It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney World to track visitors with wireless wristbands

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Just to make a quick point-- they don't take your fingerprints. It only records the size of your fingertip as an extra identification so no one else can use your ticket to go in if you leave.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Everyone seems to have missed this part of the article:

Compared with many companies foraying deeper into the world of data collection, Disney seems to make it very easy for customers to control what and how much information is shared with whom or to opt out of the program completely.

The New York Times reports that, for example, mascot characters could use the information transmitted by the MagicBands to greet visiting children by name — and even wish them happy birthday if so informed. But parents could also choose not to share their children's information with park employees in that manner.

The Times said a new part of the official Disney World website, called "My Disney Experience," makes it fairly straightforward to manage MagicBand privacy controls for each member of a family. (There's already a MyDisneyExperience app for iOS and Android devices.) Parents could share more information about themselves and less about their children, or choose whether to link a credit card to the wristband or simply use it as a ticket to a park or attraction.

LINK

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

it is linked to your credit card, and you personal info all there for any one with an RFID reader to see

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Disney has data security professionals on staff and that personal data will be encrypted as part of the design.

Otherwise, Disney would have class-action lawsuits on day 1 of implementation, not to mention huge PCI fines in relation to credit cards.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I'd agree with you on that. Disney has the best of the best of the best because they pay the best ....for the areas they really care to have done 100% right. They may treat their "cast members" as cattle in the stock yard and a few steps BELOW the guests that come through the gate but my understanding of the 'sensitive' areas of the Disney Empire is they are on a par with Google for the best willing to sit on waiting lists to get a career inside the Kingdom.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

we shall see nothing is safe from being hacked copied nor form leaking, why do think they make metal wallets , to keep your card number from being hacked, what are they going to do about them Chips?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AvisNigra

Well seeing as your comments show your thoughts...
The one with the "NWO phantom" strikes a cue.
You don't see the issue with any privacy concerns.
Apparently you don't see any type of conspiracy to it either.

Whereas I do.

I also see huge issue with the need for more electronic control.
Any type of electronic information that is transmitted wirelessly can be read.
Now, I'm sure there are security measures being implemented.
One can only hope that nothing nefarious will happen.

What I'm not sure of, is when people will decide their lives are private again.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I was just thinking "they will claim it's for child safety" then read the paragraph that they would use it to greet children by name.

If kids get lost, I'm thinking that they'll easily be able to track them down too.

Still creepy though.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by AvisNigra

Well seeing as your comments show your thoughts...
The one with the "NWO phantom" strikes a cue.
You don't see the issue with any privacy concerns.
Apparently you don't see any type of conspiracy to it either.

Whereas I do.

I also see huge issue with the need for more electronic control.
Any type of electronic information that is transmitted wirelessly can be read.
Now, I'm sure there are security measures being implemented.
One can only hope that nothing nefarious will happen.

What I'm not sure of, is when people will decide their lives are private again.

You didn't answer my question.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Let me ask you this: Do you own a cell phone?

Now you should take into consideration that movement profiles are already recorded and sold. Along with tons and tons of other information that were gathered manually in the old days.

It is already happening, nobody is dying from it, all that happens is that you get personalized google-ads and some unwanted mail.

I don´t want to downplay the potential risks but I think we shouldn´t go too far with the fears.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Nightaudit because: edited

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

we shall see nothing is safe from being hacked copied nor form leaking, why do think they make metal wallets , to keep your card number from being hacked, what are they going to do about them Chips?

The card number is not on the chip itself, nor would it be transmitted over the airwaves. The chip would have a unique identifier that is logically linked to an entry in a database where Personally Identifiable Information is stored and encrypted.

If you are ever in the mood for a short read, check out the PA-DSS, which documents all the data security requirements for merchants surrounding credit card information. (Disney is a Tier 1 merchant)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Next they will have screens that talk to you by name (total recal)

Then these screens will be fitted in vending machines that becon you to bye one of its products. Bye bye Disney kiosk attendants.

Kids will think this is cool and when they grow up the RFID chip will seem normal practice. By the time they have their kids, they will be chipped at birth.

Agenda much?

edit on 8-1-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

well yes i do it is old 2009 model just for phone calls no pics or anything else, as far as email i use it only to say hello how are you or delete junk, CC cards nope cash only if i did have a Credit card it wold be a debit card with no more than $100 on it. RFID/chipping is just the tip.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

well then they lied about hat from the link

The "MagicBands" will be linked to customers' credit-card information and function as room keys and park entry passes, thanks to radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips, which are most commonly used in wireless toll collection and public-transit turnstiles.
did you get that one more time

The "MagicBands" will be linked to customers' credit-card information and function as room keys and park entry passes,

Now what does that mean?"will be linked to customers' credit-card information"
Lets see first, the number, then name, amount/ credit limit, address and other info a credit card holds, once a person has this they can and do become you.
Still willing to risk the chip? then go for it. I'm not!

