this and it's 5 days old. I'm not sure why this isn't getting more coverage. Do any of the UK ATS member have anymore information than what I've been able to find?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
www.itv.com...

not sure if this link will work

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'd totally missed this too...However, now that you bring it up as a story to look for?

Breaking News - Northern Ireland Headlines

It seems the headlines have been there. It just took knowing what to type in and bring up? Odd.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's been going on for weeks

www.bbc.co.uk...

A bunch of ignornant kids stirred up by criminal gangs because it's fun to fight the police and cause disruption and distress to others.

They are NOT loyal to Britain, the Queen, or anything we stand for. I'd round them all up and put them on a boat to Australia. Then sink it mid ocean......
edit on 8-1-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
it does seem like a very trivial thing considering all the other problems the world is having today, I guess some people just have too much free time and are looking for any excuse to riot and act uncivilized.
With the employment rate so high worldwide, people have a lot more free time so it`s inevitable that civil unrest will increase, people need to do something with all that free time and pent up frustration and rioting is as good as anything to relieve some stress.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I live in southern Ireland and yes this is a worrying development for our island.
Next Saturday 13th January the self same loyalists are planning to march through Dublin to make a symbolic/provocative protest to the centre of government to highlight their concerns.

Trust me this will be covered by world media.

What you are seeing isn't a political manifestation of a viewpoint regarding flags but the excuse for a disenfranchised youth (some of the rioters are under the age of twelve) to vent frustration against TPTB. it is draped in flags and religious overtones but at the core is a section of society who will take any opportunity to riot and vent frustration against anyone who they confront.

Have a look what Irish people think on Broadsheet

Northern Ireland, despite the advances and political achievements of the past decade still sits steeped in bitterness and bloodshed and has a wellspring of young people who can be manipulated by the 'old men' to cause chaos at the drop of a hat. Trust me, In Northern Ireland Rioting is considered a national sport and both police and rioters are old hands at it.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

It points to a deeper malise within Irish society and is merely fueled by flags and so called culture.
Keep an eye on Dublin on Saturday ATS, hopefully our under manned and ill equipped Gardai (police) will keep the peace.
edit on 8-1-2013 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2013 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That being said,i find there are some comfort in the knowledge that young people do have the cojones to stand and go toe to toe forces they feel are subjugating them......now they just have to be educated as to who the REAL enemiy is.......

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
It's been going on for weeks

www.bbc.co.uk...

A bunch of ignornant kids stirred up by criminal gangs because it's fun to fight the police and cause disruption and distress to others.

They are NOT loyal to Britain, the Queen, or anything we stand for. I'd round them all up and put them on a boat to Australia. Then sink it mid ocean......
edit on 8-1-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

Well said, If David Cameron or the Queen came out and said that (which I'm sure they would love to) I wonder what would happen?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I live in the North of Ireland, these flag protests are idiotic and are baring light to the identity crisis that exists within Protestants "Britishness" in Ireland, whilst the island of Ireland is gripped in economic turmoil, lack of jobs, investments etc there rioting over a flag..For nearly 900 years Ireland and its native inhabitants have been brutally slaughtered and driven from their homelands by the British Army and their colonialists. They formed a sectarian partitioned "Protestant state" in the occupied six counties of Ireland where Irish Catholics have been treated like second class citizens, until now when Irish Catholics enter into the democracy of the occupied territory Loyalism explodes with its violent hatred of Irishness, Ireland and its native people.

This is Ireland not Britain, we are militarily occupied by a foreign entity who control 6 of our northern counties, its about time the middle finger was raised to those who have treated the Irish citizens of this country like dirt. In the words of Bobby Sands "we are seeing the rising of the moon".

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I saw red till I read the last part LOL

Did you know they stopped sending convicts to OZ and started charging when they realised people were commiting crimes so they could be sent over?

Maybe thats what these idiots were hoping was gonna happen
edit on 8/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
That being said,i find there are some comfort in the knowledge that young people do have the cojones to stand and go toe to toe forces they feel are subjugating them......now they just have to be educated as to who the REAL enemiy is.......

If Only, they are fighting the very forces that are there to represent them.
They are just children (literally) without focus manipulated by old men for their own amusement.

They merely strengthen the power against them.
But well said.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekandYeShallFind
I live in the North of Ireland, these flag protests are idiotic and are baring light to the identity crisis that exists within Protestants "Britishness" in Ireland, whilst the island of Ireland is gripped in economic turmoil, lack of jobs, investments etc there rioting over a flag..For nearly 900 years Ireland and its native inhabitants have been brutally slaughtered and driven from their homelands by the British Army and their colonialists. They formed a sectarian partitioned "Protestant state" in the occupied six counties of Ireland where Irish Catholics have been treated like second class citizens, until now when Irish Catholics enter into the democracy of the occupied territory Loyalism explodes with its violent hatred of Irishness, Ireland and its native people.

This is Ireland not Britain, we are militarily occupied by a foreign entity who control 6 of our northern counties, its about time the middle finger was raised to those who have treated the Irish citizens of this country like dirt. In the words of Bobby Sands "we are seeing the rising of the moon".

Do you believe that there will be 'A thousand Pikes a flashing, by the rising of the moon'?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Instead of a smart reply, maybe you could lend that sharp tongue to the people who are silenced and imprisoned to this day by the British state.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
To quote Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle “Flags are for people who feel their political views can be best summed up by some coloured cloth”.

Really I know flags are important, but to me this issue is so trivial it’s just another excuse for the youth of Belfast to go do some rioting.

edit on 8-1-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

"Deny Ignorance" Maybe your on the wrong site because thats a completely ridiculous and insulting statement.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekandYeShallFind
Instead of a smart reply, maybe you could lend that sharp tongue to the people who are silenced and imprisoned to this day by the British state.

Maybe you could understand that I was asking a cloaked question, obviously you didn't understand what I asked, but you are new here so....

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekandYeShallFind

You do know I was only quoting what another said.

I think he has a point though, if you look at the people who are doing the rioting do any of them look like to you that they know what the Easter Rising was.

Rioting is not a way to get things changed, its just an excuse for the young lads in Falls Road to go out and have a bit of fun for the night.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekandYeShallFind

Well in that sense, so is England. We too were invaded and conquered by the Normans and have been ruled by them and their descendants for 900 years as well

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The majority of those protesting in such manner are nothing more than youths.
They are being wound up and manipulated by the Protestant paramilitaries who are exploiting the situation to increase their influence with youths etc.

The paramilitaries, on both sides, resent the advancements that have been made in Northern Ireland in recent years and wish to see a return of The Troubles, a time when they ruled and exploited their respective communities through fear and manipulation.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have very intimate knowlege of the UVF so trust me when I say they are scum..

They are nothing but gangsters.. Drug dealers.. Racketeers.. Murderers..

Loyalist?? They would stab their own grandma in the back for an ounce of baccy!

I personally know the leadership and how they work.. They do attract the younger element.. Get them while they are young... And believe me.. These kids can be feral hardcases.. Probably high on substances too.. I saw 10 year old given ecstasy and methanphetamine..

This is not about a flag.. Its about losing ground.. Money and prestige.. It the last gasp of a dying entity..

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join