It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride in toothpaste. Baking soda as an alternative?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Before I made this thread, I used the "search" option on ATS and found many threads regarding this topic, but didn't find an exact answer to my question. I decided to start a thread in the hopes that someone has any new information concerning this topic.

About a week ago, I had an appointment with the dentist and found out that underneath my fillings, I have a massive amount of deterioration happening. Up until a few months ago, I used to be bulimic, a sweet eater, and a soda drinker, so my teeth have not been in the best shape over the past few years.

I used to use Crest a long time ago, and up until a week ago I used Arm & Hammer for about four years. Both of which contain fluoride. I am not saying that fluoride caused my tooth decay considering my bad choices concerning my health, but looking at the conspiracy surrounding fluoride, I am unsure.

The dentist urged me to change my eating habits and gave me a prescription for PreviDent 5000 and told me to buy the mouthwash called ACT. Both of these contain a high amount of fluoride and are said to help prevent the formation of cavities and to help rebuild enamel.

After a week of using both of these twice a day, I decided to look up more on fluoride and found a few posts that explain the negative side effects that fluoride has on the human body.

Fluoride Conspiracy

Fluoride Conspiracy #2

Fluoride Conspiracy #3

Gathering from the information that I have read on both ATS and the thread's sources, I have found that fluoride has been linked to cancer, calcification of the pineal gland, and many other health problems.

The main issue that I am having is finding an alternative to toothpaste. I understand that there are fluoride-free toothpastes on the market, but I am wondering what the benefits and problems are from using Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda).

Of the threads and sources that I have read, I have not found an exact answer to what the pros and cons are to using Baking soda. There are people who say to not use it because it apparently eats away at the enamel on your teeth. I am wondering if there is any new information regarding using baking soda as an alternative to toothpaste as being beneficial?

Thank You,

~Quyll

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
My dentist recommends using a paste made from baking soda and water as a whitening agent. It is mildly abrasive but does not harm enamel.
I have also been using baking soda dissolved in water as an antacid. I have done this for many years with no discernible ill effects.
Mixed with vinegar it will foam like alkaseltzer but does the same.
Look up uses for baking soda on the net, it has many uses.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

Couple of things. I avoided fluoride from the time i was in grade school til around my late twenties. Then i started using whatever paste was on sale, usually crest. By 30 I had my first cavity. I'm off the fluoride toothpaste again and use a holistic fluoride free one instead.

But here's the thing with fluoride. It builds up over time, and ingestion of fluoride is 100% bad for you. Topical fluoride, like that in toothpaste, is actually good for you, brushing with fluoride is good for your teeth, drinking fluoride tainted water doesn't help your teeth as it skips right past them.

Drinking fluoride = bad
brushing with fluoride = potentially good unless you eat a lot of toothpaste or something.

As for baking soda.. The whole deal with using baking soda was to get something abrasive in there, to clean out your teeth, they aren't smooth and baking soda does a good job, but can indeed damage your enamel and you should be cautious of brushing with it a lot.

Baking soda does not help strengthen tooth enamel or do any of the other good things brushing with fluoride does, it is in no way a replacement for fluoride.
edit on 8-1-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
We can get the best of both worlds Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste, makes your mouth really feel clean been using it for 15 years.

www.armandhammer.com...

Iam 38 and only have 1 filling

edit on 8-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I think I am going to continue using Arm & Hammer toothpaste. After I went to the dentist, I have taken all sugar out of my diet and am eating much healthier. It's only been a week, but I have lost 4 pounds! I am drinking only bottled water and eating lots of fruits and vegetables!!

If I stop eating sugar, the cavities and continuous deterioration should stop. The toothpaste contains baking soda and if fluoride does or doesn't help teeth, I'm getting only a small amount of it. I don't drink tap water.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i've been brushing with baking soda for years, i absolutely recommend it!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

I know of baking soda being in some toothpastes, albiet a very moderate amount. Bakng soda is a harsh abrasive and can actually wear the enamel down on your teeth with chronic use. You would think it wouldn't be that harmful since they're put in something as good as cookies.

I wouldn't recommend using the kind straight from the box more than twice a week, especially if your teeth start becoming sensitive. Then I'd back off a bit.
One thing is for certain, with baking soda you will have whitened teeth. I've heard some people use baking soda with hydrogen peroxide. That's for teeth whitening though.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Thank you for your response! Can you explain better why you love it so much? Thanks!

edit on 8-1-2013 by Quyll because: typo

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16
My dentist recommends using a paste made from baking soda and water as a whitening agent. It is mildly abrasive but does not harm enamel.
I have also been using baking soda dissolved in water as an antacid. I have done this for many years with no discernible ill effects.
Mixed with vinegar it will foam like alkaseltzer but does the same.
Look up uses for baking soda on the net, it has many uses.

