It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney World to track visitors with wireless wristbands

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Disney World will be using RIFD chips to track visitors. The bracelet will be a ticket for the rides and can be used for payments. It will also be used to track the location of visitors and will contain personal information.

I am with those mentioned in the article who are creeped out by this. Something that will transmit locations and personal information to employees is very creepy. The article says that the characters in the park will even be able to greet your child by name, because they will know they are coming.

Could this be a test for something bigger? This sounds like a very innocuous way to introduce such a technology, and yet to test it on a wide scale with a large number of test subjects. Disney World may not seem threatening, so people will not question the motives.

I am not so sure that I trust the "opt-out" that is available. What is to stop them from still implementing the tracking and personal information, yet just not making the information available to most employees, so no one really knows it is tracking?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Wow, great find OP. You can see already how the NWO is slowly pushing its agenda into tracking people using RFID chips. And what a great place to brainwash people than an amusement park!

Glad I won't be going there anytime soon!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Never been there... and Disney movies suck anyways.
Bunch of brainwashing crap anyways. Even the founder of modern Satanism (Anton LeVey) wouldn't let his children watch television let alone the crap from Disney.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
Disney World will be using RIFD chips to track visitors. The bracelet will be a ticket for the rides and can be used for payments. It will also be used to track the location of visitors and will contain personal information.

I am with those mentioned in the article who are creeped out by this. Something that will transmit locations and personal information to employees is very creepy. The article says that the characters in the park will even be able to greet your child by name, because they will know they are coming.

Could this be a test for something bigger? This sounds like a very innocuous way to introduce such a technology, and yet to test it on a wide scale with a large number of test subjects. Disney World may not seem threatening, so people will not question the motives.

She asks, questioning their motives.

See the problem there?

I am not so sure that I trust the "opt-out" that is available. What is to stop them from still implementing the tracking and personal information, yet just not making the information available to most employees, so no one really knows it is tracking?

www.nbcnews.com...

Well, you don't have to go to a place that openly tells you what they're doing.

?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

Yep sounds like a test to me. Is it correct for me to say that Disney take fingerprints before you enter the park? If it is, then that, and the fact that merely buying a plane ticket to travel to the States gives US authorities the right to access all of my personal data is yet another reason why the US will never again see my tourist dollar

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
That sounds like Disney.

We did the Disney World vacation package deal in late 2010 and will never go again. I wish we hadn't at all except my Son had never seen a Disney park and so had no idea what it used to be or had now become. He loved it. I couldn't stand it and spent a week feeling pissed off and ripped off. It's *SO* over the top and unbelievably commercialized in every possible way now it's obscene. Tracking visitors?? Oh this won't be for characters to say Hi to little Johnny. It'll be used to target the Smith family as a whole for whatever Disney figures will sell best to each group or individual.

If it wasn't those infernal pins they were doing (collectible pins... every employee had them for 'trade' and dozens of places around the park selling the 'special ones'...with my wife and kid spending as much time on that crap as what we went there for) then it was the rides almost all converted in one way or another to a Disney movie theme instead of the traditional stuff. Haunted Mansion? No.... Nightmare Before Christmas. Pirates of the Caribbean? Yea, only with all aspects of the new movie series of the name...all OLD stuff changed to fit.. and on it went.

All for $400 a day...and we were on one of the cheapest plans for staying inside the park. The Magic Kingdom was only Magic to the money counters.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
We take our kids to DisneyWorld each year and love it. I think the bracelets are an interesting idea, but then I don't fit the mold of ATS thinking there's agenda everywhere or a demon behind every bush. The paranoia here reminds me of a friend's grandmother who literally thinks demons are everywhere causing everything - you have a cold? Demon caused it. Lose your job? Demon. That rock music? Influenced by demons. Did you say a "curse word?" Demon made you do it.

I'm not certain how one goes through life bearing this much negativity.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ahhh Disney.

