It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's 2013...Soon you can apply to colonize Mars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

ok, I guess I'm getting caught up in all the ATS paranoia on Pyramids and Triangles representing the Illuminati!!

Anyway, nevermind.

I think i'd like to participate in the challenge but as to whether i'd actually go, if I passed.... thats another question.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

How can we make that possible? I'm not a creative writer, plus I'm a fairly new member so I wouldn't feel right creating the thread for it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

U2U masqua, he is a top contributor in the writers forum and the main go to for all things creative on ATS. He is always open to new ideas and may even help out with the contest and the subsequent collaborative efforts.

I can think of some fantastic scifi writers here that could do an outstanding job on this idea and even help the Mars 2013 project. You never know...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
U2U sent and I made sure to give you credit for the idea. I think it's great and would love to read the stories! Since I finished World War Z a couple of weeks ago I've been itching for another good read.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ireminisce
U2U sent and I made sure to give you credit for the idea. I think it's great and would love to read the stories! Since I finished World War Z a couple of weeks ago I've been itching for another good read.

I recommend reading The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. The (late) master of sci-fi wrote a bunch of short stories back in the 50's about humans colonizing mars. When I read about Mars One my mind kept going back to Bradbury's stories. I'm hoping the real-life version goes better than the fictionalized version.

Incidentally, World War Z was a great read...I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie and it looks like they ruined it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

I saw it too. It's supposed to be before the book was written so no, it won't be like the book. They'd have to do flash back to make it like the novel. Leonardo Dicaprio and Brad Pitts companies were bidding for the movie rights. If Dicaprio had gotten it I think it would be more true to the original story.

I'll have to check out Bradbury. Thanks.
edit on 9-1-2013 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
When I find out where to apply then yes I will. Ever since I can remember the thought of going into space has been a dream of mine. It's all very exciting no matter who gets to go to think that one day if not us as seniors but then our children and their children will be able to go to mars, that is just such a wonderful thought.

Where does one go to apply?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Mars-One.com

You should sign up for the news letter and they'll let you know when they start accepting applications. It's supposed to be very soon.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Relax,with neutral dimension driven craft a trip to Mars will be easier and faster than finding a parking stall at the Mall at Christmas time.

Supplies?/Ha ha ha ha,you will be able to order Pizza from earth if you dont mind waiting a few hours.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Okay I will, thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would go in a heartbeat. There is nothing new left here on this planet that someone has not already seen or done. Nowhere to set out to explore that hasn't already been documented. Humans have always felt the drive to set out for the unknown, but that dream is pretty much over with now. Move along. There's nothing to see here folks. Ok, I will. I'll move on right to Mars! And it would be such a sense of satisfaction to be part of something so historical. Mankind's first settlement on another planetary body. WOW

(And please, nobody argue with me that Oh, there are new species being found in caves in the rain forest all the time. Or, we know more about the surface of the moon than what is under our oceans. That isn't what I mean by saying everything here has already been seen and done.)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Having read through the website, very interesting read btw, all I can think about is what if someone loses the plot up there?

Think how far an environment like that could potentially push even a human of the strongest and most soundest mindset. The slightest trigger could set someone off and its not like there would be any help coming. Sounds like a space horror film to me..

Bloodbath anyone?
edit on 9-1-2013 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

That's what I keep thinking. My husband brought up the point that if someone or even a group of the astronauts decided to start killing, torturing, etc. there would be nothing we could do about it. One of them might let that go to their head. Also, if the plan works and they're successful at getting a small colony on Mars, the people will be responsible for deciding what type of politics to use, what kind of education for children, and of course they'll have to figure out some type of punishment for when anyone breaks a law. Who ever they choose as a leader could easily let it go to his head that he is the leader of Mars, he controls an entire planet!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Also I am thinking about the ratio of Women to Men etc? Would it be even or what? Be dangerous to be a woman on your own up there....

I just think that its got the potential to turn very nasty given the right triggers etc. Especially with a 24/7/365 stream. Perhaps I have watched too many films? Just cant help thinking there is a sinister undertone to this...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think the posters saying it takes some risk are right on. Risks need to be taken to advance our race.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Hmm grow you're own food, never have to deal with a mass shooting anymore. no bills...

dont sound to bad

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Maybe this very same thing happened thousands of years ago on another planet.... except we came to Earth!!

Maybe on this other planet a Nuclear War occurred and only a few people were able to get off the Planet and arrive here....

On another note: Why do they need donations?? Surely all the big corps would be in on this....

edit on 9-1-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

That would make a great story too!

I think big companies might have reservations about it. If something horrific happened their names would be associated with that event. On the other hand, it seems like it would be hard for a company to pass on seeing their brand name on the side of a rocket headed for Mars.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecludedGamer
this should be in the speculative forum. we barely have the technology to get there, and if we do it will be 3 or 4 people. hardly a colony.

Why in the speculative forum? We do have the tech to get to Mars - its a matter of expense, and they fully plan on doing it. If they can bring the supplies and equipment needed to build a dome, grow food, live and thrive in a new land, then by God it is a colony. There's no set number, and while we might not all be saying "Mars has been colonized until it's become more fully functioning, 4 people will absolutely meet the definition of having colonized Mars if it is a permanent colony.

Ever play Age of Empires or any similar game? You start out really small, and you build from there, just like real life. Though 4 to Mars is less than several hundred or thousand on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria, its a HUGe step - we've got to start somewhere.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Is this even legit? If it is, youwould probably have to be mighty rich just to afford a seat, like the movie 2012!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join