It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian troops shot dead near Kashmir's Line of Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Violence has again flared up in one of the most contested area's of the world.

Two Indian soldiers have been killed by Pakistani soldiers near the Line Of Control which defines current administrative areas.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Kashmir has been a constant source of dispute between India and Pakistan.
Matters are further complicated by territorial claims of China within the region.

There have been several military confrontations in the past.

en.wikipedia.org...

Relations between the two countries had seemed to have been improving with recent discussions and improved sporting contact.

But this could easily prove a serious setback with India seemingly very likely to respond in kind.

Both India and Pakistan have nuclear weapons.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

It is only a matter of time before one of these tit for tat killings escalates into a full blown military confrontation.

Where would that leave the rest of the world?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
In a conventional war. India would probably wipe the floor with Pakistan unfortunately Pakistan has nukes, and are probably crazy enough to use them recklessly if their backs are against the wall.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

Both sides have nukes - and I'd suggest that both sides would be prepared to use them under certain circumstances.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It was a retaliation against an Indian raid 2 days ago: www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
In a conventional war. India would probably wipe the floor with Pakistan unfortunately Pakistan has nukes, and are probably crazy enough to use them recklessly if their backs are against the wall.

Really? Pakistan stalemated with India in all but one war..

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Exactly what we would be lost if both Countries nuked themselves into oblivion? Cheap call centers? Alpaca wool?
Personally I would feel bad for the animals, like tigers and elephants. Watched a show the other night about Elephants, turns out the wild ones in India don't care much for them either.....

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Glad it was a thread from you who seems to elaborate and form a discussion, not just someone who says "It's World War III!" etc.

Well I seem to recall watching the news back in 2002 or maybe 2003 when this was in the limelight again and there were those in Pakistan openly advocating nuking India (or it might have been the other way around I can't remember).

Personally I've often thought that the next major war (say in the next several decades or so) would be a Sino-Indian conflict as they are the two rising superpowers. There is potential for the U.S. to intervene on the side of India and Pakistan to support China.

But that's just my imagination going off on a tangent. Hopefully the situation will cool down and this won't go to anything more extreme.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Exactly what we would be lost if both Countries nuked themselves into oblivion? Cheap call centers? Alpaca wool? Personally I would feel bad for the animals, like tigers and elephants. Watched a show the other night about Elephants, turns out the wild ones in India don't care much for them either....

That's a pretty shallow and ignorant attitude to take and quite disturbing that you seem to have more empathy towards animals than human beings.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
One of these days all of this squabbling might turn into a full blown war , but they've been doing this for a long long time . Even when it does turn into a war ( I can't remember how many times it has , but it's been a lot ) it's more like a massive hissy fit that only lasts a couple of weeks than a real war .

One thing about nukes is they make all out war to expensive , at least among responsible nations . I do know that the more countries that have them the higher the odds that sooner or later somebody's going to do something stupid .

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Pakistan is a rogue state ...mass producer of terrorism .. keeper and trainer of terrorists ...

India has tried to bring this to light so many times.. but nobody listened until they were attacked themselves by terrorists trained.. sponsored.. and sent by the Pakistani ISI ..which in itself is a terrorist group..
The US knows this ..and so does the world .. and they will deal with those criminals in the end ..

Only because Pakistan is in such a state .. total chaos .. mullas .. talibans..tribesmen .. terrorist groups.. all sorts of mixed bag of criminals in one place ..and anyone of these could get their hands on the nuke button anytime ..
It's a sensitive matter that has to be dealt with carefully ..since they are a threat to the entire world ..

If there IS a full blown war .. you can bet the US will use that to take over Pakistan and finish it once and for all ..

just my opinion folks .. start the flaming ...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Thank you.

The whole region is a powder keg and even the slightest confrontation has the potential to flare up into a major military situation.

It seems as if every effort is made publicly to improve relations between the two nations but the cold, harsh reality is that the two nations have an intense dislike and distrust of each other.

I have several friends of Indian or Pakistani origin.
It is not innacurate to say that they despise each other and I can't mention friends of the other ethnicity when in the company of friends from either group.
I have frequently heard friends from both sides advocate nuclear war and the mass genocide of the opposite nation.

These are rational people who otherwise are relatively free and open minded.
They live very 'westernized' lifestyles and are 'good' people.

Now if these people who are attempting to free themselves from some of the more repressive aspects of their cultural heritage can feel nothing but hatred for each other what chance have people in rural India and Pakistan who know no alternative have of breaking free from the cycle of hatred?

We all know of the power and influence that the militants and religious extremists have in Pakistan - and we'd do well to monitor the exact extent of that influence etc.
But their are also Hindu and even Sikh militants in positions of power in India who will never allow Pakistan to gain the upper hand - no matter what.

And who knows how China would react to any given situation?

The Kashmir is definately one of the most sensitive area's in the world and has the potential to become a major regional military issue - possibly global.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I remember the stand off in 2001, really thought it was going to kick off. This was just before September 11th .

The 2001–2002 India–Pakistan standoff was a military standoff between India and Pakistan that resulted in the massing of troops on either side of the International Border (IB) and along the Line of Control (LoC) in the region of Kashmir. This was the second major military standoff between India and Pakistan following the successful detonation of nuclear devices by both countries in 1998 and the most recent standoff between the nuclear rivals. The other had been the Kargil War.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by junglimogli

Yeah, anyone who does not agree with the US is a rogue state...

Originally posted by Freeborn

The Kashmir is definately one of the most sensitive area's in the world and has the potential to become a major regional military issue - possibly global.

I agree. It's the only nuclear triangle in the world (Pakistan, India, China). You can bet in a war, all three would become involved. And remember, all these 3 countries are huge military powers.
edit on 8/1/2013 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Mamatus

Exactly what we would be lost if both Countries nuked themselves into oblivion? Cheap call centers? Alpaca wool? Personally I would feel bad for the animals, like tigers and elephants. Watched a show the other night about Elephants, turns out the wild ones in India don't care much for them either....

That's a pretty shallow and ignorant attitude to take and quite disturbing that you seem to have more empathy towards animals than human beings.

It is what it is Brother. I bet I will get more truth from a tiger than a human......... Oh and NOTHING can change my attitude towards folks in that region. Do some research, they on the whole are awful people.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
they on the whole are awful people.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

How so?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
-
edit on 9/1/2013 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Do some research, they on the whole are awful people.

Judging by your comments I presume you've done some research. Please share it with us. I'm particularly interested about the time you visited Pakistan and India and your experiences there.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
India has claimed that one of the soldiers killed was beheaded and the body of the other soldier was also mutilated.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Indian government is coming under increasing domestic pressure to take a 'tough line' yet they have also expressed a wish to prevent 'escalation'.
They have also re-iterated that Pakistan miltary were responsible for the deaths and not Pakistani extremists.

However, latest reports suggest that the recent confrontations and subsequent deaths could have been sparked by nothing more than a 70 year old Grandmother seeking to rejoin her family in Pakistan.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I suspect this will blow over, until something equally trivial sparks another incident.

But the region is still a powder keg and any serious breach of the LoC could have far reaching consequences.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

Times have changed check India's arsenal out now. They just upgraded there missiles and their military is looking towards China not Pakistan

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
A pakistani soldier has been sot dead by Indian soldiers.

Quite predictably, Pakistan says the shooting was unprovoked whilst India claims it's soldiers were responding to Pakistani fire.

www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join