I haven't been there in 10yrs and it's only 40mins away. I have done all the theme parks in Orlando, Disney and Universal. I find them both overpriced to the extreme! I remember when FL resident could go for 30 bucks now it's 80 for a resident! The food is horrible and overpriced and so is everything in their gift shop. It's all Disney related stuff with inflated prices. For kids yes it's cute but it's damn expensive to take a family there.

I definitely won't be going there with my kid if they are going to track visitors. It is none of their business where I live or what my kids name is. What is next tracking people in the mall?!?!

Disney is definitely the creepiest place on earth

On a side note. I went to Wet N Wild years ago and they asked for my finger print!! I refused and of course it pissed everyone off inline including the people I was with. I told them they had no legal right to my finger print for purchasing a ticket to a water park. There were no signs stating it was required and it was a violation of my rights. I refused the finger print and they made me step aside and wait then they let me through like the way they had in the past. I had been going there for years and this was the first time they asked for finger prints. It was a amazing the amount of people who thought nothing of it and just did it anyways. I haven't been back since.
edit on 1/8/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

As with all seemingly "harmless" privacy intrusions, this may be the start.
Until people actively decide that it is NOT needed, it will continue to take place.
In the near future, it will be commonplace to see this kind of technology.
For some reason, I see people embracing it.
Heralding it as the new societal saving grace!
"My kids got lost....but the workers at Disney easily found them!)
Un-freaking-real, but probably soon to be a media article.
(Dare I say, a self-fulfilling prophecy?)

We all know that this bracelet is absolutely not necessary.
But advocates and ignorant will praise its existance.
Claiming their use is for better profits or reduced security risks (sound familiar?).

These tracking bracelets are unnecessary!
But this problem gets much, much deeper than this.
It will be the "norm" soon.
If one allows it to be.

I must blame the ignorant.
Those who just don't see the issue.
Those who continue to pay for their own tracking.
And the tickets to Disneyworld.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Yep sounds like a test to me. Is it correct for me to say that Disney take fingerprints before you enter the park? If it is, then that, and the fact that merely buying a plane ticket to travel to the States gives US authorities the right to access all of my personal data is yet another reason why the US will never again see my tourist dollar

You beat me to the punch on this one.
Fingerprinting was bad enough, this action ensures that I will not return to Disneyland.
Track this...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
These tracking bracelets are unnecessary!

Going to DisneyWorld is also unnecessary. I'll still go each year with my wife and kids. We love it and have no issues paying for it. Know what else is unnecessary? Cell phones. Email. My bank. I could live perfectly happily without any of those three, but I continue to use them. Could some nefarious group track me through those? Maybe. Are they? Who knows. All I know is these things are a convenience, just like these proposed bracelets at DisneyWorld. No one is forcing me or you to use them.

Do you use cellphones, email or banks?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

You beat me to the punch on this one. Fingerprinting was bad enough, this action ensures that I will not return to Disneyland. Track this...

Then I assume when your small child is lost or kidnapped in a Disney park, you won't hold the park employees responsible for not doing enough to protect your child.......

Now, without digging into this further, I'd have to assume these would be using active RFID, meaning the bracelet itself is actively powered. Passive RFID is the type most people are used to, fast pass at the toll booth or gas station, etc etc, these only work when they receive power from a rfid reader.

For this system to work as a real time tracking system, they would either have to place rfid scanners covering the entire park inside and out.... or have them actively transmitting locational data at all times.

But again, it's your choice to go to the park, your choice to get the fast pass or not, and no one is making you wear it once you leave the park.

I'm with the other poster, the more time i spend here, the harder it becomes to justify coming back, it's almost impossible to have a real discussion here, and everything is now a sign of TPTB and impending doom.

I've been to Disney, well the one in Florida. It's a swamp with overpriced crap everywhere you look, it's McDonalds without the food, they cut right to the toys.