One more thought what if this is a try out for a mass use, track one person in thousands to see their movement/ buying habit , eating habit, and drinking habit/ how often and at what time do they go back to their room, whom with?
What would this mean? For what reason?
One more way of keeping an all seeing eye on you.
oh is your web cam on? Do you have one, if yes it is off, and is it really off?

edit on 8-1-2013 by bekod because: line editing

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hope they have good encryption
and this sure makes it easier for them to collect data about how people are using the park so they can tailor it even more.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

did you get that one more time

The "MagicBands" will be linked to customers' credit-card information and function as room keys and park entry passes,

It's a logical link, not a physical one.

Here's how it works...

RFID Chip: I am RFID chip number 41955435
DATABASE: I have assigned ID, 41955435, to Joe Blow in my extremely secure storage area
RFID Chip: I don't care about all that, I am RFID chip number 41955435 and I will announce my presence at reader locations.
DATABASE: Sometimes I wish I were just an RFID chip. Life would be so simple.

The end.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

A park worker looks up from a monitor
Park worker - you don't look like a 12 year old
Hacker - I have a growth defect

hackaday.com...
ttjcrew.com...
edit on 8-1-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Our one family vacation each year or two years is to go to Disney and stay for 10-15 days (we stayed 17 days this past Nov-Dec). With two young girls who are wild about everything Disney it's still a fun trip for all of us.

We stay in one of the resorts and get a dining plan, we're able to get a good enough deal every year to make it affordable. It's expensive but not prohibitively so.

While I would have serious issues with RFID tracking by the government I have no issue w/ it being used for something like this. Knowing the parks, rides and resorts as well as I do it should be a huge convenience for us and I have no issues with being able to track us inside the parks / resorts. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works w/ the new Fastpass system and if it makes my hotel room door unlock without a card and the gates into the resorts open w/o a card it sounds cool to me.

Disney does have actual towns it develops and manages (Celebration, FL - architecture.about.com... ) and if they started using this tech there I would be concerned.

Like any other technology / tool RFID has it's uses and can be used for great good or great evil. It's up to us to set the limits and draw the lines. As far as Disney using it inside the resorts to replace the World Gateway Cards - sounds like a good use of the tech to me.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Sounds like we do basically the same thing (2 weeks+ and we usually stay at one of the three monorail resorts because we love the easy access. And meal plans are essential.). As I stated earlier I'm interested to try the system as well.

ATS is such a kooky place.

Originally posted by ecoparity
Our one family vacation each year or two years is to go to Disney and stay for 10-15 days (we stayed 17 days this past Nov-Dec). With two young girls who are wild about everything Disney it's still a fun trip for all of us.

We stay in one of the resorts and get a dining plan, we're able to get a good enough deal every year to make it affordable. It's expensive but not prohibitively so.

While I would have serious issues with RFID tracking by the government I have no issue w/ it being used for something like this. Knowing the parks, rides and resorts as well as I do it should be a huge convenience for us and I have no issues with being able to track us inside the parks / resorts. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works w/ the new Fastpass system and if it makes my hotel room door unlock without a card and the gates into the resorts open w/o a card it sounds cool to me.

Disney does have actual towns it develops and manages (Celebration, FL - architecture.about.com... ) and if they started using this tech there I would be concerned.

Like any other technology / tool RFID has it's uses and can be used for great good or great evil. It's up to us to set the limits and draw the lines. As far as Disney using it inside the resorts to replace the World Gateway Cards - sounds like a good use of the tech to me.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
Next they will have screens that talk to you by name (total recal)

Then these screens will be fitted in vending machines that becon you to bye one of its products. Bye bye Disney kiosk attendants.

Kids will think this is cool and when they grow up the RFID chip will seem normal practice. By the time they have their kids, they will be chipped at birth.

Agenda much?

edit on 8-1-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

This is a possibility that I was considering as well - what this could eventually lead to.

Disney World is a self-contained city. They have their own security, fire department, medical services, food services, and an entire underground structure (literally) for employees to keep the city running. There are living facilities (hotels), food, stores... everything that is needed in a city. They even have their own self-contained "'government", which although ultimately under the jurisdiction of normal channels, does govern itself internally.

It is a perfect testing ground for something that could eventually be implemented in other cities. It is not necessarily that they are doing this with some kind of NWO goals, but that is the type of scenario it will lead to. This is not a matter of "if", but of "when". It will be "normalized" through methods such as amusement parks, until the population begins to accept it as the norm.

Just like in Disney, where having the chip facilitates access to your living quarters, your food, your purchases - eventually everyone will need a chip everywhere if you want to buy anything, or bank, or live. And these chips will be used to track our every purchase and our every move. And this chip can be used as punishment, when your access is removed due to some crime.

This implementation in Disney will be a preview of our future. A test of things to come, which will be tweaked and modified until it is the perfect control for the population. Anyone who does not recognize this, and thinks that it is just a neat technological tool, is underestimating its power.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Cloning the RFID chip would not allow access to the personal information.

Seems like a lot of work and risk just to gain access to a theme park.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join