It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this ?? Found on Google Mars. Possible Unknown surface anomaly on Mars??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Came across this article on an apparent object/unknown surface anomaly on Mars , looks interesting , do not know what it could be, that is if its not down to a simple camera glitch or Google gremlins. Just throwing this in the mix to see if any member can maybe see something that can shed some light on this or offer some insight to either put this down to a genuine unknown surface anomaly or mundane explanation,did a ATS search and nothing came up i may add.Images and video from link source provided below as well as some text.

Date of discovery: January 7, 2013 Location of discovery: Mass Wasting, Southern Hemisphere, Mars

Waring writes, “I was looking over Google Mars and discovered what looks like the equivalent of the Star Wars land cruiser. You can make out the shape and structure very well and even the two vertical wings in back. Using Google Ruler I found that the craft is 61 meters from nose to end, 33.3 meters from tail to tail, 29.23 meters wide and 4.8 meters thick.”

He placed a marker near it and labeled it “UFO crash. “If you paste that into the search box you may find it easier, or you can paste the Longitude and Latitude into the search box and it may work. The grey photo part of the map is called “Mass Wasting in Southern Hemisphere crater,” says Waring Latitude: 29°28’14.39″S Longitude: 172° 7’55.46″E

link; ______beforeitsnews/beyond-science/2013/01/ufo-crash-discovered-on-mars-61-meters-long-2440504.html

edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
kinda reminds me of a star wars landspeeder, but is probably a rock

edit on 1/8/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Problem is Google Mars is notorious for these kind of image anomalies so the chances are this either isn't really there or it looks completely different on the original Mars image .

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I checked in google mars too . Couldn't decide what it was

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Do you know what you opened yourself up for?I have seen quite a few of these posts.A bunch of comedians will post replys such as a rock, a hole or dirt with pictures with circles and arrows on them .Ignore them don"t fall to their level stick to your beliefs,ATS is about disscussion not attacks or ridicule.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Problem is Google Mars is notorious for these kind of image anomalies so the chances are this either isn't really there or it looks completely different on the original Mars image .

Was thinking along these lines to, pity we cannot get the original Mars image to do a comparison.

Cheers folks for the feed back so far.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
Do you know what you opened yourself up for?I have seen quite a few of these posts.A bunch of comedians will post replys such as a rock, a hole or dirt with pictures with circles and arrows on them .Ignore them don"t fall to their level stick to your beliefs,ATS is about disscussion not attacks or ridicule.

I wasnt attacking him, I gave my opinion about what the anomaly looked like, its not an attack

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Right on!

Almost each time there's an 'anomaly thread', Google is invested....

- Google Street View:

- Google Earth:

- Google Mars:

- Google Sky:

- Google Moon:

See here: Low resolution pictures - Don't believe everything you see!

Extract:

'Faces' on Mars

As this subject has been debated over and over, I thought that pictures speaks louder than words:

High resolution picture source

High resolution picture source

Lots of other Mars pareidolias here
edit on 8-1-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Seeing as before its news is the source I wouldn't take this too seriously..

They aren't known for their true stories...As well as they are their rediculous stories...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

I wasnt attacking him, I gave my opinion about what the anomaly looked like, its not an attack

I agree I was typing that post while you were responding.You did not attack you gave a opinion.There is a difference between the two.You were being sincere.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Seeing as before its news is the source I wouldn't take this too seriously

ufosightings daily is the original source [ Posted by ScottCWaring at Monday, January 07, 2013 ..its his personal Finding ]

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

I believe I've found the original picture , I Googled "mass wasting in southern hemisphere crater" and got this , Ive compared the two best I can and they look the same to me ...

I haven't found the UFO but admit I haven't looked that closely , if anyone fancies having a go please post if you find it

edit on 8-1-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here is a picture of that "UFO" up close....

To me it doesn't look like a UFO yet. I just have to wonder if it is possible to manipulate the google mars software?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
After inverting the color of the image [ Taken from google Mars ] , the object looks very different from its surrounding [ Looks like its a foreign object ]

edit on 8-1-2013 by Equiinox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

I believe I've found the original picture , I Googled "mass wasting in southern hemisphere crater" and got this , Ive compared the two best I can and they look the same to me ...

I haven't found the UFO but admit I haven't looked that closely , if anyone fancies having a go please post if you find it

edit on 8-1-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

Nice detective work gortex, so we have the original and the sources picture matching up or looking to be similar, not really that experienced myself to do any thing with the original image but if someone who is it would be appreciated, again cheers to all for the feed back. Working together as a team to get at the solutions or explanations of things is the way forward i believe.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
FYI....I am about to discredit this picture in 3....2....1....

It was photoshopped....

As you can tell where I have highlighted it looks like this picture was pasted it and then followed up with some horrible blurring.

Btw, I used GIMP to sharpen the image so that I could work with it better.

Now you tell me....are you a believer or a better skeptic now?

This picture or claim is a total HOAX!
edit on 8-1-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well,
Whatever it is, it has its fair share of crater marks, that or it is see through. To be honest, it is just part of the surface, it only looks like something at the edge of a ridge because of the lighter shading mismatch. Look closely at the 'body' and you can see the edge of the ridge running right through it, and matching up with the darker ridge edges.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It just looks like a green blob added to highlight a grey blob...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
FYI....I am about to discredit this picture in 3....2....1....

It was photoshopped....

As you can tell where I have highlighted it looks like this picture was pasted it and then followed up with some horrible blurring.

Btw, I used GIMP to sharpen the image so that I could work with it better.

Now you tell me....are you a believer or a better skeptic now?

This picture or claim is a total HOAX!
edit on 8-1-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

I see what you mean, but that could be just bad work by Google, with slightly different resolutions. Just to add NASA has done stuff like that, could even have been them in this case. They are still at it with Curiosity self portrait, look at the row that caused.
edit on 8-1-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I see what you mean, but that could be just bad work by Google, with slightly different resolutions.

False. I increased the sharpness on the ENTIRE picture, and highlighted the ENTIRE picture. If the craters had these fine lines around them along with a little blur, then yes, there could be some skepticism this picture is real.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that this was a cut and paste job. I do photo editing in my own free time (not UFO stuff) and so I am familiar with Gaussian Blur techniques and tracing.

I have no doubt in my mind this is fake. Unless you use Google Mars and prove otherwise, this picture is a HOAX!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join