Totally agreed with you

Bicarb is excellent especially as an antacid (heart burn/indigestion)
i have been using it for years

i can even have a dirty bum burning kebab and the bicarb soon sorts that out
Do not underestimate the positives of this compound it is BRILLIANT

im sure there is thread here where a doc cured cancer using bicarb,he explained
that cancer is a fungus and easily eradicated using it, oral or iv

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I use a salt water mouthwash every night. I have a cavity on a tooth for more than two years. I had several toothaches on the damaged tooth. I still drink soda frequently but, after every meal I must swish warm water to avoid unwanted damage to my teeth. I brush everyday but, twice a week I actually use toothpaste on the toothbrush.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Do you stick it up your bum? or just eat it for that to work?
funny question but I love hot kebabs and chillis etc?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jrbx2012

I've heard that some people use a mixture of baking soda and table salt as a toothpaste. It sounds pretty abrasive on the enamel though.

For tooth pain, I've heard that you can use "Oil of Clove". It takes the pain away quite nicely from what I understand!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
One of the best cleaners for teeth is soot from a wood burner as it contains nanodiamonds.

Nanodiamonds

Strange but true

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess117
reply to post by Quyll

I know of baking soda being in some toothpastes, albiet a very moderate amount. Bakng soda is a harsh abrasive and can actually wear the enamel down on your teeth with chronic use. You would think it wouldn't be that harmful since they're put in something as good as cookies.

I wouldn't recommend using the kind straight from the box more than twice a week, especially if your teeth start becoming sensitive. Then I'd back off a bit.
One thing is for certain, with baking soda you will have whitened teeth. I've heard some people use baking soda with hydrogen peroxide. That's for teeth whitening though.

I hope you mean baking powder in cookies, otherwise they could be nasty.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Beartracker16 because: Had to add text

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have a small pyrex container that I put on the stove and dump in some baking soda and coconut oil. after I mix it a bit I'll put a couple drops of peppermint oil in it and mix it once more. After it cools it's good toothpaste for a months worth of use.

I've never had a cavity.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Been using mostly baking soda moistened with hydrogen peroxide for twenty years, with occasional application of flouridated toothpastes. No new cavities in at least twenty years --still have all my teeth in perfect order except for two caps and one slowly decaying tooth with a large filling.

Having said that, I grew up with heavily flouridated water (Washington D.C area, mind-control capital of the world). Most of my elementary school classmates had visible flouridosis of their adult teeth. For whatever reason, at that age, I believed those white patches were caused by flouride deficiency, rather than flouride superfluity. Except for a tiny, almost invisible spot, I have no flouridosis.

I took rinsable flouride treatments of my teeth at age 15-16, on my own initiative, which possibly is why my teeth are so strong. And in spite of being made retarded thereby, I still managed to finish three advanced degrees at Ivy League schools -- though can hardly tell my arse from a post hole for practical intents and porpoises.

My conclusion: flouride is only 99 44/100% evil. The rest is good for your teeth.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

A lot of recipes call for baking soda and baking powder.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wanna improve your teeth and mouth?

You're on the right track, OP. Eliminating sugar and soft drinks is the first thing to do.

Next, you need to eliminate wheat.

Look at it this way, ever see those pictures of the African natives, who eat their native diet of meat, milk and blood? Perfect pearly white teeth. And they don't brush. They don't eat a western diet.

Read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Dr. Weston Price. He was a dentist, and back in the 20's and 30's he traveled the world looking at dental health. The short story is that all the indigenious populations eating their natural diet had near perfect teeth. As soon as bridges and roads were built and western food became available (jams, wheat and sugar) their teeth rapidy went downhill. And the next generation had narrow pallets and not enough room for thier teeth. Think about it. What does nearly every kid in the US need? BRACES. Becuase the pallet is too narrow for their teeth.

You can get the book as a free PDF download, or buy a hardcopy. I'll warn you that it was not written for entertainment. It's a difficult read. But worth it. It should be required coursework for every dental student and dental hygene student in the world.

Oh... I don't eat wheat, sugar and cokes. Just grass fed beef, fish, nuts and vegitables and some fruit and berries. I brush my teeth with coconut oil. Coconut oil has natural antibiotic properties.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Your post is extremely interesting! I will have to check this out and do more research into the effects of wheat on your teeth.

Coconut oil? I would think that using only coconut oil to brush your teeth would have negative side effects. I will look more into that as well.

Thank you

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
reply to post by davjan4

Your post is extremely interesting! I will have to check this out and do more research into the effects of wheat on your teeth.

Coconut oil? I would think that using only coconut oil to brush your teeth would have negative side effects. I will look more into that as well.

Thank you

Negative side effects from brusing with coconut oil? Like what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join