It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to Improve Schools? Get Rid of Recess!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
well, are the kids A students with the current recess in place?

if not, maybe a new system is needed?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

YEAH! Keep them from being social and having any time to interact with each other, REAL GOOD for desensitizing them to fellow humans! Let's not make them stop to socialize or even eat lunch!!! In prison they have found that solitary confinement works great as a "PUNISHMENT"....

Dumbest idea ever, just another form of control. Like communists like China telling you what you can and can't do in your free time.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by furono

YEAH! Keep them from being social and having any time to interact with each other, REAL GOOD for desensitizing them to fellow humans! Let's not make them stop to socialize or even eat lunch!!! In prison they have found that solitary confinement works great as a "PUNISHMENT"....

Dumbest idea ever, just another form of control. Like communists like China telling you what you can and can't do in your free time.

Did you even read the topic?
Second line

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My son is in his first year of school. I guess you'd call it Kindergarten. I was discussing with his teacher at parents evening about his progress, and she said that despite the kids being in school 6 hours a day, they only do about 45 minutes of learning across the day at this stage, partly because their attention spans are reasonably short at 4/5 years old, and because it's also about developing skills.

I don't agree with getting rid of recess or playtime at all. When they're so young, recess is just as important as directed learning, it enables children to mix properly, develop social skills etc.
It not only gives the kids break, but also the teacher. I've no doubt that teaching 20+ kids for hours at a time can be stressful and hard work!
Without giving kids an outlet for that energy they've been building while sitting in class, you've got 20 or more kids who are gradually getting more and more pent up.
I've certainly noticed it, on days where it's been raining and the kids have been kept in all day, once my little boy gets home, he's a whirlwind! He has so much energy, I have to put some music on so he can have a mad dance about and burn it off

And for older years, I don't know what you call them in america, but from year 7 onwards, PE shouldn't be only one double period a week.
Personally, I feel this is where schools are failing most. They're so intent on cramming kids heads full of knowledge that, lets face it, they will use very little of when they are older unless they pursue a career in every single field; that they are neglecting how to teach kids how to look after their bodies.

Personally, if it was down to me, PE would be three times a week at least, and not just include physical activity but also lessons on how to make good healthy eating choices, and the science behind weight gain, fat loss, exercise, diseases and illnesses caused by obesity. Exercise shouldn't be something people decide to do because they're already overweight, it should be something people do to prevent obesity.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
...I"m so going to get fired. When that happens, I'm going to sue for unlawful dismissal and take the state for millions. Then I'll open up my own elementary school and get away from all this stupid government mandated NONSENSE and actually TEACH my kids!

Sorry, this just really really p*sses me off...

Good to see you have a plan then!
Hopefully you are familiar with Charlotte Iserbyt.
www.youtube.com...

She'd be good guidance for when you open your own school :-)

As far as physical activity is concerned, kids need 45 minutes of vigorous activity per day, minimum. Most boys need more than that.

Of course, the current trend to address restless kids who can't focus is to medicate them. Once medicated, they are much more open to Pavlovian programming techniques used in the modern education system so I understand the principles motivation here. Not to say it's right though!
edit on 10-1-2013 by UnderGetty because: comment on PE

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Why don't you start a facebook page about this? I'll share it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ireminisce
Why don't you start a facebook page about this? I'll share it.

It would be evidence of insubordination. A good way to market myself right out of a job.

I'm sorry, its a good idea. I hope the parents will do so.

I'm thinking my dissertation will be on the damage we are causing by limiting recess. There's some research out there, but not nearly enough.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I see, though you could be anonymous. I'd do it, but I'm sure it would be a better page coming from someone with a connection to the school. Hopefully one the parents will start one.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

Woahhh! That's crazy. At my school we have two 20 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. I honestly couldn't cope with that little time to 'refresh' between my classes.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

hi, yeah we too have noticed that recess is being cut back here in arizona..

my wife took our son out of his montessori school because lack of physical time, our son needs to run around everyday or he gets all negative, lol..

children specially now days children need much more play time, but the powers that were are choosing to brainwash/program their next slaves over "free" time..

lol

well we say screw that!

lol

we are raising free children, free from the system yo

life is about life, not numbers...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It's very simple.

The younger the child, the more physical activity they need. This includes time to use their imaginations.

Young children, especially boys, cannot learn unless they are physically satiated.

Taking away recess, cutting PE, these are detrimental learning.

Sometimes I think administrators are only in their position because they are incompetent teachers, or extremely good brown-nosers.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Sometimes I think administrators are only in their position because they are incompetent teachers, or extremely good brown-nosers.

At least 90% of them!!

And the number is growing

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

You should try dealing with some of the idiot head honcho's in Australia, some are really in it for themselves, get that promotion to the 'city' (head edu office) and they will do anything to get it without caring about the students or teachers and support staff, once they got what they wanted, the damage is too late.

I once worked at a school where the principal was all about "I.T", that's great and all but it was an old catholic school that hasn’t had any large work (renovations) done for 30+ years, there was massive problems like with exposed wiring sticking out from the walls, classrooms leaking like a rainforest every time it rained, basic equipment non existent. I was against the increased budget in I.T and I was the bloody I.T manager, but she really wanted to make a name for herself....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

hmm well I am hearing you and I agree completely but seems you are up against the wall and I remember a very wise Judge had to make a decision that was difficult to say the least (an old aged Pensioner had been caught stealing gourmet dog food to eat it for herself) and was charged. Well, in his wisdom he gave the Pensioner the maximum sentence and everyone was outraged, so outraged that media got involved and the issue became very public.

That brought about a lot of changes.

You are in a difficult situation and perhaps you need to 'go by the book' and follow all proceedures even down to calling an ambulance... of course the ambulance might not be needed but in your profession, you can never be too sure if a child faints?

Due to low blood sugar or fatigue...

You could also send all of the kids to the sick room. If your going to make noise and try to change something that is wrong... sometimes you need to escalate it with a variety of responses.

In fact, call ten ambulances for ten children and the media will arrive and it will be up to your ever so smart Principal to explain.

edit on 13/1/2013 by Thurisaz because: clarify

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I say the best way to improve schools is to do away with administration. Take alllll the administrators in the district (at least 10 times more than is needed) let them draw lots. The winners get to stay, the losers have to go. Let the teachers, students and parents come together and decide how many lots get to stay.

Problem= solved

...then strategically pick which teachers follow them out the door

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join