But I'll tell you this much, if that fast pass meant less time standing in line with a bunch of cattle corralled between little red velvet ropes desperatly trying not to die from heat stroke, I'd get one. And if I was taking a child there, while being the type that wouldn't let the kid wander to begin with, I'd slap one on the kid too.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I think that the wristband idea is not bad at all. There is no personal information on there, if it is used to track the movements of park visitors where is the problem? Visitor streams can be analysed way more efficiently and in the long run transaction times and therefore waiting times can be reduced.

This is a very useful way to use this technology and I don´t see why we should necessarily have to see the worst in it.

Seriously, what harm could be done?

RFID´s in general are not bad at all, it is the intention they are used with that could be potentially harmful, and I don´t think that´s the case here.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Isn't this just the modern version of the paper wristband that you have to wear as proof of paid entry to concerts, festivals etc?

I had to wear a paper one this past Halloween at Screams to show I was old enough to drink. (The grey hair and beard obviously makes me look under 21.
)

And as Phishywaters posted. If it helps parents find their kids who wander off and go missing, then great.

If you don't want to wear a tag, don't go to Disney.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It's not like the bracelet is permentently attached to you.

I don't see a problem there.

I'm having a hard time believing people would just let themselves be fingerprinted though.

Why would anyone let their fingerprints be on record, and complain about a bracelet that can be taken off?

Besides, don't hospitals already use RFID bracelets if they have elderly patients that are able to wander off into dangerous territory?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Humm....all I have to say about this is.....and it is nothing about NWO although this would be a good test.. the issue I would have as a guest is security of my data...Myth Busters already had the RFID show canceled because it is easy to snatch the data and money people don't want us to know our identities are just being broadcast to anyone that can tune it in. So they tie the band to your card what stop the crook from duping the tech that reads it in the park? Answer.....nothing. Watch some of the DefCon talks or attend a conference if you can it will open your eyes to how weak security is on tech. One of the best IMHO

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Yes Disney does take your index fingerprint as you enter the park, it is then matched electronically to your ticket.The reason is simple. it prevents you from entering the park, collecting the tickets from your group, leaving the park and giving them to other family/friends to enter without paying. Nothing nefarious about it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Not one of you get it, unbelievable!!!! all any of you did was complain about DW not the system nor the fact that it is linked to your credit card, and you personal info all there for any one with an RFID reader to see

The "MagicBands" will be linked to customers' credit-card information and function as room keys and park entry passes, thanks to radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips, which are most commonly used in wireless toll collection and public-transit turnstiles.
so what? you say, not everyone can get a RFID reader... oh yea do a search and see how easy it is. The fun fact is all your info is collected and stored for them to get info on you,

The MagicBands are part of a bigger system called "MyMagic+," which also allows the theme park to collect sensitive personal information, including names of guests both young and old, their purchasing and riding patterns and real-time location data.
so why your out and about , going on that ride some one could be copying you

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
RFID is basically a wireless credit card in terms of information gathering. A cell phone is also a wireless tracking device. The only difference between a cell and RFID, in terms of tracking info, is the cost of the RFID is cheap, and range is less.

This is not new technology. Given that you can already be tracked via cell, credit cards, ez-pass, face rcognition, voice recognition...etc, RFID at Mickey's world, is most likey only for Disney's closed-circuit; to improve the user's experience, crowd control, event planning, and for safety. Although, it is possible to use it for nefarious purposes, there are better ways already in place.

Imagine if the crowd were getting too thick in one part of the park due to an event. Another event can be conjured up to draw some of the crowd away for safety reasons. It would be transparent and effective. Again, wether it's used for good or evil, is still questionable.
edit on 8-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
Not one of you get it, unbelievable!!!! all any of you did was complain about DW not the system nor the fact that it is linked to your credit card, and you personal info all there for any one with an RFID reader to see.....

You're assuming that everyone is using credit cards or debit cards. We don't. We have debit cards, but do not use them conventionally and we don't use credit cards. Those who use credit cards have bigger worries than some NWO phantom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join